Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2018 5:51:12 PM EDT
Is this even safe?

I confess I have no idea what the ratings on those springs might be and if what he is talking about here is advisable or not.

I would like to hear from 1911 experts please.

I agree with him that the design of the Colt Defender spring leaves a little to be desired.

Your thoughts please.

I have a Defender in .45 ACP that I often carry and if this mod is GTG then I might pursue it, but I'm not taking this guy's word alone for it.

Colt Defender 1911 - SLIDE HARD TO REMOVE/REASSEMBLE? This will fix it!
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with the Colt recoil system. If care is taken, it does not get jammed up during disassembley.
It can also be very easy to disassemble if the slide stop is partially removed, the slide is returned to the normal position, the. The slide stop completely removed. This positions the barrel link in the forward position, with spring pressure holding it there. Does not create any jamming issues.

Defender field strip
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as he didn't end up with too much recoil spring stacking up and putting pressure on the recoil spring retaining surface, he should be OK.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean like this?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Goes KA-BOOM every time, now and, with no headaches with re-assembly after cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 12:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Please clarify, since I can't tell from your pictures:

You put a KIMBER recoil spring assembly into a Colt Defender, correct?

All I can make out is a Kimber magazine base plate.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#5]
The following information is dated.  Had the first edition of the Defender, which launched it's plug down range.  Replaced it with the Kimber 3 in recoil assembly, which functioned perfectly, and a much sturdier setup.   The defender was a extremely reliable 3 incher, but eventually sold it when the frame rails started wearing.  All my steel slide on alloy frame pistols now get the sharp edges of the slide rails broke over.
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.egwguns.com/1911-parts/colt-defender-kimber-cdp/ultra-carry/guide-rod-kit-for-45-acp/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top