Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 12:18:51 AM EDT
Anyone own/shoot Springfield Armory 1911 A1s?

Just curious. I’m thinking about getting a new(er) one to have built up as a MEU(SOC) pistol.

Wanted to hear your thoughts on em.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the MilSpec in stainless...a buddy has it now...it ran near flawless after break in...seemed to be very well made...I was turning away from 1911s and sold to a buddy as a back up to his TRP (which he loves as well...)...flash forward 6 months and I end up with a new assignment and buying a new 1911...I bought a SiG STX (shiney object...;)...but NO complaints with the Springer...would have gotten a TRP but for the price...(I got a killer deal on the SiG)
Good Luck and enjoy!
Bill
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Two of my buddies have 5" Loaded models. One was purchased NIB and the other was purchased used with some hefty (and well done) customization. The stock one runs great, and the custom job runs pretty good, though I've had a few FTB's with it on the first round.

For a base as a custom build, I think it would be fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:01:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Bought a Springfield Loaded 1911 A1 Loaded slightly used. No modifications. Runs great.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 5" stainless that I've had for about 11 years and never had a bit of trouble with it.  I also have a Champion (4") that's about the same.  My family usually only buys Springfields when a new 1911 is needed.  My brother has one and my father has 5 or 6.  I did have a series 80 Colt, but I sold it.  That should explain everything.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a stainless steel GI model that has around 1600 rounds downrange. Not 1 single malf.,I love. The reason I got it instead of the Mil-spec was because of the traditional lines and the small sights,like a true WWII .45. I was thinking of buying a Mil-spec SS barrel and bushing for it though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#6]
They SUCK! They suck SO bad, I'm thinking of selling all four of mine.....................    
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had one for several years now, love it.  All the typical custom features along with night sights right out of the box.  Shoots very well.  

I traded a Colt 1911 for it and to be honest, like the Springfield much better.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a stainless milspec as my general purpose 1911, nothing fancy, nothing too tricked out or flawless, just a good all around beat me pistol.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Are they Imbels?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Are they Imbels?

My loaded is. I believe only the Operator, TRP, and Professional models are made in USA. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't had a single problem with mine. I personally didn't like the full length guide rod but a quick call to Brownells solved that. No issues of any kind. It runs flawless, though I prefer mine with an 18.5# recoil spring. Definately a personal preference because the stock 16# spring shot very nicely too.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Where you at ? I am near Medford and have the GI model. If you are close I would let you throw some lead down range.
IM if you want
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys, thanks for all the great info.

It is my understanding that most of the pistols frames and slides are forged in Brazil by Imbel, and they’re supposed to be great forgings. Don’t know if they are machined in Brazil and shipped here, or is it just the raw forgings that are shipped here. Either way, you guys and everybody else seems to think highly of their product (pretty much all of em).

Something else I’m hearing form a lot of smiths and fast shooters is that Springfield is a huge supporter of the shooting sports, something I hadn’t really thought of. Many others (my beloved Colt) aren’t. Like I said, I hadn’t really thought about this, but it is a big deal. My Crystal Ball shows a Parkerized SA Loaded in my near future; just wish it would work that way with the Powerball numbers.

SLF_XM15, thank you very much for the kind offer, I really appreciate it.. Unfortunately I’m nowhere close, I’m up in Salem. If you get a chance you ought to bring that Springfield up to Speed Steel in Albany, almost too much fun. Also, check out the hometown forms, good bunch there.

Do all the new pistols have the Brazil-Imbel markings?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Good base guns. My brother has one built off of a WW2 model. I don't care for the roll marks, but otherwise....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My trp does not.  I believe certain models are finished right here.  And, around 1000 rounds down mine with only 1 malfunction which was on the very first mag I shot.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My milspec (imbel) runs great and is quite accurate. I like the fit of it in my hand. It eats everything I feed it without a hiccup. I changed the grips and mainspring to the McCormick slim carry grips and a flat mainspring to CCW easier.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:28:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Mine runs just fine. Only have a few hundred rounds (maybe 900) through it. Mostly ball. Accuracy is okay. Like was said before, it's probably a pretty decent platform to build on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My Loaded and GI do, but my Mil-Spec doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#20]
What do you guys think of the TRP? I have a Champion TRP that required two trips to the gunsmith to get it to where it would feed ....now it;s great but it was something of a struggle to get there!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two now, but I have owned 5 total. All have been excellent firearms. My EDC is a stainless steel model.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:24:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got 700rds down the pipe on my mil-spec with no problems at all, accurate too! Imbel's quality is also known in the fal rifle world, my fal rifle is built on a imbel gear logo receiver and it has never had any issues since I got it in 2003, thousands of rounds fired so far and counting. If I do my job I can make head shots at 400 yrs w/irons

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Right around 2K rounds through my TRP Operator. I love it. Only malfunction I've had occured in the first 200 rounds. Shoots like a laser. I would not hesitate on a Springer at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top