Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 1:38:09 PM EDT
I have a 70's vintage Colt 1911 that was handed down to my from my dad.  He was a cop and carried it for about 2 weeks before going back to revolvers.  Apparantly, pulling the trigger and having it not go bang because he forgot the safety scared him.  As a result, it's in truly outstanding condition.  

It shoots high ( like 4" at 20 yds) and has the original itty bitty sights.  I took it to a gunsmith and he told me the problem was typical.  He also said that the weapon is worth significant dollars due to the condition and recommended against fixing it as it would cause it to become non-stock.  

I don't want to part with it as it has sentimental value, but I would like to shoot it without the aggravation of calculating "hold-under".  I'd also like to have it as my nightstand piece since my normal carry weapon is another 1911.  So, I'm looking for advice on how to fix this thing.  Are taller front sights available?  Can a competent gunsmith make whatever changes are necessary without affecting the value?  Am I stupid to shoot such a pristine piece?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It isn't [In my Opinion] worth any more than a current re-issue series 70. Send it to Yost for a #1 Enhanced package and enjoy.  

This sounds like the thing to do.  If nothing else, at least talk to the guys at Yost and see what their opinion is of the weapon as a collectors piece versus a shooter.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I was going to suggest Yost as well. I have a series 80 Colt that he built for me in 1994. It still shoots great. Ted is an ethical, fair individual. He will not sell you a bunch of crap you dont need. He has done a few smaller projects for me over the years. He completed the work quickly and phoned me to let me know it was done and shipped. He treated the small projects like they were high dollar jobs.

I recommend his services without hesitation.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You Might not NEED a taller front - the stock sights are small enough that you may just
be seeing/holding wrong.

Kings Gunworks has drop in high profole sights (very reasonable )
A gunsmith wouldn't charge much to install them.

www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page02.html
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:09:37 PM EDT
[#5]

You Might not NEED a taller front - the stock sights are small enough that you may just
be seeing/holding wrong.

I don't think it's me.  I've been shooting for 30 or so years and generally shoot pretty darn well.   Well, I hope it's not me!

Thanks for the link to the sights, I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Save it for a "DROP" Gun!!!

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This sounds like the thing to do.  If nothing else, at least talk to the guys at Yost and see what their opinion is of the weapon as a collectors piece versus a shooter.  

Oh I suspect I can tell you verbatim what Ted’s thoughts about it being a collectors piece are gonna’ be. To put it shortly, it isn’t and never will be, certainly not in our lifetime.

This is what I would expect to hear too.  I just don't know Colts that well.  I figure shoot 'em if ya got 'em!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top