Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 11:21:36 PM EDT
i was looking around at various custom 1911's and saw some of them had comensators. what is the purpose of a comensator on a 1911??

thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Compensator.  

The expanding gases released by the cartridge during firing is vented in the direction of the compensator's "holes", thus compensating for the upward movement during recoil.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Worthless on .45s. They come into their own when used on 9mm Major and .40 caliber game guns--the increased pressure of modern rounds allows the compensator to scavenge gas and do its thing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:53:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I owned and shot several types of comps over the years on 45s and feel they definately do make a notable difference in recoil.  Whether or not they would justify the cost to an individual obviously depends on the person and how the pistol is to be used.  

I still have my two favoriates, one built by George while still at Austin Behlerts and one from Don at the Action Works, and shoot them regularly.  However, I would never recommend one on a personal defense gun for obvious reasons.  JD
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, they atleast look cool
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 1:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I got laughed at by the man

My experience was mostly with a Springfield Armory two chamber comp, and while it did work...it was not very noticeable. I actually had to concentrate on it to notice the difference in muzzle flip. It's my opinion that a compensator on a .45 isn't worth the expenditure and length, not to mention the unique muzzle signature. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]
That little guy rolling around is not laughing at Jack.........he's laughing at the guy that built those comps.  heThe first gun shown is the same length as a 5" Government model.
The second is the same length as a 4 1/4" Commander.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#9]
comensator?? i think you mean compensator with a P
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#10]
i have so thought of doing a commander with a comp to make it the same size as a GM. i shot one that was cool, the comp was designed by a rocket engine designer. he took the pressure at the comp and desinged the ports and angles using software for rocket engine nozzles.

the same guy made one for a race gun ( GM with about a 2 inch long comp ) that was so effective that it was fired with 3 fingers... the thumb behind the grip, a trigger finger and one finger under the trigger gaurd and the gun stayed flat, no muzzle rise. i am sure his design has been so copied it is pitiful. there was an ad in a gun rag years ago about hit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top