Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2002 7:47:06 PM EDT
I ned your opinion on the Glock 19c..does the recoil reduction porting work on this gun? I'm now interested in the Glock's because of what the CCW instructor said during and after class....he's a25 year vet from the FBI and is nutz over them. He told me if I did'nt like the recoil on the 19...check into the 19c. He has'nt fired a 19c but thinks that the recoil is drastically reduced...what do you Glock guys think?

Thanks for your input,
NAKED
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Naked

Don't port your Glock yet.  You can't take it off if you decide you don't like it.  Find one to shoot before you do it.  Lots of things happen after you do it, depending on which type you get.  The best is the one that blows out at an angle.  They will all send hot gas back into your frame.  I have seen glock plastic cracked and burned on range guns that had porting.  I would actually put a thin sheet of stainless steel to help protect under the ported section of the barrel.  You will need a lighter spring to compensate for the reduced pressure. The odds of failure (jamming) go way up. The porting is fine for competition. Life or death...
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a big fan of ported barrels on pistols, especially on carry guns. If you ever have to fire it from a retention position, you're going to have all that hot gas blowing up in your face and eyes, not to mention the blinding muzzle flash.

I wouldn't mind a ported barrel on a competition gun, but speaking as someone who has picked bloody shards of copper out of his skin from a ported revolver at the range, I'd much rather be shooting one than standing next to someone shooting one.

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no ideas what you guys are talking about.  I have shot two ported glocks a 19C and 32C and have never had any problem with hot gases or metal shavings.  Also, that slow motion picture of the flash may look neat but remember that in reality it occurs in a millisecond.  I have shot my ported glocks in the dark and they do not blind you.  However, with that said, I do not think the porting reduces recoil a noticible amount and the great increase in the loudness of the weapon would not make me purchase another one.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 8:42:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't shot any of the ported versions, but I've never felt my G23's recoil to be excessive.  The nine's I own get a lot of use at the range because you can shoot them all day without abuse.  I think the low barrel profile make's quite a bit of difference as well.  My G23 seems to have much less muzzle flip than my Sig.

My $.02
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#7]
The instructor for my CCW class has a ported Glock, and the ONLY complaint he had about it was that it blinded him at night. Loved the gun, but said he never carries it for that reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top