Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 9:48:23 AM EDT
Im trying to reblue the frame of my Kimber; it wont take. I've got the slide done and it turned out really nice. I guess its safe to say the frame is a different kind of metal. Im just using an Outers kit. Is there something I can purchase, or procedure I can do to reblue the frame.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
is it an Alloy frame ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Might be stainless steel that was blackened.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not magnetic; I know thats not helping any.   Simply by looking at it, I cannot tell what metal it is.  The gun is a Classic Custom and was not advertised as having an alloy frame , or a stainless frame.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Magnets tend to stick to steel.  IIRC- Kimber used blackened stainless frames on some of the "Blued" models.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Magnets tend to stick to steel.  IIRC- Kimber used blackened stainless frames on some of the "Blued" models.

+1

I don't know if they are still doing it but at some point they were using blackened stainless frames on the Classic Customs. These are the matte finshed guns. The polished blue Royal model was steel. Looks like you got a two tone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a procedure that I can do to reblue stainless?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is there a procedure that I can do to reblue stainless?

No.  Stainless may be blackened.  Check Brownells, but probably have to send to a shop.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
There are some bake on finishs that would be close.  Are you doing a matt blue or a high gloss?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#9]
My dealer is a large Kimber dealer and told me his Kimber rep said Kimber decided it was cheaper to make all their frames out of SS and blacken them rather than having different raw materials and production runs.  Just what he was told and second hand to me.  FYI   JD
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]
There are some bake on finishs that would be close. Are you doing a matt blue or a high gloss?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I blued the slide REALLY dark ; practically black. I was going to try to get the frame that same darkness. I really like doing things myself, so I will check out Brownells for a kit for stainless. Thanks for all the help guys , I really appreciate it!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You can send it to Robar Arms and have one of his coatings done to it.  Robbie rules on customer service and the prices are pretty fair too.  After that, I suppose any black "coating" will do.

Good luck!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Check the AZ home town forum before choosing Robar  

Will not go into length here, this has been done before.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The stainless on my Kimber Eclispe Target II is non-magnetic. Tripped me out at first, didn't think they would spend the money on that high grade SS.. Both the slide and the frame seem to be made of the same series SS...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#15]
"...high grade stainless not an alloy."

All stainless steel is alloy steel.  Nickel and chromium being the leading additions to the alloy.  heat treating also affects magnetic behaviour.
If by alloy you are referring to an aluminum frame, many grades of stainless are non-magnetic.  It depends on the exact crystal sturcture of the steel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top