Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 1:53:36 PM EDT
Well the bushing in my old Series 70 finally broke today.  I'd kinda been waiting for it.

What's the best thing to replace it with?  An "original" similar bushing?  Or, a newer solid bushing?

Will this require any special fitting?  Will any bushing do?

What's the advice on this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine broke a long time ago, I got a replacement finger type collet, and the gunsmith who put it on milled down the barrel just to the point of where the collect type bushing mates up.  I got the milling down for free since I bought the collet from him.

Yes, Colt 1911 parts break, there's no shame in replacing broken parts with OEM originals
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd get a regular style smith fit bushing.  50 bucks that will cut inherent group size in half.  And not break.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Is a smith fit bushing a brand name?  I'm not familiar with that name or type of bushing
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait....you mean a bushing fit by a smith.....duh!

Is there a particular brand or style that is any better than another?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
It's design is inferior and it is liable to do the same thing again, but if you wish to be  purist, then by all means, be one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Just get a gunsmith to fit a national match(gunsmith fit) bushing.

They are oversized on the outside,  and undersized on the inside. hand fitting one is easy,  and makes the gun more accurate.

Don't ever use a collet bushing,  it's asking for trouble.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Just tried an Ed Brown "drop in" bushing.

It literally rattled around the barrel.  So that doesn't seem to be the replacement answer.

Does anyone know if one can just buy a new barrel and matched bushing and just drop the whole affair into my Series 70?  Would this require any special smith work?

That way, I can just "retire" the old Series 70 barrell and collet bushing, which could be put back in some other time, if I or some future buyer wanted the  "original condition"
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#10]
If you need a stainless collet bushing I will also swap one out for your EB bushing.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:32:52 AM EDT
[#11]
dump the collet bushing.

I just dropped a barrel into my friends series 70 (match grade drop in bull) and the pie plate grouper started shooting 2inch groups at 25yds.  

That was like a miracle.  I'm not convinced the collet bushing does very well in the accuracy category.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys.  I already sent the Ed Brown bushing back to Brownells.

so.....Greeno, are you saying that all I have to do is buy a barrell and a matched bushing and swap it for the series 70 barrel and bushing?  No muss, no fuss?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want to do it right,  get the KART Easy Fit barrel from brownells.
Get the little tool kit for it too.

That damn thing will shoot incredible groups when your done.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sorry guys.  I already sent the Ed Brown bushing back to Brownells.

so.....Greeno, are you saying that all I have to do is buy a barrell and a matched bushing and swap it for the series 70 barrel and bushing?  No muss, no fuss?

If a barrel is drop in, you don't want it. The proper question is not "drop in or gunsmith fit," but rather "what level of fitting should I pay for?" A well fit barrel in a 1911 is a thing of beauty.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll have to look into the KART idea.  

Combat Jack.  I fully appreciate what you say.  However, it was/is my intent to do little or no alteration to kinda preserve the "original" nature of my old Series 70.  So, if I can do something that doesn't require alteration the the colt, I'd rather try that first (understanding the self imposed limitations).  I fully intend to acquire (soon) a top end 1911, for future use in target work.  So, I would anticpate that my serious shooting would be done with that gun, and leave my old Mark IV stock/original.

This might not make sense to alot of 1911'ers, but it's just my way of thinking, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'll have to look into the KART idea.  

Combat Jack.  I fully appreciate what you say.  However, it was/is my intent to do little or no alteration to kinda preserve the "original" nature of my old Series 70.  So, if I can do something that doesn't require alteration the the colt, I'd rather try that first (understanding the self imposed limitations).  I fully intend to acquire (soon) a top end 1911, for future use in target work.  So, I would anticpate that my serious shooting would be done with that gun, and leave my old Mark IV stock/original.

This might not make sense to alot of 1911'ers, but it's just my way of thinking, I guess.

I sort of felt the same way with my old S70. I just want balls out and don't regret it. I probably spent more than I should have but I don't regret any of it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#17]
There is no reason to swap out a Colt BBL if you don't need to, especially if it is fitted correctly. I had B Bilby, [sadly deceased] fit a NM bushing to my NMGC and it has worked perfectly for years now. It shoots itty bitty groups on the days I can actually shoot. He polished it out to match the rest of the gun [pimpin polished SS [[ultimate finish]]. When done I had a grand total of $425 into it including the cost of the gun. [hehe $350 bucks for a NMGC with MAYBE one box thru it]

Do not take it to a "smith", take it to a 1911 smith. There is a BIG difference between the two. If you can measure the BBL properly EWG is not a bad place to give a call to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd probably be more receptive to getting some work done on my S70 if there was a "smith" around where I live that I was confident in.  I live in San Diego and have yet to find a smith in this area that I'd like to use.  I wasn't of a mind to ship my gun anywhere.

Anyone out there know of a capable 1911 smith in the San Diego area.  Hell, I'd even settle for Orange County or the evil empire to the north.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#19]
National Match bushings are dirt cheap.

All the fitting is on the bushing,  you don't remove metal from the gun.

With some patience,  a few small files and sand paper, you could do it yourself.

Why not order two or three from brownells and try to fit it your self.

Have some extras on hand in case you go too far.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Enable your IM's and I will send you the name and phone number of a good gunsmith in your area.

Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]
IM enabled.  Had to get some help to do it.  I'm not very savvy with this message stuff.
Top Top