Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2014 9:54:09 PM EDT
Today is a great day for me! I picked up my first 1911 after yearning for one for so long. I also picked up another stripped AR15 lower while I was at it. The lower is a S&W MP and the 1911 is the Springfield 1911 Range Officer. I didnt want to spend over $1k right now and the RO was within my range and to my liking. I really like the finish and it felt really comfortable in the hand. I also want to personalize the 1911 to my liking and preferences as well and I couldnt justify buying something over $1000 just to change some of the parts that may make it that much as well. In other words, I wanted a good solid platform and the RO seems to deliver.

With that being said, I have very little knowledge about modifying a 1911. Seems a bit far fetched, I know. I just saw a sub 1k 1911 that got excellent reviews that I can modify.

My first modification or alteration I would like to do is to replace the sights. I dont intend to take this to any competitions, so I would like to change them to something more visible. What would be the best route to go? I am looking for something stream line and sleek.

Also, what are some other basic or upgrades that I need to consider in order to make my first 1911 my last (so to speak). It more than likely wont be my last 1911, but since its my first, I want to keep it until one of us gives out.

So I call out to you my fellow 1911 owners. I need your wisdom and advice to help me make this a superb firearm. I love this handgun a lot and I believe that I have made the right choice. All I want to do now is perfect it and send many rounds down range without fail.  

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the RO...nice gun.

If you're looking to change sights, especially the rear, the RO limits you tremendously.

I believe Harrison and Heinie are about it for the rear because of unusual cut.

I elected to leave mine original for now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I get my RO next week. From what I've researched, Springfield uses the LPA cut. You can order LPA sights from Fusion Firearms. Brownells carries other makes for the LPA cut as well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Not liking the sights on your RO? What do you not like about them?

Suggest you call the Springfield Armory Custom shop and ask them what sights are possible and send it back to them for modification.

Their turn around time is usually short. Ask when you call. Cannot beat their prices for the quality of work.

Love the RO! Outstanding choice, extremely versatile & reliable. Keep it well lubricated inside & out and you'll be passing it down to your great grandchildren.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice. Where's the pics?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
The ro is a superb all ready.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#6]
My view on mod'ing a decent 1911 is to first put 1K rounds through it (to me that is the highest priority for your "extra" money) and then decide if and what mods you might like.  I don't own an RO, but it seems the most common mods to many 1911s are the sights and stocks (either texture or moving to or from slim grip panels).  All in all, it depends on what is most important to you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#7]
What I've done to my 1911. (older basic springfield)

Lightened hammer, match trigger, improved extractor, match barrel and bushing, flared magwell, larger beavertail safety, better springs.

there may be more, but can't think of any right now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
The Remington RO is a fine pistol and I have heard a lot of great things about it.
Before I went and made any changes I would spend some time at the range and see what if anything needs changing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Remington RO is a fine pistol and I have heard a lot of great things about it.
Before I went and made any changes I would spend some time at the range and see what if anything needs changing.
View Quote

That would be a Springfield sir.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have personally never liked the trigger on a stock Springfield.  That is up to you.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2014 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah I have a Fusion on order right now and looking through there stuff there trying to push the LPA adjustable sights hard, for all sorts of models
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top