Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2011 8:00:04 AM EDT
As we all know, in many places, it is hard to get Winchester 45 ACP "White Box" from Walmart, and for good reason. It is some of the least expensive commercially loaded brass ammo for 45 ACP. I have been scouting my local Walmarts for the stuff for a few weeks, finally, last night, discovered nine boxes of the stuff on the shelf, and bought it.

I spoke to the employee who stocks the ammo shelves and he said, "We only receive five boxes at a time." I asked, "Five cases?" "No, five boxes, 500 rounds. But this time then sent us two "cases" of it." He was using the word "case" to describe the boxes containing five, 100 round boxes of the stuff.

The shelf says they have JHP for 29 or so, but these were FMJ for 32 a box.

It was interesting that Walmart ships out such small lots to their stores.

The guy I was talking with said that whenever they get any 45 in stock it never lasts more than three days.

I did my part to make sure that happened last night.

I thought this was interesting. Thought you might too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
This why I got into reloading years ago.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Good for you.

Some of us choose not to reload and do something else with our time time, and some of us are able to afford *not* to reload.
I may take it up at some point in the future for fun though.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd imagine they don't get much of it because probably the majority of their business is from people looking for ammo for their Fudd hunting rifles...

I wish I had the space and money for a reloading setup, but I don't, I mainly only buy ammo online or at a mil-surp shop nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#4]
That's another point the guy at Walmart said..."We have lots of rifle ammo right now, especially .308. It just kind of comes and goes in waves."

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
They probably don't see many people looking for pistol ammo, especially in large quanities, mostly people who only buy a box or two for their quarterly plinking lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quarterly?

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#7]
LOL...
I was referring to the highly casual plinker, not serious shooter...not myself
Hence why they don't carry much for pistol ammo or cater much to the bulk buyer
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, they sold me 900 rounds last night.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Way to screw the next guy over

JK I'd have done the same thing lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Last month they had tons of .223 bulk and now they have none but have plenty of .308.  I haven't seen 9mm locally for months.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, they sold me 900 rounds last night.

Thats a Sunday afternoon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Afternoon? Try an hour.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Academy always has WWB when I go there. Walmart doesn't.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Our walmart only has 2 boxes sitting on the shelf.  We only have 2 sportshops and they are proud of their prices.  They had 250 round boxes of UMC for $129.00 Academy had it for $79.00
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#15]
mine has it all the time..
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I always find the Federal ammo to be cheaper by the round at Wal-Mart. Had a bad experience there recently and plan on stopping there to check prices before I head to the local Bass Pro. Bass Pro told me they would honor and match prices on guns and ammo, even from online stores! Have to try it out to see if it's true.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Somebody around here shoots a lot of .45 as well...more than once I've shown up and found that (other guy) already grabbed the .45 we got in today.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#18]
for some time my local wal mart (I live in a small town and it and one small very overpriced gun shop are the only places to buy ammo within about 20 miles) had a sign taped up in the ammo dept saying they were limiting purchases to a max of 6 boxes per day per person in rifle pistol and rimfire ammo. And this is in anti gun NY!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#19]
my walmart will get ammo on the shelve but usually dont see big amounts...  I have been there before and they will say we only got one box of this or that....
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#20]

Ya our walmart did 5 boxes back when ammo was hard to get.   a friend told him to give him 5 boxes, then his wife said give 5 boxes, the DIP behind the counter said limit 5 only....  My friend said my wifes shoots too and he asked to talk to manager and they said to sell them each 5... The dip didnt want to sell to her bescause they were together.

Quoted:
for some time my local wal mart (I live in a small town and it and one small very overpriced gun shop are the only places to buy ammo within about 20 miles) had a sign taped up in the ammo dept saying they were limiting purchases to a max of 6 boxes per day per person in rifle pistol and rimfire ammo. And this is in anti gun NY!

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#21]
The 45 ammo has been a no-show in the local Wally-Marts around here for some time.
Have only seen it a couple of times in the last year or so.

Funny thing is they ALWAYS seem to have 40S&W and shotshells.
Most of the time 9mm.
And here lately lots .380.
Spotty on .38 and/or .357.
Calibers such as .44Mag/.25/.32/etc rare.

Rimfire ammo calibers  usually there.

.223/5.56 is real scarce too.
They usually have a goodly number of calibers in hunting calibers(.270-.30-06.-300Mag-etc).
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I hit up the Walmarts when they are restocking in the middle of the night every Sunday. Gotta love Las Vegas Walmarts for being open 24 hrs! Went to Nor Cal and was shocked to see they were closed at 10pm!!!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#23]
ours are open all night..But says no ammo sales from 10pm to 8am..

Quoted:
I hit up the Walmarts when they are restocking in the middle of the night every Sunday. Gotta love Las Vegas Walmarts for being open 24 hrs! Went to Nor Cal and was shocked to see they were closed at 10pm!!!!

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#24]
dude what walmart you htting up for all this ammo? stl area?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I kinda miss when I worked the night shift, when I got off work at 3am, I could hit up the walmart and pick up the cases of 1k that the night stocker left on the floor behind the counter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good for you.

Some of us choose not to reload and do something else with our time time, and some of us are able to afford *not* to reload.

Congrats! I can also afford to shoot for more than twice the price, I just decided not to do it anymore. I can reload 230gr FMJ for roughly $160 per 1,000rds.

My initial investment into reloading was $450. Doesn't take much shooting to pay for the equipment when I'm saving almost $200 per 1,000rds compared to raiding wally-world.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:34:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It ain't about the money.
Some of us choose not to be at the mercy of whatever person orders ammunition at the local Walmart. While those who don't reload spent their time moaning about shortages not so long ago, I happily kept shooting, since my supply is guaranteed.
Some of us choose to roll our own because we can produce better ammunition than we can buy. Does Walmart sell loads tailored to your pistol?
Some of us can load 200 cartridges in less time than it takes to drive to the nearest ASP.

Link Posted: 4/28/2011 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good for you.

Congrats! I can also afford to shoot for more than twice the price, I just decided not to do it anymore. I can reload 230gr FMJ for roughly $160 per 1,000rds.

My initial investment into reloading was $450. Doesn't take much shooting to pay for the equipment when I'm saving almost $200 per 1,000rds compared to raiding wally-world.

I didnt want to say it but with that comment. I am wondering why the OP is shopping at WalMart for ammo. I mean if money isnt a problem why not just run whatever from wherever.

I reload because I love to shoot, I live in the country where I can walk out on my backporch right now and run off rounds at steel plates hanging off trees. So I probably end up between me, my wife, two daughters and son burning through almost 20k rounds of handgun ammo a year.

I dont care who you are that shit gets expensive.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#29]
.45 is the one thing my wal mart never seems to get, but 9mm they have tons of.  I was getting a case a week there for a while, and leaving extras for other shoppers.  Now however, ours limits it to 6 boxes per day as well.  So take friends.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#30]
My loacal Walmart usually has a few bulk packs of Win white box .45 auto for $32 and change. I grab box or two when I see it. They were limiting you to 5 boxes max per person at one time. I was told it was because a local gunstore was buying every box and reselling it. Could be BS.

They seem to have large of 9mm on the shelf right now and no .45 auto.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 3:31:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My loacal Walmart usually has a few bulk packs of Win white box .45 auto for $32 and change. I grab box or two when I see it. They were limiting you to 5 boxes max per person at one time. I was told it was because a local gunstore was buying every box and reselling it. Could be BS.

That's what my LGS does. Go to one of the Walmarts, buy every box of 9mm, .40, and .45 they have, then drop them into zip-lock bags and sell them (230gr FMJ) for $25 per 50. The only reason I know this is because I was shopping around one day and looked up as an employee walked in with a wally world bag and swapped everything out right at the counter. Needless to say, when they ask me if I need any ammo, I always smile and say NO.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 4:16:52 AM EDT
[#32]
our wally-world always seems to have .45 and everything else on the shelf. its a small dinky store in a rural area and there isnt a gun shop close .
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#33]
My local WM still has a 6 box limit.  So I bought 600rds.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 6:26:18 AM EDT
[#34]
just went to our dinky wally world last night and grabbed a 100 rd box of .45 and 2 100 rd boxes of 9mm. they had gobs of both in the case.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Afternoon? Try an hour.

Yes, goes rather quick if you have toys with the fun switch.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top