Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2013 10:55:47 AM EDT
Not only is Jason a member here, but he is also an extremely talented pistolsmith.  Jason practises gunmaking over at Heirloom Precision and I visited the site in order to drool just a little bit.

I found a picture of this pistol there and in my view this is perhaps the nicest 1911 ever made.  I hope Jason will forgive me for stealing his picture, but I just had to post it here for the hive.

This is the retro conversion and I love it so much that I wrote to Jason to see if he would build something similar for me.

I would like the very same pistol except with double diamond walnut stocks and with a parkerized or low lustre blue.  I love the high polish blue; however, I want a gun that I would not be afraid to shoot.  The pistol in the picture is so beautiful that I'd be afraid of ruining that lovely blue. ( I have a parkerized SIG P210 and the plain appearance is part of the charm. as all of the fancy is inside)
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, he uses a lot of ionbond.  It looks similar to bluing, but holds up to use much better.
I hope you can get some good news.  I assume the only hurdle would be getting your pistol into and out of the states.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I will simply pay for a 1911 in the US and have it shipped to Jason.  Then I will have it legally exported from the US and legally imported into Canada.  

I will also pay for a Glock and have that shipped to Jason.  And after my 1911 is built, he can use the Glock as a test target.

I have had custom guns legally exported from the US before.  It is not as difficult to do as you might think.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will simply pay for a 1911 in the US and have it shipped to Jason.  Then I will have it legally exported from the US and legally imported into Canada.  

I will also pay for a Glock and have that shipped to Jason.  And after my 1911 is built, he can use the Glock as a test target.

I have had custom guns legally exported from the US before.  It is not as difficult to do as you might think.

View Quote

That really surprises me that its not very difficult

Pistols are heavily regulated up there correct?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think schmoes are prohibited persons.  Everyone else, they're cool.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Pistols are restricted weapons; however, once you have a restricted rating on your possession and acquisition license, then it is easy.  I own at least 20 handguns and getting one more will be simple.

To get the gun into Canada, will also be easy.  Jason will ship the gun to an American FFL that specializes in exporting guns to Canada.

The American FFL will arrange for an export permit.  Once the export permit is ready, my favorite Canadian importer will arrange to legally import the gun.

When all the paperwork is ready, the gun is driven across the bridge that links Michigan and Ontario.  The gun is declared at the customs post, the importer pays the duty and then the gun is shipped to me.  It is a relatively simple proess; however, the whole thing costs about $700.

The cost is not really a big concern when you are talking about a perfect custom gun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I've read on another forum where guys were getting pistols exported.   It was my understanding it wasn't hard, just a long process.

Again, it's cool you can get the project completed.

ETA: I see your reply was posted while I was typing
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats great then buddy.

I wish ya the best of luck and you have great tastes as well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]

All I can say is that this is the pistol of a lifetime.  A piece like this would be everything I ever wanted in a handgun,  It is so visually satisfying and so perfect in appearance I will simply enjoy it for as long as I live.

And after I croak, I will leave it to my nephew.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Were I to come into money, I would be hitting them up for a 1911 and a Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I know Jason personally-Ted and Steve as well- and have owned a number of guns from them. Polished bluing is much tougher than bluing over a matte surface.

If I were you I'd get a 9x23 or .38 super. I'd use a Colt base gun for sure.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]

The base gun would have to be a Colt.  But it has to be a .45.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love to see a well worked over rail gun, some good sharp checkering with some sort of bluing with different depths of blue, almost duotone. colts royal blue is sharp.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Sweet pistol, Fluffy!

I love the old Commander hammer;
and the grip safety too. Blended to look like a GI GS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I've spoken to Jason on the phone. Very nice fellow. It was a few years ago, I told him when get a second job I would be able to afford one of his guns. LOL He laughed. I consider them to be in the upper echelon of 1911 custom builders. I would want mine with the " highball " cuts. My dilemma aside from money, has always been to use a stainless steel gun since there's a lot of humidity here in Florida. It's just that their bluing looks sooo nice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Put an arched msh and a standard a1 sight and it would be my dream gun. Beautiful,  beautiful pistol!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful work. Too bad you me that it's yours!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hi uncle Fluffy
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Hi uncle Fluffy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi uncle Fluffy

Among other things, he will receive a Swiss Luger, a Swiss Army P-210, a Lahti L-35, a Tactical Operations .308, a Brno combination gun and a bunch of others.  But when he shoots Jason's .45, my nephew will remember me.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#19]
How do Jason's finishes hold up to the gun being boiled?

I keed!  I keed!

His guns are incredible.

Forge on Fluffy!

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Awesome, I'm happy for you. (talk about a dream come true)

I learned some stuff about Canada too
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
All I can say is that this is the pistol of a lifetime.  A piece like this would be everything I ever wanted in a handgun,  It is so visually satisfying and so perfect in appearance I will simply enjoy it for as long as I live.

View Quote
I have had the pleasure of not only meeting both Jason Burton and Ted Yost, I have had the pleasure of shooting their personal weapons and seeing the results of their work on other guns.  You will NOT be disappointed.  The folks at Heirloom are consummate professionals.  Their workmanship is of the highest order....and that may be an understatement.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pistols are restricted weapons; however, once you have a restricted rating on your possession and acquisition license, then it is easy.  I own at least 20 handguns and getting one more will be simple.

To get the gun into Canada, will also be easy.  Jason will ship the gun to an American FFL that specializes in exporting guns to Canada.

The American FFL will arrange for an export permit.  Once the export permit is ready, my favorite Canadian importer will arrange to legally import the gun.

When all the paperwork is ready, the gun is driven across the bridge that links Michigan and Ontario.  The gun is declared at the customs post, the importer pays the duty and then the gun is shipped to me.  It is a relatively simple proess; however, the whole thing costs about $700.

The cost is not really a big concern when you are talking about a perfect custom gun.
View Quote

That is seriously interesting.  I had a harder time returning a pickguard from a Gretsch guitar to a Canadian seller than you have importing a pistol.... Yeesh.

Shame we can't bring the Norinco M1A and 1911 clones south of the border.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Beautiful work (like everything Jason does) but I myself would want a proper patridge front sight instead of that long ramp.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Beautiful work (like everything Jason does) but I myself would want a proper patridge front sight instead of that long ramp.
View Quote
The sight with the real gold blade insert is perfect.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love any classic sight setup over the racey-to-the-rear and dovetailed front sights they slap on everything over $500 these days.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#26]
The nicest 1911 ever made:

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The nicest 1911 ever made:

<a href="http://s209.photobucket.com/user/INLAND44/media/Guns/1911colt001-tfb.gif.html" target="_blank">http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb27/INLAND44/Guns/1911colt001-tfb.gif</a>
View Quote

That is a beautifully engraved pistol; however, the beauty of a Jason Burton pistol is that it is a perfectly integrated, focused piece of engineering.  It is a wonderfully conceived coherent whole and it that respect Jason Burton is the heir apparent to the great Swenson.

Young Mr. Burton is more than just a gunmaker of the very first rank.  He is also a student of the classic 1911 and I can best explain it by saying that he completely understands the mystique of the 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top