Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:45:59 PM EDT
Bought a new Colt 1911 and stripped it down bare bones. I think this is important to do when you buy a gun so you know how it functions.

Well, while disassembling the frame I pulled one of the pins and it seems like the whole gun just....fell apart in my hands. I spent a good hour doing research and finally put it back together the way I "think" it shows.

I put the firearm back together and it functions properly..safety works, grip safety, hammer releases...everything seems to work properly.

I guess I just need some reassurance that I did everything correct.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Most likely NO.  Depends on which pin it was and what fell out?  Sounds like the mainspring housing pin, and the sear spring and all fell out, but I'm just guessing?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the main spring housing the piece of steel that runs parallel to the grip? If so....no I did not touch that part.

I was mainly concerned about the sears, but I followed the diagrams on the internet and the manual.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Main springhousing is the part at the rear of the grip frame, under the grip safety.  Wgat pin did you take out that caused the catastrophy?  Here's a pic of the sear spring!

www.outdoorsuperstore.com/store/products/productDisplay~ED+BROWN+PRODUCTS~1911+SEAR+SPRING~productID~317553.htm

The sear itself!
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7213645690&category=73947
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah..sorry described it wrong. I didnt touch the main spring housing.

I believe it was the sear pin.

Also, as far as the sear spring goes...should it have went under any of the sears or just lay right on top?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
take it to the range and find out :)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
good morning.

[billr trying to think how to best say this]

i would strongly suggest that before you take *another* step, maybe you learn more about your gun.

there are many books available that show you with pictures [and not too many words] how to assemble and disassemble a 1911.  there are also many web resources that will do this also.

please understand that i have no intention of being rude, but i wouldn't want to be within 5 miles of you with a gun in your hand considering your current level of understanding of the gun.

my kid would like to add to this:

First of all. 1911's are really cool. they are fun to shoot, and relatively simplistic in their design. I would recommend that you buy the Kuhnhausen "The Colt .45 Automatic, A Shop Manual" book. It will throw you back about $30 but it is easier than blowing up a 1911, and yourself with it.

While reading the book, learn to fondle before letting all of the pins, sear, disconnect, etc. fall out.   I built my first 1911 a few months ago, and they are pretty easy to detail strip once you have an understanding of some of the key features. Have fun, be careful, don't shoot yourself.

my kid and i wish you good fortune.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Ease up on the poor guy.  We've all been there and the best way to learn is the actually do it.  Nothing is going to blow up or fall apart.  About the only thing you can really install incorrectly is the firing pin safety if you have one.  If your Colt is a Series 80, there is a wrong way to put it in and the gun will not fire.  Other than that, if it went together and everyhting is functioning dry, you're fine.  The sear spring does just lay in place.  It doesn't tuck or thread under the sear or disconnect.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to thank everyone's help for this. I agree that I should have bought a book first but I couldnt find anything locally and didnt want to wait. I followed internet detailed instructions on how to re-assemble the 1911.

I guess I was really just looking for someone to say...."Yes, there is no chance the firearm would function unless you put it back together properly".

With this in mind I think I am owed some credit....What I mean by this is that at least I had the "want" to learn how my firearm functions. Most of the people I run to at ranges do not even know how to field-strip their handguns.,...let alone a detailed break-down of all the parts.

It also upsets me that COLT and other manufacturers do not give detailed description on how to take apart weapons. They want you to leave it to a "trained gunsmith". To me...this is bullshit, you should know your weapon inside and out.

thanks for all those who participated in helping me.

P.S. I bought some snap-caps and all seems to function well.

Quoted:
Ease up on the poor guy.  We've all been there and the best way to learn is the actually do it.  Nothing is going to blow up or fall apart.  About the only thing you can really install incorrectly is the firing pin safety if you have one.  If your Colt is a Series 80, there is a wrong way to put it in and the gun will not fire.  Other than that, if it went together and everyhting is functioning dry, you're fine.  The sear spring does just lay in place.  It doesn't tuck or thread under the sear or disconnect.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top