Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 11:46:34 AM EDT
I heard this some where so I checked mine and there appears to be NO pin whatsoever, so I guess it's true. Has any one had a failer yet, like the epoxy lets loose? It bothers me that I can't change it out myself now if it breaks.So what should I know about it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Extractors, no. Some of the ejectors, however, are held in place with loctite as opposed to a pin. I haven't seen one fail, yet.

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope you mean ejector.

The extractor should be readily removable for cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meen. I don't like knowing that my life is rideing on an industrial addhesive.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meen. I don't like knowing that my life is rideing on an industrial addhesive.

If you operate a motor vehicle...

it already does!!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I examined an older SA, Inc. 1911 in a gun shop today and was looking for just that. The ejector pin is visible on the left side of the frame inside the slide rail cuts, above the grip panel, when the slide is removed.

The one I observed did have a pinned ejector. HTH
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Some ejectors are pinned some are epoxied. All 3 of mine were pinned. Problem with the epoxy is if one of the legs break it has to be drilled out. And they do break occasionally. Also the epoxy can fail and if it falls out while it is dissasembled and one does not know it, well.................I hope you REALLY don't need it. It was a step to make it cheaper to assemble and I see nothing good about it at all. Easy to check by pulling the slide off and seeing if there is a pin holding it in. BTW it's usually the front leg that breaks.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Ahhhh...springfield quality.....IS YOUR LIFE WORTH SOME GLUE VERSUS A REAL, STEEL PIN so that SA can rip in an extra 50 cents from you??????

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I ripped my springer GI apart,  the ejector is pinned. Are you sure some of the springers are glued in?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

it already does!!!

Geuss what they make planes out of ? Why shit even the Space Shuttle's tiles are gl........  most of them are . Look up tomorrow morning we'll all find out together .
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:28:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

Yeah, I guess that's what I meen. I don't like knowing that my life is rideing on an industrial addhesive.hr

it already does!!!

Geuss what they make planes out of ? Why shit even the Space Shuttle's tiles are gl........  most of them are . Look up tomorrow morning we'll all find out together . hr

Yes, I'm sure they are and I refuse to fly. Last time I flew was about '99 and I sat near the wing, I could see the wing flexing way to much, I was clutching the arm rest, the male attendant must have noticed because when I asked for wine he brought me three of those little bottles, probably to calm me down, it worked.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I ripped my springer GI apart,  the ejector is pinned. Are you sure some of the springers are glued in?

I didn't believe it, but I just looked at my Operator and it doesn't have a pin.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

it already does!!!

Geuss what they make planes out of ? Why shit even the Space Shuttle's tiles are gl........  most of them are . Look up tomorrow morning we'll all find out together .

Yes, I'm sure they are and I refuse to fly. Last time I flew was about '99 and I sat near the wing, I could see the wing flexing way to much, I was clutching the arm rest, the male attendant must have noticed because when I asked for wine he brought me three of those little bottles, probably to calm me down, it worked.

Oh my God, a wing that flexes, holy crap.  When's the last time you ever heard of a wing falling off in flight?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The neat thing about the 1911's ejector is that it's captured by the slide while the gun is assembled.

The only time it can pop out is when the slide's off.    

Under normal conditions it's not a problem.  It can be a pain the butt when you want to replace the ejector, though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:05:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The neat thing about the 1911's ejector is that it's captured by the slide while the gun is assembled.

The only time it can pop out is when the slide's off.    

Under normal conditions it's not a problem.  It can be a pain the butt when you want to replace the ejector, though.

Thats my major complaint with it, the broken part ends up stuck in the hole and it can bea a pain to get it out. Also if both legs break the ejector is a loose part that can jam the gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#17]
My GI .45 has a pinned ejector.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

it already does!!!

If you ever fly it does also. He He.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope you mean ejector.

it already does!!!

Oh my God, a wing that flexes, holy crap.  When's the last time you ever heard of a wing falling off in flight?

When you do not see the wing flexing it is time to get concerned. They take a lot of stress and are built to do that. If they did not flex you would see them break off.

Edit: Does any one have an example where this part failed because it was epoxy holding it? I might have missed it but did not see one already posted. The whole thing is in the process whether it is good or not.  It could possibly hold it better than a pin.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:44:29 AM EDT
[#20]
my SA 1911 loaded is pinned. The epoxy smells like BS
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope.  My SA Operator is not pinned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Apparently Some Older SA 1911’s are Glued – however not as recent.  My advise is to never buy a glued ejector as replacing it could require drilling holes for the pins but the frames are too thin to do so…
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:40:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Apparently Some Older SA 1911’s are Glued – however not as recent.  My advise is to never buy a glued ejector as replacing it could require drilling holes for the pins but the frames are too thin to do so…

I'm telling you... I've got a MC Operator that was purchased in May of this year and its glued!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Apparently Some Older SA 1911?s are Glued ? however not as recent.  My advise is to never buy a glued ejector as replacing it could require drilling holes for the pins but the frames are too thin to do so?

The holes are already drilled, and the ejectors have "legs" like any other ejector.  The only difference is there is no 1/16" hole drilled across the frame for a pin to retain the ejector leg in the hole.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I've seen 3 or 4 that were epoxied, it's also not dependent on hi or low end models, but you had better believe it cause it's true. I have 3 SAs right now and none are epoxied because I made sure before I bought them. It was a cost saving BS move on SAs part. You won't see a Colt with epoxy tho.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone contacted Springfield about this?  I've got a NEW MC Operator that I just checked and the M@%# F$%@ has the epoxied ejector.  I just dropped $950 for sub-par quality.  I new I should've just bought that Warrior.   What's the fix guys?  I don't even want to chance some glue getting weak.  How much BS and $$$ are we talking?  It's a great shooter, but come on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:59:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
 What's the fix guys?

Fix?  Is it broken?  I'm not happy about mine being glued in either, but one does not "fix" a design "feature" if it is not broken.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:20:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 What's the fix guys?

Fix?  Is it broken?  I'm not happy about mine being glued in either, but one does not "fix" a design "feature" if it is not broken.

I'm Pro-Active not Reactive.  Never said anything was broken.  I will not wait for a shoddy manufacturing process to fail at an inoppurtune time.  That deserves a "FIX" in my book.  I refuse to wait until it is "BROKEN".  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#29]
My Springfield V10 Compact is pinned.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Sometime in the next few thousand rounds, I'll decide one of my SA's needs cleaning.

When I take it apart, I'll check the extractor.

Meantime, both of my SA's run like corn through a goose, so it's not an issue for me.

YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Does anybody here have evidence that glued extractors ejectors are not as reliable as pinned ones?  While the down sides to glued have been pointed out, it also should be mentioned that nobody here has indicated they have ever broken a glued one.  It should also be pointed out that pinned ones can and do get loose.  Is it possible that this is actually an improvement?  Just a question...

edit to correct an error.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Does anybody here have evidence that glued extractors are not as reliable as pinned ones?  While the down sides to glued have been pointed out, it also should be mentioned that nobody here has indicated they have ever broken a glued one.  It should also be pointed out that pinned ones can and do get loose.  Is it possible that this is actually an improvement?  Just a question...

I understand where you are coming from, and no I have not heard of one failing.  However, here are my thoughts on the whole issue.  

I feel that any combat pistol, ie. MC Operator, should be capable of disassembly to a great degree by the "operator".  Once disassembled, worn, failed, or weak components should be fairly simple to replace.

Another issue I have that I almost hate to bring up is the fact that the majority of these ejectors that Springfield uses are MIM.  Everyone here knows MIM is hit and miss.  What's the guy, myself included, that wants moderate custom work suppose to do about replacing his MIM parts?  If you haven't read the Springfield article in the link below, you should.
www.signaturegrade.com/sg/baseguns.html
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#33]
There has been a few reports of them breaking, and the pain in the butt [usually requiring lots of heat] to get the broken leg out. While my Champions did not break, it was a short one as installed by the factory, it NEEDS the long one to keep brass out of your face. If it would have been epoxied I would have had to use a heat gun or torch on it to break the epoxies grip. [I believe it is locktite] And yes it is MIM, not something I like to see repeatedly struck as that is when MIM tend to fail. [my .02 worth] I personally think that epoxying a part that has been, for 90+ years pinned, is the wrong thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top