Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 5:04:49 PM EDT
Been lurking a long time!!!!!   I've been putting a commander back in near factory specs.I would like to know  if anyone out there knows of someone who could refurbish
NOT refinish my Colt. Or do you have any info on doing it yourself.
THANKS
Russ
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what you mean.

If you want the mechanics of the gun put back in factory condition, Colt can do that for you.
Since they built the gun, NO ONE knows more about it then they do, plus they have all the parts and tooling to do the job RIGHT.
Price and turnaround is very good, with repairs usually running about one month max.

As for doing it yourself, that depends on what's wrong, and what needs to be replaced.
This can be as simple as giving the gun a deep cleaning, and replacing all the springs, to major parts replacement for parts badly damaged or switched out for non-original parts.

If you want the satin nickel finish refurbished, that's not possible.
Colt used Satin Electroless Nickel, also known as "Coltguard".
Like all plated finishes, once it gets ratty looking, all you can do is have it stripped and refinished.
Again, Colt can do this and have it looking factory-new.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a satin nickel CC, the finish had a few light scratches, was looking "dead".

My gunsmith buffed it for me and it looks better than before.

Here are some close ups, I had a Wilson beavertail installed too.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The gun's  mechanics are very sound.I am hoping to refurbish the finish while keeping it as original as possible.Just wondering if anyone knew of someone who does this this type of work. I thank you all for the replys!!
Russ
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The gun's  mechanics are very sound.I am hoping to refurbish the finish while keeping it as original as possible.Just wondering if anyone knew of someone who does this this type of work. I thank you all for the replys!!
Russ

You can't "touch up " a plated finish. You either clean and polish it with the proper
stuff or you have it Stripped and Plated again.

Most people use chrome or stainless cream polishes, soft clothes , and elbow grease.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome NeedAnotherGun !
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the welcome!!As I said I've been lurking for quite a while.Lots of very good info.I do a great deal of reading but not a lot of typing. Fantastic site!!
Russ
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, if you are in S.LA we should compare notes. Here's mine. You can see improvement on the existing finish, but where it's rubbed away, it's gone. That requires a refinish or acceptance.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Pulpsmack
I'm in the Thibodaux area.Went to Slidell show looking for parts for homebuilt Commander to replace SN Commander since it will be restored the best I can for
now and semi-retiring it.Been having it for over 20 yrs.
Would like to meet you sometime if possible.

Russ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top