Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 1:13:57 AM EDT
How would I go about taking say a Springfield milspec that is stainless and having the finish or I guess surface dulled to look satin like my Beretta 92 and Couger? Would having it bead blasted do this(completely unassembled of course)? I am thinking of picking one up and making a project out of it.

I never liked 1911s then one day when I was at the gun store I was looking at a SA G.I. with some overtime in my pocket and the little lady says "get it." Now I have the sickness I guess. I wanted to make it a project but after I fired it I can not touch it. I like it just the way it is. I also have a SA loaded Bitone with the aluminum frame but it came loaded except I changed the grips and the saftey (I hate SAs gas pedals). It is time for a blank canvas I think. I know what I want to do but the shiny finish will not work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes on the glass bead.  
As for the color sheen, glass bead in the 400- 320 range will give you a bright satan finish, with 220 glass taking  more french gray. The courser the glass, the deeper the gray (but remember that glass is going to peen, so you will always have sheen to the finish.  If you want to go to a matt type finish, then Oxide will cut, and leave a flat type finish.

22O-300 glass bead on the frame. Mag well and safety may be just the lighting but looks like they were done in 320 glass.

120 oxide on the pistol matt section, shinny sections are polished.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
220 -300 glass sounds like what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch. I might even have my m-77 done while I have my pistil done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Glass bead blasting it will give it a satin type finish and using an aluminum oxide will give it more of a matte look.  Don't use sand for a blasting media as it is too course.

You can have someone blast it but if they do it in a cabinet make sure that it has only been used for SS as if it has carbon steel in the media it can blast it into the surface of the SS and you will end up with some rust spots.  You can buy a cheap blaster from Harbor Frieght for like $20 and do it yourself if you have a compressor.  It's messier than with a cabinet but not hard to do.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top