Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2007 3:50:12 PM EDT
Okay, here's the deal.  I have a Springfield 1911A1 GI model .45.  I love the look, reminds me of my younger days as a army medic.  

What I want to do is replace some of the innerds to make it a more reliable/accurate gun.  I want the exterior to look like a parkerized weapon of old.

I have owned some 1911s, Colts and Kimbers, but I have never tinkered with them.  What kind of barrel, triggers, etc. would I need to turn a good pistol into a great pistol?

I love the look as is, but I know I can rebuild it, make it stronger, faster . . . like the Six-Million Dollar Man.

This is going to be a monthly project for me . . . once a month, buy and add some top-shelf components.

Any helpful advicw would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to share my opinion since you asked !

I guess that depends on what you consider a "great" pistol to be.  A gun that shoots reasonably accurately and is reliable is what I consider to be a great gun.

I've often thought of sending my Colt Series 70 repro to a smith.  But then I wonder why.  It's been incredibly reliable with over 2k rounds through it and an assortment of JHP.  It's more accurate than I could ask for.  It's quite beautiful as is.  

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you spend some time with the gun you'll probably realize that it's just fine as is.  I do understand how this place (arfcom) can make your firearms feel inadequate -- seriously, but don't buy the hype.  This place has put me in that trap a couple of times only to realize that that latest "bestest" product really didn't make my life better or provide me with a better toy/tool.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest you replace the extractor with a spring steel one. Like it was org designed with
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you stick to the Big Boys on part brands, I would imagine you'll be just fine.

Some of the better/best bbl makers in no particular order: Wilson, Kart, Nowlin, Bar-Sto & Ed Brown.

Ditto for internals, IMO.

Brownells, Midway & Denny's Shooter Supply will have all of the goodies you'd want. You didn't list it, but *I* would also swap in some better sights than the narrow GI-type sights. If you have the 3-dot version, then disregard.    

Brownells has THE best customer service in the world, IMO. Their no BS return policy made me a loyal customer years ago. Not to mention one can spend both a month reading their catalog as well as wanting to spend $10,000 with them by doing so.    

Good luck!  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It looks like the sights would be a PITA to tinker with.  If I can find some rear sights that match the front sights, then I would like new rear sights, Bomar, or something low-profile.

Like I said, it is a project/hobby gun to tinker with until I am happy as a pig in slop.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Measure the Barrel OD and the slide ID where the barrel bushing goes.  then Call EGW and have them machine a bushing for you.

Replace extractor with a ed brown hardcore  or Wilson bulletproof part.

Replace sear with an EGW Hard sear. Replace hammer with a toolsteel one. Have gunsmith fit hammer and sear for a crisp trigger.

replace grips with some with some bite.

ditch that dam ILS system.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:32:42 AM EDT
[#6]
What's an ILS system?

Also, does the GI use Series 70-type parts?

I am liking the advice thus far.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:53:00 AM EDT
[#7]
ils is the sprinfield mainspring housing saftey system. Real easy to replace. just buy a new mainspring housing (i like ed brown) and all the guts (4 parts).

All SA are std 1911 fire control, what most people call series 70.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#8]
post some before during and after photos!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I suggest you replace the extractor with a spring steel one. Like it was org designed with

That one probably takes the prize!

In fact, its the first thing I am doing. I am waiting on my Cylinder and Slide made one as we speak.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top