Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 6:06:54 PM EDT
Sorry if this topic is beat to death.
My box stock SW 1911 id like to upgrade with a MARS mainspring housing and some gunner grips to match.

Was adding up the cost of some ed brown internals and things like slide stops aind safeties and it adds up quick.

Not sure if its worth it or even if it adds piece of mind or value to the pistol.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally wouldn't bother with upgrading a Smith (MIM wise). The parts would probably cost more than the gun itself.

ETA) I've never owned a Smith 1911, so I'm not sure how much of the internals and whatnot are MIM. MIM parts aren't that bad for a mid shelf gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Changing out the sear and disconnector will lend to a smoother trigger job.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:06:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Change them when they break. If they ever do anyways.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#4]
shoot it....
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I always do, with a few exceptions.

Grip Safety––if it is MIM, who really cares.

Mag catch and/or lock––I've replaced it on a few guns, but don't care so much anymore.  I don't really see this is a critical part or wear part either.

Of course, I still vastly prefer a gun with NO MIM whatsoever, and try to get them all that way if possible.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sorry if this topic is beat to death.
My box stock SW 1911 id like to upgrade with a MARS mainspring housing and some gunner grips to match.

Was adding up the cost of some ed brown internals and things like slide stops aind safeties and it adds up quick.

Not sure if its worth it or even if it adds piece of mind or value to the pistol.

Thanks!

It doesn't add any value, in my experience.   As for peace of mind, failures can happen even with forged parts, and improper fitting or installation can compromise reliability as well.   The best way to find out if your parts are GTG is to simply get out and put a couple thousand rounds downrange.   That's a far better use of the money than swapping out parts that may be perfectly good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Help a newbie out, what is MIM?

Why are they bad?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#8]

MIM. or metal injection molding, parts are not poison. They are a way of lowering production costs.
If they are going to break they usually break sooner rather than years later. I wouldn't bother replacing them until/unless they broke. There is no benefit to non MIM parts performance-wise. It won't be smoother or more accurate. If it breaks -replace it. Until then don't worry about it.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

MIM. or metal injection molding, parts are not poison. They are a way of lowering production costs.
If they are going to break they usually break sooner rather than years later. I wouldn't bother replacing them until/unless they broke. There is no benefit to non MIM parts performance-wise. It won't be smoother or more accurate. If it breaks -replace it. Until then don't worry about it.

Jim

I'm certainly no expert in metallurgy, but this is really the best direct short answer I've seen on the subject.  Should be tacked.  This subject has been beaten to death.  And, there seems to a great void of reports and pics of all these evil MIM parts breaking.  Just my view, for what it's worth.  Well stated PB.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Replace them if they fail or replace them if it gives you peace of mind. It's your call.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank's for explaining!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top