Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2006 10:07:51 PM EDT
Hey all I am praying that Santa will be bringing me a Smith and Wession 1911 PD for Christmas this year and I was wondering what type of finish that I want it to have. I love the look of blued guns but I am also VERY anal about my guns. I am afraid that the blueing will over time get pretty worn. I would like to stay away from Chrome. So I was wanting the advice of ARFCOM as to what finish is the best as far as durability and protection from rust, sweat, and being carried in a holster (my CCW gun). I really dont even know what type of finishes are available on the smiths. I am headed over to smiths site now. Thanks for your suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm pretty sure SW1911s are std blued

some of the other better finishes, non-chromed: parkerized, a coat (such as armory coat, duracoat, etc), or Black-T/Teflon
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i'm pretty sure SW1911s are std blued

some of the other better finishes, non-chromed: parkerized, a coat (such as armory coat, duracoat, etc), or Black-T/Teflon

-So what are the best finishes from best to worst and the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 4:02:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you said no chrome, but maybe you're thinking real shiney chrome. I prefer matte hard chrome, it is more of a dull silver/gray and is quite hard and durable.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey all I am praying that Santa will be bringing me a Smith and Wession 1911 PD for Christmas this year and I was wondering what type of finish that I want it to have. I love the look of blued guns but I am also VERY anal about my guns. I am afraid that the blueing will over time get pretty worn. I would like to stay away from Chrome. So I was wanting the advice of ARFCOM as to what finish is the best as far as durability and protection from rust, sweat, and being carried in a holster (my CCW gun). I really dont even know what type of finishes are available on the smiths. I am headed over to smiths site now. Thanks for your suggestions.

If you want the "ultimate" finish that lasts this is the one that comes to mind.

www.robarguns.com/roguard.htm
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Rogard is the shiznick... I have a commander size that has roguard with np3 internals and controls.  Love it and has worn well as my ccw for the past 3 yrs.  Good stuff and worth the price of admision IMHO

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:38:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't they Melonite their black guns?  If so, that is the way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top