Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2012 9:04:57 AM EDT
I found this yesterday while at a local Mesquite, TX pawnshop.  Appears all original, 1945 production, parkerizing at about 90%, super clean, crisp lettering, couldn't pass it up as I've been searching for a WWII era 1911 for a couple years.  Out the door price, $1,135.00.  

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks reparked to me, and you will need to lose the hex head grip screws.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it may have been reparked at some point, and the screws will be replaced this week.  I have some standard screws around here somewhere.   The mag I believe is WWII era, marked with an "R" on the inside base.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]
R marked mag is correct. Please don't think I was knocking the gun in my first post. Just making you aware if you didn't already know.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for arsenal code on other side near s/n.  Arsenal refinished are more valuable/collectable,  although not all arsenal jobs are stamped.

AA - Augusta, RIA - Rock Island, etc

Barrel should be HS  (High Standard). Starting '44 F (Flannery) barrels were also used in production guns, field service replacement only before '44.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice pick up, but I don't think that trigger lock is original
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
if the feedramp is parked it's not an orginal also look for the crossed cannons arsenal mark not present arsenal rebuild. Still a sweet pistol
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#7]
2.3-2.4 Mil SN#?  Nice. Is the parking a bit off between the slide and frame? Seems to be reasonably common at the serial number range.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Serial # 244XXXX,  barrel is High Standard, and looking closer at the finish, it appears not to have been re-parked. Photo was taken with an HTC cell phone, so it ain't the best shot.  It does have the crossed cannon emblem also.  The same pawnshop has a Springfield Armory Champion I can get for around $500.00, but I already have six 1911's, Colts, RIA, Magnum Research, Taurus, and really didn't "need" another or I'd buy it too.

Thanks for the feedback and comments.  With the Remington-Rand, I think I've bought my last 1911 model for my gun collection.   Looking for a WWII M1 carbine now, Inland, Rockola, Winchester, etc.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure that hammer is original, either...

Edit - when I get home I'll compare it to my RR, I think the hammer is from a later S70 but I'm not %100 sure.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
S/N, 'P' proof marks, ordinance (crossed cannons) and inspectors mark (FJA), were all applied after finish.  You should see bare displaced metal
around these stamps.  Safety and slide stop are normally Du-Lite (darker, non-phosphate finish).  

Nice pistol.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 9:34:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I've checked my 5 WWII-era 1911A1s and one of them has a post-war replacement hammer (not blued) which matches the profile of that hammer, with the huge bevel on the top of the face (the other WWII-issue hammers had a much smaller top bevel)...but, the rear edge on all of them are rounded both vertically and horizontally, i.e. the rear edge does not have any sharp edges, either top/bottom or left/right.

S70 hammers were basically ground flat...to me, the hammer in that photo, looks flat on the rear
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top