Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 4:07:36 PM EDT
Couldn't seem to correct my flinching problem with my old Series 70.  I gave up and put it away.  Bought a .22 Ruger Mark III so I could see some bullseye success.  After working really hard for about a month with the .22 at 25 yards, with some success, I had an urge to shoot the .45.  So I got it out and immediately put a 1 inch group in the 8 and 10 rings at 10 yards.  I was completely shocked!  Even at 10 yards, I've never shot the .45 that well.

I never really thought about it before, but this makes alot of sense.  I Highly recommend this for anyone who's having a problem with flinching.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a flinching problem once.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Dry firing excercises help too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear you.  My first centerfire pistol was a 9mm S&W 669.  I had read it had mild recoil and was easy to shoot......maybe for some, but NOT me.  It is a little shorty 9mm and it torqued in my hands pretty good and the muzzle blast/flash were impressive at the indoor range.  I fought it for a while till I went to the range one day and a guy next to me was shooting a stainless Colt Gold Cup in 45 ACP.  He was cutting nice size holes in a tight group at 15 yards with light loaded 200gr. SWC lead reloads.  I commented on his groups and he offered to let me shoot his pistol.  Man what a difference from my little 9mm.  All shots were in the black and it was a pleasure to shoot.  I sold that 9mm to a co-worker and bought.....a stainless Colt Gold Cup in 45 ACP.  It is still my favorite pistol.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah.......I also doubled up on ear protection.  I think that also helped.  Before working with the .22, my Series 70 and me were grouping (if you can call it that with an 8 to 10 inch pattern) about 6 to 7 o'clock about  4 to 5 inches low.  This, at only 10 yards!   One of the range managers was watching me shoot the Colt and had told me I was dropping the gun just before firing, another kind of flinch.  After I couldn't seem to correct this, that's when I said "enough" and put it away.

But the real key for me (I'm convinced) was the strong effort put toward hittin eye with the .22 at 25yds.  Never having been any kind of marksman (just a can shooter from way back), I never even thought  of trying to be accurate at that range.  Now, the extra concentration and mental discipline has really made me aware of what it takes to be accurate and what it takes to think through the flinch of a .45.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:48:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Dry firing and feeling for the reset worked for me.
Anthony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top