Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 6:12:24 AM EDT
Do the Wilson Combat drop-in beaver tails fit on the SA Mil-Spec? The guy at the local shop said it would, but I would have to replace the hammer also, as the stock Mil-Spec hammer is too long or something like that. Can I just take a bench grinder or a file to it if it needs to be fitted?

Also, I have heard that installing a better fitting (in this case, a match Wilson Combat)barrel bushing can help the shooting low problem with the Mil-Spec. There is noticeable space between the current barrel and bushing. It's isn't a huge amount, but I have to hold my front sight at the very top of the bullseye to get them dead on. If I aim for the center of the bullseye, they fall about 3 or 4 inches short at about 10yards.

Or should I just file the front down a little? I think that would look kind of funny with the resultant placement of the white dot though. I am not interested in changing sights at this time.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's shooting low, and it's not your fault, send it back to Springfield for their warranty service.  This is a common problem among the Springfield pistols and they'll make it right for you.  I'd do that before filing down anything.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:38:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it's shooting low, and it's not your fault, send it back to Springfield for their warranty service.  This is a common problem among the Springfield pistols and they'll make it right for you.  I'd do that before filing down anything.  MJD

From my understanding, all they do is file the front sight down to correct the problem.  I like to tinker with stuff anyway, and I would rather not be without the gun for two or three weeks while they dork around.  Not to mention, if they don't cover the shipping, I am assed out about $40 that I would rather spend on aftermarket goodies.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#4]
That is one of the reasons I want to do the drop-in beavertail.  I am not willing to modify the frame right now.  I know the drop-ins don't look as good but I am more interested in the funcionality at this time.  It doesn't happen all the time, but I de get but  every once in a while.

Quoted:
Tag.  I had a local 'smith install a Wilson Beavertail grip safety, trigger, sear and hammer in my Mil-spec.  I'm not exactly thrilled with teh way it turned out.  I had to do some adjusting on the trigger and sear spring after I got the pistol back.  The machining on the frame could have also been better.

I'd love to know how you make out.

Not sure what to do about the sights.  Mine doesn't shoot nearly as low as yours.

BTW, if I had it all to do over again I would have replaced the thumb safety with a longer one, but YMMV.  

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:25:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a .220 radius beavertail from S&A, and there jig.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is one of the reasons I want to do the drop-in beavertail.  I am not willing to modify the frame right now.  I know the drop-ins don't look as good but I am more interested in the funcionality at this time.  It doesn't happen all the time, but I de get but  every once in a while.

I have a drop-in Wilson beavertail on my Colt S70...

Springfield MAY use a differently radiused tang, so you'll have to check to make sure you order the right one.

I wish I had a photo of my S70..but the beavertail looks like it was almost custom fitted. It's tight, doesn't wobble, the lines all line up, etc. Of course it still required some fitting to make sure the safety still worked, but other than that, no big deal..and no frame modification.

With normal stock Colt parts it dropped in just fine...however, I also replaced the internals with a Nowlin drop-in kit, which required all the fitting. (New hammer, disconnector, sear, spring, etc)

For shooting low...it might be a barrel link issue, it could be a locking lug fitting issue, it could be a barrel bushing issue...there's several things possibly at play here. Unless you're prepared to break out the manuals and start to try to fit things yourself..you're probably better off sending it back to Springfield.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield will not just file down the front sight, they will either replace the front or rear sight so the pistol's point-of-impact is where you want it to be.  I called with the same problem with my Springfield MC Operator, and they sent me 2 different rear sights of noticeably different heights.  Using a proper sight tool, I removed the existing rear sight and installed a new rear sight, so now the pistol shoots where I want.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:39:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Springfield will not just file down the front sight, they will either replace the front or rear sight so the pistol's point-of-impact is where you want it to be.  I called with the same problem with my Springfield MC Operator, and they sent me 2 different rear sights of noticeably different heights.  Using a proper sight tool, I removed the existing rear sight and installed a new rear sight, so now the pistol shoots where I want.

How long ago was this?  What you are saying seems to be contrary to what I am hearing lately, and that is they won't send parts anymore.  They want you to send the gun in for the smallest of discrepancies and who knows what their turnaround is like because of that.  They have to be creating a backlog for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Brian

Like I stated earlier, I don't want to modify the frame at this time, and maybe not at all.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

Like I stated earlier, I don't want to modify the frame at this time, and maybe not at all.

Because Springers have a different radius, your gonna have to live with hammer bite, or modify it.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Good reading on Grip safties.

http://www.precision-gunworks.com/TextDesc/Beavertail.htm

Brian
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, I got this thing installed.  It is in fact a drop in part.  I had to do nothing except bob the hammer until I find a matching commander one.  You can tell that the beaver tail wasn't exactly designed for the gun because of the 1/8 inch space between the beaver tail and the back of the frame, but that doesn't bother me right now.  Like I said, I wanted to put a beaver tail on there for now without modifying the frame and that is what I did.

I am next going to fit the match bushing and see if that brings my group up a little.  I heard that can help.  And if it doesn't, oh well, I have a match bushing now.

I think I actually bobbed more of the hammer than I needed to, but I initially had put the gun back togethor wrong, so I thought the hammer just wasn't coming back far enough to cock.  Turns out, the parts inside were inserted wrong, so that was why the hammer would not stay cocked.  I finally realized it when I could see light in the dip of the beavertail with the hammer all the way back.  I reassembled it properly and it works fine now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top