Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
These are the ones made to look lik the WWII models?  Or are you referring to something else?

Yes.  I've spoken to a few gunsmiths in person and a few on this and other boards who have all indicated that the Springfield Armory WWII GI model is a very good platform.  There are MIM internals in them, however the slide and frame are good quality and in spec.  Its a great platform for future upgrades should you wish to make them.  

Its also nice because for around $400 you've got a solid 1911 that will let you determine if you like it or not.  If you're pretty serious you can drop another $200 and look into a SA loaded which has most of the features I like and would add to the basic model.  

On the topic of upgrades, I understand there is the running debate going on at the moment over upgrades and their effect on reliability and accuracy.  However, there is something to be said about basic upgrades.  You can start with the GI model and if you like it, upgrade it down the road to meet your needs.  And, if you don't like the platform then you don't have that much in it.

When I speak of upgrades I'm mostly considering replacing MIM parts with quality tool steel parts (wilson combat bulletproof parts come to mind, but many of the other top end manufacturers make equally good parts), a good trigger job, better sights and maybe lowering the ejection port. (sounds like the SA loaded...)  

However, all told, I think the ability to upgrade the platform makes it the marvelous design that it is.   Its awesome in that you can take it solid stock, but at the same time you have the option to craft it into the tool that is perfectly designed to fit your needs for the specific application it is intended for.  That is cool, and that is what keeps me coming back to the 1911.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the biggest differences between a SA Milspec and GI.  Is it only the factory sights they come with?

Thanks
PJ
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
How about the stinless S&W 1911s?  Ive seen the ads where it mentions many of most "polular" upgrades are already made>?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The S&Ws appear to be great 1911s for the money.  If you like their features, then buy with confidence.  Their Gunsite models look very tempting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What are the biggest differences between a SA Milspec and GI.  Is it only the factory sights they come with?

Thanks
PJ

The mil-spec has higher visibility 3-dot sights and lowered/flared ejection port.  I actually prefer this model over the GI.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top