Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 10:43:52 AM EDT
Want to change out the sight on my sp milspec with a drop in low profile?  I looked at the Mcormick version but I have a dependancy on dots.. ;)

Nabs..
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Tanks... Will look at the Yost Im thinking.. Novak requires milling of the slide for a springfield correct?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#4]
It depends on what you want.  Back in the day, there was a proliferation of low profile sights that were of high quality and were drop in.  These sights usually offerred a superior sight picture, with a rear blade that was angled downward and that hung off the back of the slide.  This has the effect of making the eye focus on the front sight, as there is less light on the rear blade and the eye is not drawn towards the multiple shapes and distances involved with a rear sight that is simply sitting in the dovetail.

Anyway, if you want a rear sight with decent sight picture that is relatively snag free, look into the above mentioned YoBo or Novak sight.  Also consider the McCormick:

www.chipmccormickcorp.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CMC&Product_Code=81046&Category_Code=N2LMRS

If you want a sight that offers a sight picture more like a Bo-Mar, consider the Millett or MGW:

www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=9117&title=MILLETT+FIXED+1911+AUTO+SIGHTS

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8842&title=1911+AUTO+FIXED+SIGHT+COMBOS
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Tanks... Will look at the Yost Im thinking.. Novak requires milling of the slide for a springfield correct?

Novak makes several types.  They make the Lo-Mount and the Extreme Duty adjustable, both of which require milling.  They also make two types of drop in sights, their "Carry" sight and their Competition.  The Competition is a drop in that is large, like the Lo-Mount, but the rear blade hangs off the rear of the slide.  Though I can't find a pic of the sight, it looks a lot like this:

www.novaksights.com/Gun%20Shop/colt-compe-r.jpg

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Tanks to all for the advice.. I ordered the Novak ... cheers

JEEZE I just read the tag line I wrote.. DRIP in??  Man I gotta lay off the crack pipe... :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
JEEZE I just read the tag line I wrote.. DRIP in??  Man I gotta lay off the crack pipe... :)

Well, if you use enough heat you might be able to get it to drip right in.
Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top