Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2013 6:05:32 PM EDT
Building my first 1911 and gathering all the pieces. Gonna be built on a Caspian frame & slide.

I want to use the squared STI hammer, and sll the reviews I have read say that it eorks well with STI internals, but doesnt play nice with other companies parts.

Since I like the STI hammer & STI trigger, I figured I'd try the STI disconnector & sear to round out the pack, hoping that all the parts from one company should work okay.

But, there's a catch. This gun is going to be a carry gun and needs to be 100% reliable and I want top notch parts. I dont want to skimp for looks.

So my question is this. Are the STI parts up to the chsllenge? Or is my time / money better spent elsewhere?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The hammer and sear are good.  Maybe not the absolute best you can buy, but there are a lot of competitors putting a lot of miles on their STIs with factory lockwork.

Their safeties and slide stops are kind of MIM/meh but are priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The hammer and sear are good.  Maybe not the absolute best you can buy, but there are a lot of competitors putting a lot of miles on their STIs with factory lockwork.

Their safeties and slide stops are kind of MIM/meh but are priced accordingly.
View Quote

Thanks for the input. Thumb safety will be an EGW HD unit, single sided, and slide stop will be the 10-8 Performance Gen 2 slide stop.

The parts I am asking about from STI would be specifically the sear, disconnector, hammer & trigger.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The trigger is an excellent unit.   Very light, which helps in getting a light pull.   I wouldn't have any qualms about using any of those parts for a heavy duty build.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd say the FCG parts are good enough quality, but your gun plummin' skillz are going to be the determining factor in reliability.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks allot guys. This is the hammer I want to use:

The bulk of the hand fitting will be done by a local shop known for 1911 builds. I will do some of the stuff like the grips, MSH, sights etc, but the main workings (FCG, Barrel fitting, safeties) will be done by them as I don't trust myself.

I did have them work another one of my 1911's, where they sourced the parts. They went with the polymer STI trigger, and I think the internals / hammer are a C&S unit. Very nice trigger on it now. They replaced all the factory stuff inside.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#6]
sti hammer is pretty good.  The Extreme Engineering is better
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 5:11:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sti hammer is pretty good.  The Extreme Engineering is better
View Quote

I tried looking at the Extreme Engineering ones, I don't see any squared hammers. Am I missing something?

I also see Infinity makes a square hammer like the STI, but is $70 vs the $37 STI hammer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top