Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
Posted: 12/19/2019 4:53:55 PM EDT
When I was young, my father taught me to shoot pistols using a Colt lightweight commander that he carried when he turned 18. He carried it to the point hardly any of the nickle was left on the gun. I always loved shooting it with my father. Anyway, when I turned 18, I picked up my first Glock 19 and the koolaid tasted good. I've owned a ton of Glocks over the years, but always carried a chopped Glock 19 & 17.  I've always enjoyed how Glocks shoot, I shoot them well. I actually really like the Glock trigger. I find it to be similar to many 'service rifle' triggers. They feel like they suck when you're dry-fire practicing, but in reality, under stress you don't notice that trigger grit or weight at all. BUT, you're not reading this because you want to hear another Glock fanboy rant about his Gucci Glock. Anyhow, I've toyed with the idea of dedicating a full year of shooting and carrying nothing but a revolver. I tried to do it with my S&W 325, but I never found a handy way to carry a reload. I killed the revolver idea, but I wanted to learn to carry & shoot something other than a striker fired pistol. About this time, I had the great privilege to take Urban Rifle with Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch, Oregon. Obviously Clint is a big 1911 guy, but he's even a bigger revolver guy. Mike Nork was one of the instructors and had his Les Baer TRS with him everyday of the class. He was happy to show me his pistol and upon him handing it to me, my childhood of shooting 1911s came back and I knew I needed to give 1911s a hard look.

My Previous Go-To rifle and pistol:

Thunder Ranch:

Big Cylinder:

After a few weeks of looking I found a Les Baer TRS at the right price. It was not perfectly original, but I didn't really care that much. It was at the right price. Someone had done work on the trigger, a fiber optic front sight. I'm not a huge fan of fiber optic sights, so I ended up replacing the front with a Trijicon HD XR 0.125" x 0.180" in orange. I paired it well with a 10-8 Performance U notch 0.140" x 0.325" rear sight. This sight combination is incredible. This is how it looked a little after receiving it:

After installing the sights and putting a little over 1200 rounds through it, it's nicely breaking in:

At first, the pistol would not chamber the first round of a mag. It was finiky on the first round. Some mags did it worse, some mags seemed to never do it. With a little testing, I found the extractor to be tight. I have had zero malfunctions since.

Overall, I've been incredibly impressed with how the slim 1911 carries. Maybe, the old timers weren't as crazy as I had made them out to be. I don't know how many of you other guys carry full size 1911s, but I have found that they certainly are more comfortable than I had ever expected. A good belt and a good holster make a world of difference.

My plans are continuing this thread with lots more pictures and my venture shooting and carrying a 1911 in a world of double stack guns.

Thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:15:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911LVR] [#1]
Congrats on finding that.  Full sized 1911s are awesome!
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry my 1911 9mm everyday AIWB.  you are 100% correct, with a good belt and good holster, i find it to carry every bit as easy as the G19 it replaced.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wideglidejoe] [#3]
Pre-1971, I was a revolver guy, I still have several nice ones.  I qualified in 1971 (US Army) with a sloppy, loose, rattling 1911, but it still functioned OK, accuracy was so-so.  Today my EDC is a 5" all steel 1911 .45

I don't want to agitate the haters, but it's a Kimber Custom Shop, it's been very reliable for me.  I occasionally carry a Colt 10mm Delta Elite, but usually carry the .45

Key is a thick horsehide leather belt and a belt slide of my design, made by an older gentleman in/near San Antonia area, I can't recall his name right now. Concealed carry, under a T-shirt, flannel shirt or jacket, depending on the weather.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried a full-size 1911 for years.  It's easy to conceal, being so slim.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m subscribing to this thread. Great pics!
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Whatsthe cut off for a millennial? Im 35.
I either carry a .357 k frame or a full sized 1911.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 03RN:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG1050_JPG-1024373_jpeg-1175861_jpeg-1202580.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG1337_jpg-1202581.JPG
View Quote
You are 100% a millennial.

As a boomer, I left the 1911 world when my Kimber had a bunch of malfunctions at a match and a buddy loaned me his Glock to restart. With a gun I had zero experience and no practice I finished 9th in the match overall. I went to the dark side that day.

I own numerous Glocks and have sold several over the years.  I still carry a 1911, sometimes in 45, sometimes in 10mm. I enjoy them. But sharing the woods with Grizzly bears, Mountain Lions and Wolves I find the extra rounds a little comforting in the Summer and Fall.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 3:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:

You are 100% a millennial.

As a boomer, I left the 1911 world when my Kimber had a bunch of malfunctions at a match and a buddy loaned me his Glock to restart. With a gun I had zero experience and no practice I finished 9th in the match overall. I went to the dark side that day.

I own numerous Glocks and have sold several over the years.  I still carry a 1911, sometimes in 45, sometimes in 10mm. I enjoy them. But sharing the woods with Grizzly bears, Mountain Lions and Wolves I find the extra rounds a little comforting in the Summer and Fall.
View Quote
I left the 1911 world too, after bad experiences with "off brand" 1911s. My 10/22 with worn out magazines I had when I was kid left me with a bad tastes for anything with a magazine, so when I was old enough to buy a handgun, I was revolver only. But between being into WW2 stuff and the Punisher I wanted a 1911. I bought a double stack Rock Island because more bullets=more fun, right?, about a month before Sandy Hook. You couldn't find a Glock 19 mag after that, let alone a double stack 1911 mag. Did some horse trading until I wound up with a Taurus. That was actually a damn reliable gun, and I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of it. But I got it refinished by some random dude on facebook (what could go wrong?) and it never worked right after that, so I traded it for a shotgun.

I did some more trading wound up with a Sig GSR, the pin for the external extractor wouldn't stay in the gun, did some more trading wound up with an M&P and a Glock 19. The M&P was ok, but the Glock 19 was so different from what I was used to it was gone within a week. I wound up with a Kimber that didn't quite live up to the internet's view of them. Sometimes it was damn reliable, then I started messing with it, and I got it to where it was fairly reliable. And I traded that one for a Springfield with target sights. After making a Kimber reliable, I fancied myself a Bill Wilson, and I have most of the parts for that one in a box somewhere.

So I stayed out of the 1911 world for a while and figured I'd wait until I could get a Colt or a semi custom one. I found a worked over (good worked over, not like what happened to my Taurus) Wiley Clapp Colt on a forum, and the only malfunctions I've had are from using my worn out mags that I've had since my first one. One of the days I'll put a Tripp kit in them, but until them I'll leave SWCs in them.

I liked the capacity back when I had the Glock and M&P, but on the other hand, for every round I've put through wonder nines and 1911s, I've probably put 100 through my .357. I don't see much point it covering the countryside in lead when one shot will do, but I know how Murphy likes to rear his head, so I'll stick with the gun I'm comfortable with with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 3:29:57 AM EDT
[#9]
If the officers grip works for you wait till you try a CCO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:16:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spartacus2002] [#10]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
As a boomer, I left the 1911 world when my Kimber had a bunch of malfunctions at a match
View Quote
that was a Kimber problem, not a 1911 problem.

1911s are easy for manufacturers to get right, but also easy to screw up if they take QC shortcuts.  Springfield Armory has a great reputation for 1911, and I owned one for years that only choked with one particular magazine.   Kimber started out as a good manufacturer then their QC went into the toilet many years ago when they ramped up production to meet demand.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:25:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Baer makes a great pistol. Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#12]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/433221/KIMG1050_JPG-1024373_jpeg-1175861_jpeg-1202580.JPG
View Quote
Damnit, I always kinda liked you from your other posts, but I'm sorry to deliver the bad news along with telling you I've lost all respect - you're a millennial

And I've only ever carried a G19, but one of my shooting buddies appendix carries a small Colt lightweight something something, and I've shot it once or twice and really like it. My dad has an SA EMP3 I believe is the model, and I love that gun. Accurate, smooth, and thin.. I've thought about getting one of those for carry but other gun purchases have gotten in the way this year. Either way, I'm on board. They're thin and more pleasurable to train with IMO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:29:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#13]
I looked really hard at the STI Staccato C and a Lightweight Goverment frame 1911 prior to purchasing the Les Baer. Growing up in an age of polymer, the weight of a steel handgun always kept me thinking I would never want to carry one. Now that I'm carrying one, it honestly doesn't matter that much. I don't want to get into a caliber debate, but I'm a huge fan of the .45ACP. I always liked it and always enjoyed shooting it. So, I knew that I wanted to stick with a more 'traditional' 1911. The Baer TRS has that in spades. It has a classic look, but offers some incredibly high performance. I can honestly say, I've never shot a pistol as nice as the TRS. Every time I shoot it, I have a smile on my face. That's what really matters, if you enjoy shooting it.

A few weeks ago, I shot in a local 2Gun match. AKs and 1911s don't necessarily go together, but whatever. Here's some pics. I came in 10th/32 I think. I felt that I shot terribly. Mostly everyone shot a RDS 9mm double stack pistols with big happy clips. Most guys only reloaded once per coarse of fire. I had to reload multiple times and I still was middle of the pack. If I had practiced more, I could have done much better. This was the first match with the 1911 and I was pleased. I was not out-shot because of my gun, it was my lack of skill. Sure, less reloads and less recoil would have made a difference, but we're splitting hairs on a 2gun match. The biggest mistake I made was rushing shots. If I would focus and slow down... leave that 0.05 second pause before the shot, I could have missed less and done much better. I was not smooth. Smooth is fast.

Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:39:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I mainly carry 1911’s and compete with them. I’ve also only ever owned SA 1911’s. I learned early on to use good mags and keep them clean (gasp, horror, like you’re supposed to do with every other gun).

TRP for USPSA Single Stack and HM Division for multi-gun. LW Champion Operator for carry.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

that was a Kimber problem, not a 1911 problem.  
View Quote
This. Give 1911 another shot with a better choice.
My Kimbers are the only two gun purchase I regret.
My Springfield is awesome.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a Gen X'er and my go to guns are Glocks and 1911's. I'm heading to the range with both in a few minutes.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 12:01:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: yamahawarrior89] [#18]
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
When I was young, my father taught me to shoot pistols using a Colt lightweight commander that he carried when he turned 18. He carried it to the point hardly any of the nickle was left on the gun. I always loved shooting it with my father. Anyway, when I turned 18, I picked up my first Glock 19 and the koolaid tasted good. I've owned a ton of Glocks over the years, but always carried a chopped Glock 19 & 17.  I've always enjoyed how Glocks shoot, I shoot them well. I actually really like the Glock trigger. I find it to be similar to many 'service rifle' triggers. They feel like they suck when you're dry-fire practicing, but in reality, under stress you don't notice that trigger grit or weight at all. BUT, you're not reading this because you want to hear another Glock fanboy rant about his Gucci Glock. Anyhow, I've toyed with the idea of dedicating a full year of shooting and carrying nothing but a revolver. I tried to do it with my S&W 325, but I never found a handy way to carry a reload. I killed the revolver idea, but I wanted to learn to carry & shoot something other than a striker fired pistol. About this time, I had the great privilege to take Urban Rifle with Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch, Oregon. Obviously Clint is a big 1911 guy, but he's even a bigger revolver guy. Mike Nork was one of the instructors and had his Les Baer TRS with him everyday of the class. He was happy to show me his pistol and upon him handing it to me, my childhood of shooting 1911s came back and I knew I needed to give 1911s a hard look.

My Previous Go-To rifle and pistol:
https://i.imgur.com/L80m8JX.jpg

Thunder Ranch:
https://i.imgur.com/YmiOuzU.jpg

Big Cylinder:
https://i.imgur.com/tU0YcxO.jpg

After a few weeks of looking I found a Les Baer TRS at the right price. It was not perfectly original, but I didn't really care that much. It was at the right price. Someone had done work on the trigger, a fiber optic front sight. I'm not a huge fan of fiber optic sights, so I ended up replacing the front with a Trijicon HD XR 0.125" x 0.180" in orange. I paired it well with a 10-8 Performance U notch 0.140" x 0.325" rear sight. This sight combination is incredible. This is how it looked a little after receiving it:
https://i.imgur.com/Fnvr4Tn.jpg

After installing the sights and putting a little over 1200 rounds through it, it's nicely breaking in:
https://i.imgur.com/vIh9O6J.jpg

At first, the pistol would not chamber the first round of a mag. It was finiky on the first round. Some mags did it worse, some mags seemed to never do it. With a little testing, I found the extractor to be tight. I have had zero malfunctions since.

Overall, I've been incredibly impressed with how the slim 1911 carries. Maybe, the old timers weren't as crazy as I had made them out to be. I don't know how many of you other guys carry full size 1911s, but I have found that they certainly are more comfortable than I had ever expected. A good belt and a good holster make a world of difference.

My plans are continuing this thread with lots more pictures and my venture shooting and carrying a 1911 in a world of double stack guns.

Thanks for reading!
View Quote
I bought one of these Stan Chen magwells and they are superb:

https://store.chencustom.com/product_p/si-mag.htm

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Will help with your reloads for sure.

I have carried striker fired double stacks, single stacks, also sigs p220 and p239. I ended up selling most of them and went back to a 1911. They just carry so well, shoot well. I'm 30.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#19]

I always find that when at the end of the day the scores are close the fewer reloads helps a lot.

So what do i do?
Bradford USPSA 8/18/19 stage 5

Bradford USPSA 8/18/19 stage 4

Add more reloads lol
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TGE:
Damnit, I always kinda liked you from your other posts, but I'm sorry to deliver the bad news along with telling you I've lost all respect - you're a millennial
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:
Yeah, I dont take people seriously if they take me seriously.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Add more reloads lol
View Quote
Great shooting man! I enjoyed those videos.

I thought I'd post my carry rig so far. It's an Ares Gear Enhanced belt with a Milt Sparks SS2 holster and ESSTAC mag pouches. I use a glock pouch for my Leatherman and a single for my extra mag. I think the huge advantage for me about carrying a 1911 is the ease of carrying reloads. It's very easy to carry a reload on the belt and in the pants pocket. With a double stack, it's not nearly as easy to carry an extra mag in the pants pocket or in your jacket.

Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I went away from Colt 1911's for one reason - I started carrying every day, everywhere.  If I'm under a car/truck in the garage or driveway that pistol is on my hip.  If I'm crawling around on the ground cutting vines/brush/briers out of the "pretty" shrubs in the yard, pressure washing, trimming, running the tiller, running trimmers, running the chipper, etc., etc., etc.

I knew what ever I was carrying was going to get scratched and gouged and I did not want to tear up my pretty 1911.  Plain and simple.

I went through a lot of pistols (brands, models of striker fired pistols) and rejected them for various reasons (lack of accuracy, lack of reliability, new felt comfortable in my hand, etc.)  I ended up trying a CZ P07 about 8 years ago and I'm still carrying it.  Cocked and locked, just like my 1911.  As close as I could come to the 1911 without having to worry about tearing it up.

I keep trying other brands/models but none have replaced the P07.

I kept one 1911 out of the safe.  The Series 80 stainless I was carrying when I bought that darn Glock and then went on the brand/model/caliber trip.

Nothing at all wrong with a good 1911.

About 2 years ago I pulled the 1917 made Colt 1911 .45 acp out of the safe and we went to the range for an old guns field day.  Took the M1917, 03A3, M1 Garand and the old Colt.  I grabbed up several partial boxes of .45 acp ammo that was several years old.

230 grain FMJ,
200 grain LRN
230 grain LRN
185 grain LSWC

That old Colt "ate" it all.  Round after round till it was gone.  The kids got a kick out of shooting something that old (that worked so well - they don't understand the round nosed vs. SWC thing and 1911's but I do).

One of the pointed out the front sight was leaning left slightly.  Sure enough, it was.  I don't know why I never noticed that itty bitty narrow sight was leaning, but it is.

If VA goes north this winter/spring I might just start carrying the old Colt again (the Series 80, not the 1917 made pistol).  8+1 of .45 acp is just fine vs. 10+1 of anything else.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:30:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 03RN] [#24]

Great shooting man! I enjoyed those videos.

I thought I'd post my carry rig so far. It's an Ares Gear Enhanced belt with a Milt Sparks SS2 holster and ESSTAC mag pouches. I use a glock pouch for my Leatherman and a single for my extra mag. I think the huge advantage for me about carrying a 1911 is the ease of carrying reloads. It's very easy to carry a reload on the belt and in the pants pocket. With a double stack, it's not nearly as easy to carry an extra mag in the pants pocket or in your jacket.

https://i.imgur.com/eRHvCgC.jpg
View Quote
Thanks.

1911 mags really do just disapeer iwb and are comfortable. Double stack mags are noticably there.

When I'm carrying my 1911 i always have a mag at 11 o clock and will often throw one on at 9 oclock in a kydex owb pouch with raven qrs.

Ill switch to a milt sparks summer special every once in a while too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:12:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a millenial (tenchically) and I always liked the way 1911s looked. Started shooting seriously and found I shoot them the best. Between the trigger and long sight radius it's hard to argue the results.

They are annoying to carry sometimes, but with how well I shoot it I make the sacrifice. I also carry a TRS. I think Baer is about the limit for what a 1911 can be. Anything more will be finished fancier or whatever but I can put round after round through a postage stamp at 10 yards, and that's good enough for me.

Pic thread. TRS in Sarge's Ivory

Link Posted: 12/22/2019 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Subbed OP, love a good 1911 use thread! My first pistol experience was through a ww2 Colt and I still love shooting them, agree on ease of carry also. Nothing wrong with combat Tupperware but long live ol slabsides. Nice akm also!
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I go back and fourth, 1911 and Glock.

My favorite Glocks to carry are the G45 (you know the 9mm one), and the Glock 19 Gen 5 w/FS. Shoot both really well and I am not a Glock fan boy at all. The Gen 5 shoots well for me and the light weight earns it for carry on a regular basis.

However, I grew up learning to shoot on a 1911. The 1911 is thin, easy to carry (good belt and good holster), great trigger.

My carry 1911, Guncrafter 1911 No Name, full size. Melonite finish, Trijicon HD yellow front sight, never an issue. (I have and have had, Les Baers, Wilsons, Colts, and NightHawks, all good). But the Guncrafter is my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 7:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akafreeheelbillie] [#28]
View Quote
Not sure, 43 here. I was a polymer guy as CC since I was about 22. Recently, I picked up a Sig Scorpion Fastback and was not only an immediate 1911 convert but also adopted the apendix carry (Black Point Holster).
My only regret is not doing so earlier!
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Great info from the thread originator.  I am glad someone is putting out real world testing on 1911 EDC usage.  The gun is a proven self defense weapon, that shoots a proven round, very accurately and very reliably.  There is a reason it has been serving the military, law enforcement and civilian population for 100+ years.  There is a reason that after the Beretta, the Glock, the Sig....it is still in the armory of Tier One Military units and riding in their holsters this evening, in some not so nice neck of the woods.   That reason is, when you need a tool, to get you out of a bad situation, it does the J.O.B.

I look forward to additional info from the thread originator.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been carrying a Colt Lwt. Commander for a long time.
Love it!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:16:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#31]
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm enjoying seeing everyone else's opinions on this. While I think there are alternative solutions to conceal carrying a firearm, a 1911 works better than most people give them credit for. I'm currently 29 years old. I've shot PRS the last few years (PRS Rifle Build). I'm slowly transitioning into shooting 2gun competitions more. I'm also training to shoot a Run-n-Gun 5k sometime in 2020. It's giving me motivation to loose weight and get in shape. The wife supports me getting into anything that helps me exercise more.

Over Christmas break, I passed 3k rounds through this TRS. Not bad for 2 months of ownership. I've been working on a lot of mag reloads and trigger discipline. I find that I struggle the most with overcoming this short trigger. When I focus, I can get some amazing groups and hit just about whatever I want to, but when I start to push my limits in speed, I completely fall apart and I miss by a mile. I know I'm slapping the trigger. I think I need to slow it down and focus more on shooting groups.

My current drills include a revised (ammo saving revision) Baer Solutions Drill. 2 rounds left, 2 rounds right, reload, one shot center. Dot Torture. I also have been working on just doing one shot, slide lock reload, one shot on a full size IPSC steel target. I'm trying to focus on fundamentals, but it's so much fun to push it a little faster. I think I need to focus on doing more dot torture instead of 'blasting'.

The magwell is starting to look 'loved'

Here is my own range I do most of my shooting at. I try to shoot a few mags every other day or so. It's not much, but it's safe and about 130 yards from my back porch. This is a cool picture. I love these Trijicon HD XR front sights from Ed Brown. They're really great sights that have nearly all the perks of a red dot and the perks of tritium at night. I've busted several fiber optics in classes and in practice, so I rarely use them on a firearm that I carry. I don't stress out about what front sights I have, but if I don't have a weapon mounted light, I'm a pretty firm believer you need tritium sights on a carry handgun.

I'd really like to have more professional training using a handheld flashlight. The first time I did a shoot house at night, I went out and bought a Inforce APL for my Glock 19. I swore up and down that I wouldn't carry a handgun without a weapon light attached. That was one of the biggest factors in my mind when I was determining to move away from Glocks. I knew I was going have to learn how to shoot with a handheld light. I always carry a flashlight regardless, I just need to practice more. I don't like the idea of having to use both hands, one of my handgun and one on my light, but I've getting used to shooting with the flashlight. I just don't think it's ideal. It' certainly carries much nicer.

I hope you guys all had a wonderful Christmas!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#32]
RB, Two methods that are very useful and used appropriately and in conjunction with each other are the Harries and modified neck index. With that light you have, with one you can operate with the "cigar" method, I like to punch out both hands, neither touching.

The 'modified neck index" the light can be manipulated in various locations for searching around objects, etc and works great for a quick reaction in conjunction with a draw for threat ID. Harries is good for static covering and searching areas and does assist in stabilizing the gun for increased accuracy.

To quote a buddy-it's a HAND Gun, designed to be operated and fired one handed.

Nice pistol!
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:31:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Well, i found my next front sights.

Shooting with a handheld is not ideal. Ive found i shoot the best in low light with the light indexed up to my jaw. I do practice a lot and feel pretty good. I actually think its adds some flexibility in some situations with searching and opening door etc.

Biggest problem is my son. If i have him im screwed. I do have options with wml and will switch out sometimes. Ill be carrying my MC operator today in a bawidaman gotham.

Slapping the trigger is the fastest way to shoot. You just have to do it straight back.

I like using index cards because they are the same size as a heart.

Also try some uspsa. It will help you focus a little more on shooting and shaking out your gear for the run/gun which i wish i had around here.

My wife and i are looking to move. I definitely need a list of competitions that i want close when picking a location
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#34]
I respect anyone's decision to carry a 1911.  I tried...but for me, even a Combat Commander wasn't worth the effort.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Subscribed
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Creature:
I respect anyone's decision to carry a 1911.  I tried...but for me, even a Combat Commander wasn't worth the effort.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/153820/20181209_133119_jpg-1209354.JPG
View Quote
Decent belt and holster is necessary.

A lightweight frame is a whole 'nuther animal...
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:16:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm enjoying seeing everyone else's opinions on this. While I think there are alternative solutions to conceal carrying a firearm, a 1911 works better than most people give them credit for. I'm currently 29 years old. I've shot PRS the last few years. I'm slowly transitioning into shooting 2gun competitions more. I'm also training to shoot a Run-n-Gun 5k sometime in 2020. It's giving me motivation to loose weight and get in shape. The wife supports me getting into anything that helps me exercise more.

https://i.imgur.com/8py1PTm.jpg

Over Christmas break, I passed 3k rounds through this TRS. Not bad for 2 months of ownership. I've been working on a lot of mag reloads and trigger discipline. I find that I struggle the most with overcoming this short trigger. When I focus, I can get some amazing groups and hit just about whatever I want to, but when I start to push my limits in speed, I completely fall apart and I miss by a mile. I know I'm slapping the trigger. I think I need to slow it down and focus more on shooting groups.

My current drills include a revised (ammo saving revision) Baer Solutions Drill. 2 rounds left, 2 rounds right, reload, one shot center. Dot Torture. I also have been working on just doing one shot, slide lock reload, one shot on a full size IPSC steel target. I'm trying to focus on fundamentals, but it's so much fun to push it a little faster. I think I need to focus on doing more dot torture instead of 'blasting'.

https://i.imgur.com/8rINDHg.jpg

Here is my own range I do most of my shooting at. I try to shoot a few mags every other day or so. It's not much, but it's safe and about 130 yards from my back porch. This is a cool picture. I love these Trijicon HD XR front sights from Ed Brown. They're really great sights that have nearly all the perks of a red dot and the perks of tritium at night. I've busted several fiber optics in classes and in practice, so I rarely use them on a firearm that I carry. I don't stress out about what front sights I have, but if I don't have a weapon mounted light, I'm a pretty firm believer you need tritium sights on a carry handgun.
https://i.imgur.com/uIOpkss.jpg

I'd really like to have more professional training using a handheld flashlight. The first time I did a shoot house at night, I went out and bought a Inforce APL for my Glock 19. I swore up and down that I wouldn't carry a handgun without a weapon light attached. That was one of the biggest factors in my mind when I was determining to move away from Glocks. I knew I was going have to learn how to shoot with a handheld light. I always carry a flashlight regardless, I just need to practice more. I don't like the idea of having to use both hands, one of my handgun and one on my light, but I've getting used to shooting with the flashlight. I just don't think it's ideal. It' certainly carries much nicer.
https://i.imgur.com/AGqI0ie.jpg

View Quote
You are obviously new here.   It is obvious by the well composed, informative and enjoyable posts you have done.   Soon you will be come a veteran of the Arf wars and you will devolve into shit posting and trolling.

But seriously, I am enjoying reading this.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#38]
Originally Posted By mban2:

You are obviously new here.   It is obvious by the well composed, informative and enjoyable posts you have done.   Soon you will be come a veteran of the Arf wars and you will devolve into shit posting and trolling.

But seriously, I am enjoying reading this.
View Quote
Long time listener, first time caller!

Haha Thanks man. I am completely repulsed by the amount of shills and misinformation on the internet. I hope this can convey some useful information to anyone interested. While the internet believes you're a danger to yourself and others if you carry anything besides a RMRed Gucci Glock with a WML, I think it's wise to be learnt of weaponscraft. Learn to shoot your firearm, learn to use it under real stress, then carry it. Who cares what it is, if it is reliable and you know how to run it. Use it. This industry is full of people emotionally attached to their firearms. This is coming from a person that is willing to shill for free swag, only tests his carry guns with 100rounds of self defense ammo before saying, good enough, and I am emotionally attached to most of my firearms hahaha
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Mid/late 90s- early 2000s I was 1911 or nothing. After joining the Army I had to put work in with the Beretta. Which turned out treating me very well. Late 2000s Glock 9mms came into my life and by 2012 they were my only used pistol. I have over 100k rounds through glocks at this point. Now I have fewer glocks and the 1911s are pilling up. The G19 is still easier to carry but temporarily living in a mag capacity restricted place the 1911 makes sense again. I’m a millennial: quality, function, practicality are important to me.

Threads are dumb without pictures:

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:03:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4arc] [#40]
I left the 1911 fold years ago but I’m back and loving every minute of it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#41]
First, while it has nothing to do with the tactical application of your sidearm, it looks outstanding.  I have a desert tan set of VZ grips on my 1911 but your gun's photos are making me think about dark wood again.

As another poster mentioned there are several different methods for shooting with a flashlight.  I surprised myself during the last quarter's work qualifications.  I usually like the Harries and use that.  For some reason though, the neck index really clicked.  It allowed me to better focus on running the gun and not having my brain think about the gun & flashlight. I don't like the idea of having the flashlight by my head but then again, almost all of the methods have the flashlight by your body.  While the FBI method has the light away from your body, it can throw off your balance or have a greater ability of backlighting your own torso.

One thing about shooting or clearing with a flashlight....YES it may be necessary but can we clear with the ambient light around us and use two hands on the gun?  If your eyes are adjusted, you should have pretty good visibility and for clearing a house (for most people our own home) we should be very familiar with its layout and how to use that to our advantage.  I shot two courses of fire last quarter, one with a flashlight and one just with the night sights.  Could still see everything and shot a better score going two handed....just food for thought.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes pictures!! My yard carry, Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote
Serious question... How comfortable is that while your in the car? Or sitting down to eat?
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm enjoying seeing everyone else's opinions on this. While I think there are alternative solutions to conceal carrying a firearm, a 1911 works better than most people give them credit for. I'm currently 29 years old. I've shot PRS the last few years (PRS Rifle Build). I'm slowly transitioning into shooting 2gun competitions more. I'm also training to shoot a Run-n-Gun 5k sometime in 2020. It's giving me motivation to loose weight and get in shape. The wife supports me getting into anything that helps me exercise more.

View Quote
good EDC combo! See my avatar, that's my TRS and Combat Troodon. something about a quality set of tools that do the job they are designed for...

Don't slap the trigger, that's not how you get quick. You want to be able to ride it back out to just where it resets and then press again. Dryfire is a great tool, as is competition. Get out there and turn some money into smoke and noise.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Rob's thoughts on trigger manipulation. He talks about the reset at 16:10.

Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RwithThe40:
Serious question... How comfortable is that while your in the car? Or sitting down to eat?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RwithThe40:
Really not bad. I used to have an hour plus commute and never thought it was bad. I typically wear slip on cowboy/work boots but tying boots is uncomfortable but only lasts a short while. My g19 is sooo much more uncomfortable due to width and the width of the spare mag.

I keep my full sized gun on while chilling at home and dont think about it at all.

The slide fits in the inguinal crease.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
good EDC combo! See my avatar, that's my TRS and Combat Troodon. something about a quality set of tools that do the job they are designed for...

Don't slap the trigger, that's not how you get quick. You want to be able to ride it back out to just where it resets and then press again. Dryfire is a great tool, as is competition. Get out there and turn some money into smoke and noise.
View All Quotes

Dont ride the reset
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Dont ride the reset
View Quote
This.  And slap the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#49]
The 1911 is a great pistol, but there are lots of great pistols in the world.  I don't have any issue with folks who prefer one pistol over another, as I too have my preferences.  I think the only mistake folks make is to not at least give a pistol a try before making an opinion.

Plus, many gun people make up all manner of odd justifications for liking or disliking one pistol over another, rather than simply admitting that personal preference is the reason they either like, or dislike a pistol.  I believe personal preference is a perfectly valid reason for liking, or disliking a pistol...it is no different than us having taste preferences for various foods.

I don't like the Sig "P" series of pistols, but readily admit it is purely personal preference for other pistols rather than the Sigs.  The Sig pistols have a very good reputation for accuracy, durability, reliability, and value/cost effectiveness.  I just prefer other pistols for my gun buying dollars.

The same applies to Glocks and/or 1911 pistols.  Both can get the job done.  I'm glad that OP has discovered yet another pistol that will serve his needs...there are plenty of them out there.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:23:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#50]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKW6T0xNIcs
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKW6T0xNIcs
Thanks a ton for that link! I listened to a few others too. Pretty interesting podcast. I'm going to try to practice that way this evening and see my results. If I learn anything I'll post my thoughts.

Thanks! I've always wondered which 1911 and knife was in your avatar. I think you have good taste in tools sir! I've owned quite a few of Anthony's knives (I posted a MSG3 below). I really like the combat troodon. It dwarfs all other OTF knives for sure. I'm not really a fan of automatic knives, but the combat troodon is a keeper!

I tried to go down the 1911 route previously. I purchased a second-hand Kimber TLE RL2 in 9mm. I really loved how this gun looks and I still do. My experience with this Kimber was pretty terrible. I remember that it only functioned flawlessly through two magazines. It always had a failure to feed or a failure to eject on all but those two magazine. I tried multiple different types of magazines with no success. During my diagnosis of the failures, the recoil spring felt stiff. Like really really stiff -insert joke here-. I swapped my Kimber's recoil spring into one of my .45ACP 1911s and it cause malfunctions in it. Strange. I took my .45ACP recoil spring and swapped it in the Kimber and it did much better. Not problem free, but much better. I may be on to something. So I called Kimber and explained, they said they had never heard of that issue happening and sent me a brand new recoil spring. I later found out that the spring works great in a 10mm Springfield TRP. Maybe the previous owner swapped springs incorrectly. The new recoil spring fixed a lot of the problems, however, the Kimber continued to malfunction. I lived with the failures to eject because it was 'just a range gun'. I later tried sending the slide home with the slide release and the slide release wouldn't work. The way the slide/release was machined would not allow the slide release to work. This was back in the early 2010s, so if you didn't slingshot the slide, you weren't tactical. I felt foolish that I had never noticed it before. The slide release was the last straw. I sold it to a friend that wanted a project and I wrote off Kimber as a whole. Maybe, my problems wouldn't have existed if I had purchased it brand new, but I highly doubt it. The previous owner hardly ever shot the firearm and I doubt he even knew how to remove the slide. I really liked shooting the gun, but I couldn't trust it.

Regardless of my previous issues, I really wish this gun worked. It was a beauty and it was fun to shoot.

The problems with my Kimber caused me to be sour about 1911s for a while. I had a bad taste in my mouth and it confirmed my Glock biased even further. It confirmed all of the internet's 1911 propaganda was true. It took me several years to consider giving them another try. I don't own 'range guns' anymore. If I can't carry it, I don't own it. Certainly the Les Baer has been a different story than the Kimber. It has ate nearly everything I've thrown at it and keeps asking for more. It's still tighter than most other brand new production pistols. Kimber has came out with some really cool 1911 offerings. They have great features and always look incredible. As a kid, I remember looking at Kimbers in the gun cabinet of the local gun store thinking they were the epitome of handguns. What a disappointment it was when I finally purchased one.

I will be purchasing another 1911 (maybe a 2011) with a light rail to carry. I'm waiting for the NRA convention before making my decision on which one, but it's in the works. I may post more about my decision process. I'm thinking heavily on Colt, Springfield, or STI.

Just for clarification, I'm not trying to convince you why I think the 1911 is a better pistol than other alternatives. I am just posting my findings while trying to learn the ins and outs of carrying, shooting, and competing with the 1911. I plan to carry and compete with my 1911 exclusively in 2020 to try to learn the firearm better. I'm anxious to see if I'll go back to Glocks in 2021 or not...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top