Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:23:31 AM EDT
A friend is looking at 1911s and was asking me how a SA Loaded 1911 compares with a Kimber of similar price.

Not having a background with these pistols, I figured the best thing to do was ask the question here.

Let the opinions begin!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the SA Loaded, and love it! No problems so far. I guess it would depend on the Kimber. I keep hearing that you do not want an external extrator, so if he found one sans that, why not. Kimbers are still good quality 1911's.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
They're not different in terms of reliability.

The PX9109L Springfield Model has ambi safety and Novak tritium sights for < $700.

Therefore, to me, the Springfield is the better buy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:27:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a standard GI SA model and couple Kimbers.
I would say Kimber is much better in terms of accuracy.  
Both are reliable but SA seems a little loose and clunky.
Finish on Kimber is better than SA
All new Kimbers will have internal extractor so get the Kimber.    
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a standard GI SA model and couple Kimbers.
I would say Kimber is much better in terms of accuracy.  
Both are reliable but SA seems a little loose and clunky.
Finish on Kimber is better than SA
All new Kimbers will have internal extractor so get the Kimber.    

Of course the Kimber is going to be tighter, more accurate, and finished better than a GI model Springfield.

We're also talking about close to a $200 price differential between the two, as well.

Might as well compare a RIA against a Wilson Combat.  The GI is supposed to be loose, ugly and utilitarian, not a pretty tackdriver by any stretch of the imagination, and no comparison to any Kimber.  

The Loaded, however, is another story.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Kimber pre gen 2.

if he can find one without the swartz safety that is the best bet.

But between the Gen 2 Kimber and Springfield my money will go to Springfield.

They both are great pistols but the Kimbers seem to be more accurate out of the box.
At least mine were when I purchased both.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Having both, I think the best bang for the buck was in the Springfield.

Also, the Springer lacks the firing pin safety.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a Springfield 1911 "Loaded" S/S and it is one of the finest handguns I own. It is one of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot.  In my book, the S.A. "Loaded" is the best 1911 for the money!
One of my shooting buddies owns a S/S Kimber and it shoots nice but even he agrees that the Springfield is a nicer gun and shoots more accurately.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#8]
When I bought my SA Loaded, Park'd 1911, I choose it based a few criteria:
I prefer Novak sights over the Kimber's, I liked the ambi safety, and the ILS was able to be taken out (within hours of bringing it home).
Kimber was also doing the external extractor which I didn't want as well as the schwatz safety.

I'm very pleased w/ my 1911, it's lockup is very good, in fact, a gunsmith/friend of mine thought that I had had it hand fitted (which i hadn't) in the barrel hood and slide to frame.  It's been very accurate and I havn't had any malfunction yet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
have both, love em both

i'd give the edge to the Kimber for a tighter fit and finish

also had a little more reliablity in my Kimber (TLE II, internal extractor) than the SA loaded

i'd get the kimber
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the Kimber and make sure it has an internal extractor.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top