BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 4:47:10 PM EDT
I bought 3 of the "used" Sistema Colts.
I safety checked them according to this:
www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.htm

One failed the disconnector test.

I bought a new sear and disconnector from Brownells, when I installed both the hammer locks back and will not release.

The reason why I bought a new sear is that there are small groves in the sear where the hammer sits.

The other two Sistema's do not have these groves.

If I install the new disconnector and the old sear then it does not fail the disconnector test.

Are the wear groves in the sear no big deal?

I swapped out the disconnector and sear from one of the other Sistema's I have, it works fine.        

Final question:
The hammer on the Sistema in question is smooth on top, no serrations like the other two Sistema hammers have, nor like the Springfield 1911 I have.

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My original sear had the same grooves from the feet on the hammer. When I purchased the Ed Brown parts from Midway, a new sear and sear spring along with a frame repair kit, I also purchased a sear jig. My old sear had enough length that I put it on the jig and gave it a few strokes on the India stone and smoothed it out. I am not knowledgeable enough to diagnose your problem but I wonder if it has something to do with the sear/hammer contact with the new sear and the old hammer. What kind of sear and disconnecter did you get?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What kind of sear and disconnecter did you get?

Wilson from Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Does it feel like the grip safety is not disengaging? Try reassembling the pistol without it. That will let you see if it may be causing a problem and if it is not you should be able to see things enough to get an idea of what is going on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does it feel like the grip safety is not disengaging? Try reassembling the pistol without it. That will let you see if it may be causing a problem and if it is not you should be able to see things enough to get an idea of what is going on.

Tried that. Still the same.
I had an email from someone, I'll probably need to get the sear/disconnector/hammer smithed as a unit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's how to check the disconnector:  pull off the slide, remove the hammer, thumb safety, and grip safety.  You can leave the sear spring and MSH in place.  

The blade at the bottom of the disconnector should engage the feet of the sear, and when you pull the trigger, the sear should pivot.  

With a finger, hold the disconnector down from the top like the slide would, if it were installed.  Pull the trigger again. The disconnector should now be disengaged from the sear feet and moving the trigger shouldn't move the sear.

Some disconnectors are too long out of the box, and will need to be shortened to properly engage the sear feet.   Measure the new disconnector (I'll bet it's a good bit over 1.30") and compare it to the length of your old disconnectors.

The disconnector can be shortened from the top.  Make sure to retain the same bevels which it originally had.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and somebody probably sanded the knurling off the hammer spur.  Some of these Sistemas have had some garage smithing already done to them from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was going to suggest something with the grip safety as I had this problem, but it appears that you already ruled it out.

Good luck.

I replaced the disconnector in my Sistema and now have a mushy trigger with a lot of creep.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I had almost the exact same thing happen.  I replaced only the disconnector to fix the "firing out of battery" problem that I couldn't replicate once out of the Gander store anyway.

Like you stated, once the new part was in there, the hammer would lock back.

I eventually took out the disconnector (don't remember the brand, it was a $12.99 stainless one from Brownell's) and compared it to the old one.  They don't seem to be the same shape with the same size hole--the new one is almost more curved, with a bigger "belly".

I put the old one back in and have not worried about it.  Even CCW'd the Sistema today for the first time.  There's something "warm" about this one (a 1954 model) that my 1960 sistema doesn't have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top