Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:51:08 AM EDT
Here is two pics of my SA Champion that I bought used off AuctionArms a couple of months ago. The barrel and trigger had been jeweled, which made it look like a pimp gun. I had a couple of things done to it to suit my tastes.

Before:

After:
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Man you saved its life! It is like rags to riches. Very nice indeed. I say that because it looks like exactly what I would have done. WHt brand of trigger is that and how hard was it to install as far as how much fitting was required?
Again it looks excellent I hope it shoots as well as it looks.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Man you saved its life! It is like rags to riches. Very nice indeed. I say that because it looks like exactly what I would have done. WHt brand of trigger is that and how hard was it to install as far as how much fitting was required?
Again it looks excellent I hope it shoots as well as it looks.

Thanks! It shoots as smooth as silk, except when using those supposedly G.I. mags in the brown wrapper that's been all over eBay. They're just crap.

The trigger is a Chip McCormick Super Lightweight adjustable trigger. I didn't do any of the work on the gun, but the gunsmith told me the trigger was no big deal. I had put it in the gun when I took it to him, but it needed some smoothing out before it felt right.

I plan on having Novak lo-mount sights put in, maybe with Tritium inserts. The standard sights that are on there are okay, but not for carry. They snag on anything.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Pimp gun is right. That shit looks ridiculous.

I like the Hogue grips, but I can understand people's affinity toward the traditional wood grips as it's a classic-style piece of hardware.

Congrats on your purchase.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice shooter!

I'll give a big +1 to saving it from "Da Gangsta Life".

When I loaded the thread, I got the first pic and was praying to myself that when I scrolled down, the bling would be banished!

I have used the Novak low profile tactical sights before, I think you will like them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#7]
What kind of beavertail is that? It looks like it didn't have to have a lot of cutting to fit it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What kind of beavertail is that? It looks like it didn't have to have a lot of cutting to fit it.

If I had to venture a guess, then I'd say Smith & Alexander....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ding ding! We have a winner! Yes, it's a Smith & Alexander beavertail. I bought that one over the Ed Brown simply because the description in the Brownell's catalog stated the S&A beavertail was designed to fit the .220 radius of Springfield 1911 frames. I don't exactly know what that means but other beavertails said something about a .250 radius. It doesn't look like much had to be cut to install it.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Can I have your old pimp trigger and barrel? I'll build me a ghetto gat!

The after pic is much much better.

The barrel is the same one that was pimped, but I had the gunsmith buff out the jeweling. I have the trigger in my parts box, so if you really want it shoot me an IM with your address and it's yours. I gave the Hogue grips to a fellow Arfcommer right after I got the gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:56:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ding ding! We have a winner! Yes, it's a Smith & Alexander beavertail. I bought that one over the Ed Brown simply because the description in the Brownell's catalog stated the S&A beavertail was designed to fit the .220 radius of Springfield 1911 frames. I don't exactly know what that means but other beavertails said something about a .250 radius. It doesn't look like much had to be cut to install it.

The BT you have has a smaller .220" radius because the Springfield has a different contour at the grip tangs, with less material on top.  With trational .250" radius beavertails, the top of the grip tangs sit lower than the top of the beavertail, which is not cosmetically very pleasing.  S&A came out with this BT in response.  It has a much lower top surface.  Due to this, they went to a smaller radius, as top of the grip tang slopes down to the rear, and a larger radius would mean a beavertail that was overly thin towrds the top rear of the piece.  Only S&A and Wilson Combat beavertails take this into consideration.  With other BTs, you need to weld up the frame tangs if you want to avoid this cosmetic issue.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:29:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The BT you have has a smaller .220" radius because the Springfield has a different contour at the grip tangs, with less material on top.  With trational .250" radius beavertails, the top of the grip tangs sit lower than the top of the beavertail, which is not cosmetically very pleasing.  S&A came out with this BT in response.  It has a much lower top surface.  Due to this, they went to a smaller radius, as top of the grip tang slopes down to the rear, and a larger radius would mean a beavertail that was overly thin towrds the top rear of the piece.  Only S&A and Wilson Combat beavertails take this into consideration.  With other BTs, you need to weld up the frame tangs if you want to avoid this cosmetic issue.

Thanks for the info, that clears things up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top