Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry a lightly customized Colt Lightweight Commander, in .45 ACP.
Holsters are a Horseshoe Leather pancake and Milt Sparks VMII and Mirage. All at around 4:00. With these holsters I can carry IWB (Tucked, or not), Between the belt and pants or OWB.
I am using Perry suspenders and a Wilderness Frequent Flyer belt.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Was a Wilson Combat Service Grade Protector in Mitch Rosen ARG Slim IWB but now a Sig Sauer compact 3.3" Bbl in High Noon tuckable
( Alter Ego ) sounds right but I'm looking into a Dara Holsters AIWB
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to carry a commander in a VMII.  I did eventually transition to a G19 in an INCOG for appendix carry.  That has become my go-to.

I miss my steel gun sometimes, so I ordered an INCOG for a 1911.  It was horribly uncomfortable!  Similar holsters but different guns felt completely different.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
5 inch GRP Recon with TRL1HL in a Raven Concealment IWB. 2 extra Wilson ETMs in kydex owb. Slim enough to conceal under a loose t-shirt.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 3:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered JM Custom Kydex OWB 2 and a mag pouch so that I can carry my Springfield Pro.  I've never attempted to carry such a large or heavy pistol before.  We'll see how it goes.

I typically carry a G19 in a JM OWB 2 holster.

Depending on how it goes, I may order an OWB 2 for my Kobra Carry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been concealed carrying various 1911s for the past 25 years.  The quality of holsters has greatly improved over the past 5-10 years.  When I carry a 1911 I always use a leather holster (when I carry a polymer gun I almost always use a kydex holster).

My favorite set up is a 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks VM2 when my cover garment is light.  In cold weather I prefer a leather paddle style OWB.  The OWB will be more comfortable if you have a long day.  A steel frame 5" 1911 gets heavy after 12+ hours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I go back and forth between carrying my Hi Power or a 1911. When I do carry a 1911 it is my Colt C series Government Model made in 1969. The only mod I did to it was replace the blue bushing with a polished stainless steel bushing that I rounded the edges off. The original grips warped before I bought it so I replaced them with a set of double diamonds in Rosewood.

I just bought a Colt Gold Cup Trophy in stainless that I will start to carry over my old Government Model.

I like to carry my full size pistols IWB in an original Galco NSA at the 4 o'clock position with a on the waist band single mag pouch or a double if I am going into a known bad area.

A sturdy belt is a must have. I have a Kramer horse hide belt I have had for over twenty years and it still.works great. I do need to get a new belt loop for it. It has worn thin over the years.

Good luck.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried a 5" Springfield Custom Carry in a VMII with a Comp-Tac CSM belt and construction suspenders.

That was the only way I could carry it all day (12-18 hours).

I did that off and on for about a year, a Glock is just a lot easier to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
5” Sig Scorpion, in a Crossbreed Supertuck, carried at about 4:30.  Under a loose shirt the thing just disappears, and have no issues at all in cars, movie theater seats, whatever.  Very comfortable. I’m quite happy with the setup.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Colt Gunsite CCO in an Andrews Leather McDanielsII IWB leather holster.

As mentioned, a good belt is crucial. I use a Kramer Leather double-thick horsehide.

And as also mentioned, the Mitch Rosen ARG-Slim is a nice IWB holster. For OWB I like the Kramer Leather FBI scabbard holster in horsehide.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:57:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Commander in a IWB Milt Sparks Summer Special 2. Government in a OWB leather Galco.
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Have a Knighfall Custom AIWB rig coming for my Ruger LW Commander. Currently have a Galco leather heavy leather belt but I will be moving to a 5.11 rigid carry belt with the stiffener insert soon.

Keep an eye out for a review on said holster setup in the coming weeks
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Galco ripped off Mitch Rosen by copying the ARG to make the NSA.

I like the leather rough side out of the Galco. It seems to help keep the holster in place.

I have a NSA for my Officer's Model and he muzzle seems to keep tilting forward and gets uncomfortable to me. I like carrying the 5" guns better.

I have a Springfield Loaded Champion to fill the Commander spot and I still like a 5" gun better. I'd like to try a 9mm light weight commander sized pistol one day.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#14]
$230 for a Mitch Rosen holster...

Are you freakin' kidding me?
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered JM Custom Kydex OWB 2 and a mag pouch so that I can carry my Springfield Pro.  I've never attempted to carry such a large or heavy pistol before.  We'll see how it goes.

I typically carry a G19 in a JM OWB 2 holster.

Depending on how it goes, I may order an OWB 2 for my Kobra Carry.
View Quote
Interested to hear how the the JM holster works out for you. I would appreciate a follow up once you get a chance
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Kimber Ultra Carry Raptor 9mm in a leather pancake holster about 4 o’clock
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Colt New Agent... Same size as the Defender but with a "trench" (or gutter) sight system, rather than the Ski-Jump Novaks (which are overkill on a 3" 1911 anyway).

Carried in a JIT slide rig at 4:00. Quick snag-free draw, and it'll put 7 rds of .45 ball or HP into the upper thoracic cavity of a bad guy at any real-world distance in which you're likely to engage someone with a 3" 1911.

Over time you'll find that the larger 1911s just become too heavy for all-day totin', unless you're in combat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Interested to hear how the the JM holster works out for you. I would appreciate a follow up once you get a chance
View Quote
Will do.  I'm going to take the Pro with the JM gear to a 1-day class and shake it all out before I commit to carrying it.

In the mean time, I'll just put rounds down range and familiarize myself with the pistol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]
When I carried a 1911 (81 through about 2005 or so) I carried it in a Rogers pancake holster on my right side.  I ran across that holster in a box the other day while doing some organizing in the attic and pulled it out, just in case.
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Full size 1911 in leather OWB.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I've moved on to a Dan Wesson, but there was nothing wrong with the Colt New Agent with the odd sights.

Link Posted: 11/26/2017 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Mostly: TRP in HF1 from Tucker Gun Leather.  Best fitting holster I own.

Pair this with a quality belt, and you're set.

Holster is very customizable as far as color, stitching, etc.  Check them out.  I'm very happy with mine.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 12:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Dan Wesson CCO in a TT Gunleather OWB holster. Very old sharkskin mag holder from Rafter S. Got it sometime in the 1990s.

Carry at approx. 3:00.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mostly: TRP in HF1 from Tucker Gun Leather.  Best fitting holster I own.

Pair this with a quality belt, and you're set.

Holster is very customizable as far as color, stitching, etc.  Check them out.  I'm very happy with mine.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/je7jvhz4yavc0kb/IMG_1314.jpg?dl=0https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/247750/IMG_1314-373996.JPG
View Quote
The HF1 is such a pretty holster.  Does it ride tight?  I thought about ordering one.  Does it require break-in, or does it have a smooth draw from the get go?

One of the things I like best about Milt Sparks (I've only ever owned the VM2's) is that they are carry-ready from the start.  I've owned other leather holsters that require break-in, sometimes a considerable amount.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Colt New Agent... Same size as the Defender but with a "trench" (or gutter) sight system, rather than the Ski-Jump Novaks (which are overkill on a 3" 1911 anyway).

Carried in a JIT slide rig at 4:00. Quick snag-free draw, and it'll put 7 rds of .45 ball or HP into the upper thoracic cavity of a bad guy at any real-world distance in which you're likely to engage someone with a 3" 1911.

Over time you'll find that the larger 1911s just become too heavy for all-day totin', unless you're in combat.
View Quote
Actually, combat is when, if I had to carry a handgun, Id prefer a lighter gun since it's a secondary.

EDC where the only thing on my belt is a gun and a mag I don't mind the weight so much.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The HF1 is such a pretty holster.  Does it ride tight?  I thought about ordering one.  Does it require break-in, or does it have a smooth draw from the get go?

One of the things I like best about Milt Sparks (I've only ever owned the VM2's) is that they are carry-ready from the start.  I've owned other leather holsters that require break-in, sometimes a considerable amount.
View Quote
If you mean tight against you, yes.  Doesn't move.  It is the most comfortable holster I own, and I have a drawer full.

I do not remember any break-in issues.  It's been great since day one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've moved on to a Dan Wesson, but there was nothing wrong with the Colt New Agent with the odd sights.

https://i.imgur.com/wfPEx1Ch.jpg
View Quote
Awesome right there! . That's how mine shoots. Again, at real-world distances. The NA ain't a Bullseye Competition gun.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:08:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Actually, combat is when, if I had to carry a handgun, Id prefer a lighter gun since it's a secondary.
EDC where the only thing on my belt is a gun and a mag I don't mind the weight so much.
View Quote
My question would be, how are you dressing for EDC civvy carry?

Proper gun belt & holster with jeans and other causal dress (sweater, sweatshirt), maybe the weight isn't an issue when moving around?

Not the same if you're wearing a business suit, going to and from commercial, banking, investment, or upscale client-type meetings?

How and what you dress for makes a difference in all-day carry ....

Think backwoods prepper doing chores, running errands ... versus Trumpian banker executive-type doing business meetings in the urban milieu.  Something sized like Colt's NA or Defender starts to look real attractive.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 4:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Proper gun belt & holster with jeans and other causal dress (sweater, sweatshirt), maybe the weight isn't an issue when moving around?

Not the same if you're wearing a business suit, going to and from commercial, banking, investment, or upscale client-type meetings?

Think backwoods prepper doing chores, running errands ... versus Trumpian banker executive-type doing business meetings in the urban milieu.  Something sized like Colt's NA or Defender starts to look real attractive.
View Quote
There are many personal protection professionals that wear a suit every day and carry a full size weapon. I did it briefly. People just like to carry small guns whether they need to or not.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Full size, every day.  Conceals fine under a tshirt, polo, whatever.  TRP, Comp-Tac MTAC, spare mag. ETA: a stiff belt makes a big difference for me in keeping everything tucked in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

You do you boo but a full sized 1911 carries just fine while dressed up.

I'm carrying aiwb with a reload.
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I recently picked up a bobtail and I really like it.  The cut on the rear makes a good deal difference when it comes to printing on the back end.  Near the sights, it will print but I was quite surprised at how well it concealed.

I paired that up with a raven owb holster, that they had on clearance, and I can't believe I didn't switch to OWB sooner.  Its almost a game at this point to see what shirt I can wear with a full size 1911 in that holster.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Les Baer SRP in either a Raven Phantom OWB or JM Custom Kydex IWB, 2 spare mags in Kytex pouches.

I tried AIWB as it is my preferred carry method, but for me a 5" 1911 is too long. A Glock 19 or 17 carries fine, but the 1911 jabbed into me too much.
Link Posted: 12/3/2017 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
5" with suppressor barrel in a Galco King Tuk.  Spare mag in pocket.
View Quote
+1 for Galco King Tuk, only I wear mine in the 4 O'clock position, also with a spare mag in the pocket.

ETA: with a Hank's Xtreme CC gun belt to hold it in place
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 10:07:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I tried IWB holsters and always hated them because they are so uncomfortable. I've been wearing Blade Tech OWB Eclipse model holster on/off duty for 10 years. After I retired a few years ago I discovered a new company that makes the only IWB holster that I wear. It's StealthGear and the holster is a Ventcore Onyx. They also have a smaller version called the Mini. It is made of a ventilated foam padding with an outer shell made of kydex. I've been wearing this holster with my full size 5" all steel NHC 1911 in 10mm along with 4 spare magazines. I can wear this all day and start to forget I'm carrying a gun.
View Quote
Yep, been wearing one of these every day for the last 3 years. Best IWB holster I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you mean tight against you, yes.  Doesn't move.  It is the most comfortable holster I own, and I have a drawer full.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell yeah. Just got my Tucker a while back for the Ruger LW commander. I hardly know it’s on.
Link Posted: 12/4/2017 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thoughts on this Springfield Champion?
View Quote
Same gun V10 Champion.  Galco Paddle holster at 3:00.  Summertime: Uncle Mikes faggot pack.
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
they are heavier than plastic guns but thinner than most. I also shoot best with them and trust the ones I own. I give much less of a shit about printing anymore...
View Quote
Funny how that works. Nobody notices anyway.

That aside, ive carried both a plastic double stack and 1911 in 45. You might have more length and weight to deal with, but ive come to value thinner frames over fat, stubby profiles in terms of concealment.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I also have a Springfield Loaded Champion SS in .45.

I haven't shot it much but it does shoot very well. I'd carry it without hesitation.

I like the loaded 1911's. Everything is done to them out of the box that you would have a custom gunsmith do for you without the wait.

The only thing they are missing is a checkered front strap.

I thought about having the grip frame rounded and the front of the slide bevelled like a Hi Power. Have the whole gun sand blasted for a satin finish. I think that would make a neat carry gun.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

On my body the frame/grip prints more if I do 4-4:30.  So yep, been carrying it at 3 for years and never had an issue, other than a little dimple in my driver's seat and my office chair.
View Quote
Have also found 3 oclock and the FBI tilt really helps conceal the larger grips by better aligning the grip with trunk of body.  Especially helpful when moving around or bending.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Man,  I don't know.

Anything beyond a 3" model (Defender/New Agent size) really starts to look heavy if you're running around in a 2- or 3-pc business suit, like at a real job,  not, ya know, hustling lattes part-time at Starbucks.

I guess if you're wearing overalls while digging ditches, maybe it doesn't matter, and you'll find room in your underwear to stick a 5" Gov't Model.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#42]
A loaded steel government model weighs 3 lbs. A kitten also weighs 3 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:19:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I can do it with my AlienGear owb, with cold weather clothing. Summer time is a ggg.... nevermind, with iwb @ 4:30.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Man,  I don't know.

Anything beyond a 3" model (Defender/New Agent size) really starts to look heavy if you're running around in a 2- or 3-pc business suit, like at a real job,  not, ya know, hustling lattes part-time at Starbucks.

I guess if you're wearing overalls while digging ditches, maybe it doesn't matter, and you'll find room in your underwear to stick a 5" Gov't Model.
View Quote
While I would agree with your concealing a full size under 3 piece business suit, you would have to go elsewhere for a polite reply to denigrating any worker who doesn't wear a 3 piece suit.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
While I would agree with your concealing a full size under 3 piece business suit, you would have to go elsewhere for a polite reply to denigrating any worker who doesn't wear a 3 piece suit.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man,  I don't know.

Easy tough guy, I like and respect the blue-collar/over-alls wearing bros just fine. Just some late-night hyperbole tossed in; hence, this guy:

Actually, my comment was more about the general impracticality of trying to conceal-carry a 5" 1911 wearing a business suit.

Look, I get Bradd's point that "personal-protection professionals" can probably do it daily without batting an eye, but most guys running around in 2- or 3-pc suits aren't built like ex-Navy Seals, nor protecting anyone except themselves.  Between scurrying to business meetings, most are desk-bound anyway and have the stomach girth and stodgy profile to show for it, which doesn't exactly make a full-size 1911 more concealable. So, again, the compact 3" 1911s make more sense for those folks.

Blue-collar guys are no doubt in better shape, and usually have more flexibility to dress as they want which assists in concealing a larger pistol.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Man,  I don't know.

View Quote
Doesn't look any heavier if I'm in jeans and a t-shirt or wearing a tie.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
A loaded steel government model weighs 3 lbs. A kitten also weighs 3 lbs.
View Quote
You got me to go weigh mine. My 5" loaded with 9 rounds weighs 45.8 oz.

Fwiw my beretta with 19 rounds weighs 42
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#48]
IWB in a N82 holster.  Been carrying it like that for 6-7 years.  Only problem is that the muzzle wears holes in the back pocket of all my pants.

ETA: Springfield Loaded 5" .45ACP with a magwell and VZ Recons.  Replaced the 2 piece FLGR with a GI guide rod and plunger.  Otherwise stock, I think.  It shoots like magic for me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Best set up I've found, DW Guardian in a TT Gun leather Slim XC

<a href="https://imgur.com/vE9092f"></a>
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#50]
The 4” alloy gun carries so easy in a SS you don’t need a heavy belt.

The 4.25” steel frame, I use the good belt. Same holster.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top