Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 7:06:00 AM EDT
I'm trying to decide what to get for my next 1911. I'm torn between the springfield loaded and the mil-spec models. I like the mil-spec because it has that classic 1911 look but the loaded model has lots of features, some that I want and some that I don't. I do want novak sites, but I don't like the look of the skeleton trigger and front serrations. I also like the extended safety, but I don't really need the beavertail grip because I have small hands and hammer bite was never a problem for me. So which do you guys prefer, in general?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The more I've tricked out 1911s the less I've found them to be reliable.  A decent trigger and sights are a must however.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a loaded model and I like it. I also had a milspec. I liked the pistol, but the sights are crap next to the novaks. getting sights installed is expensive, especially since most smiths will want to refinish the slide afterwords.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I won't vote since I'm in between classic and customized.  A good trigger and good sights are a big +1.

Other stuff that's nice is smoothing it up some, i.e. carry bevel.

Tricking it all out, well, that's good if you're planning on IPSC wacky class, I guess.  My carry piece is a Kimber Eclipse Pro II (Commander sized) that's just as it came out of the box.  It had everything I'd ever want on it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:33:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Gov't Model Colt, that only needs the rear sight changed. I actually shoot better with the gov't profile grip safety.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
As much as I like the SA "Loaded" models I do not consider them to be "Customs". The Loaded’s are just a very nice production gun with additional features over the "Mil-Spec". They do not receive any additional custom fitting or inspection & testing over the "Mil-Spec" models. If it were my money I would go with the Parkerized PX9109L model in a heartbeat. My dealer local dealer has them in stock for $630. I can find "Mil-Specs" for $430. That’s one hell of deal considering you get features like; real Novak low mount night sights, Ambi thumb safety, real Beavertail grip safety, etc. Not to mention buying a set of Novaks will actually make the Mil-Spec more expensive in the long run. Front serrations are a very personal option. Personally, I like them and use them, but that’s up to you.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#6]
loaded, cause thats about what I would have done if I got a mil-spec
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]

This is a Springfield MilSpec that I 'Loaded' myself over a period of years. I asked a local (and nationally recognized, I might add) gunsmith about the 'loaded' models, because frankly, for the dollar I don't know if you can get a better production 1911. He was aware of my Mil-Spec modifications and put a seal of approval on them. Here's the interesting part. When I installed the beavertail, as you may already know, the Springfields have a .220 radius on the rear tangs as opposed to the .25 radius found on most other 1911s. That limits your parts selections a little bit, but Brownells has most or all of it. But he then told me that the 'Loaded' models, by his measurements, have and even tighter radius and that if replacements parts were needed, the ONLY source was Springfield. Food for thought

As I said, for the dollar, the loaded is a very nice production gun. The next best deal is an STI, but that brings the price up several hundred dollars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top