Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/4/2010 3:32:40 PM EDT
I've thought about adding night sights to my XD9 SC, but don't know if the cost is warranted.  I'm curious how many folks carry with just three dot sights v night sights. Poll inbound.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
no night sights. I want to get a laser.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
My G19 for IWB has Trijicons and my G17 for OWB has no night sights.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
No, but it will be my very next firearm related purchase.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Some.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
M&p 40 winter carry, yes
s&w m 340 357 summer carry, no
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, Trijicons
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, just about all of them.  Rifles, shotgun, and pistols.  My only two pistols without them(Kahrs) are having XS 24/7 standard dots installed tomorrow/Saturday
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
My 1911 has a built in illumination.

It's called ".38 super muzzle flash".
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, and a set of crimson trace grips
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, and a set of crimson trace grips

same here.. G27
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#11]

No.  Any SD situation I get in will most likely be a point shoot.  If it occurs at night, chances are I'll have a flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
G32 and G27 both TruGlo
1911's Novak Trijicon
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes. My Sig P239 has the factory ones
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:38:50 PM EDT
[#14]
My G27 has a Crimson Trace Laser which works great for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#15]
My G19 has stock Glock night sights and my G17 has Trijicons.....I love them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No.  Any SD situation I get in will most likely be a point shoot.  If it occurs at night, chances are I'll have a flashlight.

I thought the whole reason we all carry guns is because we can't be sure when or how our lives will be endangered. With your mindset, it seems like you're kinda shooting yourself in the foot (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Night sights ... well, it has tritium inserts in the Novak low rise, but not infrared or anything

ETA - way late here, but I just realize that for some reason I read this as "night vision". I blame Obama
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
yes, Trijicons

This

/thread

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Of course they do.  All of my SD firearms do.  The S&W J frame and M&P 9c have a laser as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Night sights have never helped me when pointing my gun at someone in low or no light. I've always used a handheld or weapon mounted light to verify my targets. They're mandatory on my work guns but not used on my CCW gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Meprolites
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes on my carry. Yes on my backup. Yes on the backup's backup.  
(no I don't carry 3 at once)
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't own a carry pistol without them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
No, my CCW does not have night sights.  If you have practiced enough with your gun, you should be able to point and shoot at anything within self-defense range. I generally see night sights as something only practical for police officers/soldiers, who might be in a situation to actually have time to focus on the sights when shooting a BG who is running away, or for cover.  Do research on self defense shootings and you will find that the vast majority of incidents do not involve using the sights whatsoever.  I have had 100% success with reflexive point-shooting to ranges of about 30ft.  I think the problem is that most people don't have access to a range where they can effectively practice point-shooting drills.  I myself rarely get this opportunity, but when I have, have found that the fundamentals practiced at ranges with traditionally strict rules have served me well in employing reflexive ['point'] shooting when I have the chance to do quality drills.  Unless you are a complete novice and flinch/pull your shots really bad, it would be hard to miss COM at the ranges at which self-defense shootings occur at 95+% of the time.  I think night sights are cool, and they certainly can't hurt anything to have on your gun, but I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather spend $100 on.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a crimson trace. You can only get a single front tritium dot for snub nosed revolvers,and they suck from what I've seen.
I had Meprolights on my previous carry piece.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Trijicon front,
Heinie rear,
+ CT
5" 1911
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Every user gun has at least a front night sight for me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:03:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Trijicon's on my M&P 9c. None on my FS .45 yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 3:22:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Outside of one target gun, ALL my pistols have night sights.

It's such a small thing.  

I grabbed my pistol to do a walk-through of my house after hearing a window break shortly after moving in.  No night sights.  Starring down my arms into darkness?  Not again.  A LASER in that situation is just an arrow pointing to me as well.  

It took me a good thirty seconds to form a firm opinion of night sights in my weapons as well as a one click quality-thumb operated flashlight
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:24:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It's such a small thing.  

I grabbed my pistol to do a walk-through of my house after hearing a window break shortly after moving in.  No night sights.  Starring down my arms into darkness?  Not again.  A LASER in that situation is just an arrow pointing to me as well.  

It took me a good thirty seconds to form a firm opinion of night sights in my weapons as well as a one click quality-thumb operated flashlight

I'm not trying to peck at you but, a laser is an arrow pointing to you and a flashlight isn't?

I've used my nightsights inside my house while searching for what caused a loud crash.  Bought a laser the next day.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#32]
None of my guns have night sights. So far I have saved $250 by getting 3 guns with out them. Once I decide on my daily carry gun (Probably my Kahr P45) I will add a laser to the gun with the money I saved not paying extra for night sights.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Like someone said before it wouldn't stop me from buying a gun with some on it but neither of my carry guns have them.    My night stand gun has a light mounted on it. And at any distance in my house I wouldn't need sights.  I just got new sights on my 1911.  I went thru the same issue.  Then I shot a para carry 9.  It had a green fiber optic sight in front,  I fell in love.  I'm had Novak's put one of there tactical F O sights on front and plain black back.   Night sights are for someone gunning down someone. Not necessary in sd.  Now my question is. Why isn't there a night/fiber optic sight.   I would buy one if it was decent.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:38:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes and there is no good reason not to IMO. That said, I only have tritium in the front sight. I see no reason for rear tritium sights on any gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Nevermind.

I was gonna post something, but it won't add to the conversation and I don't feel like entering into a pissing contest today.

The 1911 that will be my carry piece when it gets back has them, but my current one doesn't because I haven't spent the money to get the slide cut for a front dovetail. I have a light that's with me all the time right now anyways.

I like them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#36]
I have night sights and a light on mine.  Even with a light; the tritium helps a lot.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes.... are they needed... more then likey no. But even if it's only a .5% increase in my chances of survival I'll take it.

I fight to win, and anything that gives me a leg up is something that I will use.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#38]
My XD45 has night sights.  I took a long time thinking about this. Crimison trace is good till the things don't work. My trijicons I can tell when they need replaced.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Night sights are inexpensive, don't add bulk to the gun, and are extremely reliable(more-so than a light, laser, or point shooting skills).

For someone who claims that they have no need for them I question how much experience they have shooting in low light and dark conditions.  Spending any amount of time using standard irons vs night sights in low light(and actually shooting... not playing in your house)  is extremely educational.  

As always though, training trumps technology... but often times training reveals technological deficiencies.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#40]
All my guns which might be used in a defensive scenerio all have night sights.  A couple have lights attached now also.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:01:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

It's such a small thing.  

Your failure was in not having a light, not lacking night sights. How were you prepared to positively ID your target before shooting if you couldn't even see your own pistol sights?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's such a small thing.  

Your failure was in not having a light, not lacking night sights. How were you prepared to positively ID your target before shooting if you couldn't even see your own pistol sights?

Light or no light, when I yell for them to leave now and they fail to leave immediately or announce themselves they have a serious problem on their hands.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:48:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes.  Ameriglo, because they use trijicon tritium, are cheaper, and have more options for sight setups.

Pro-Operators for me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#44]
The Kimber Compact does.  The S&W M&P9c does not.  The Taurus Snubby does not.  I have come to the opinion that if they have them fine.  If they don't fine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#45]
I carry a PPS.  For a while there were no non-gunsmithing required night sights available.  I don't know if there are any available now or not.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:58:23 PM EDT
[#46]
My pistols have them.

Rifles are running illuminated optics of some sort (ACOG or Aimpoint).
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:43:14 AM EDT
[#47]
John_Wayne777,

You are entirely entitled to your own opinions.  I don't care to do any research for you, and no I don't have my sources on hand.  If you think night sights make the difference between life or death in any statistically significant number of self-defense situations, or even a single one which has occurred - by all means post Your informational source.  It's ridiculous to me that you pretend to fictionalize the fact that the vast majority of self-defense shootings occur no further than about 5 yards.

As for me personally, I know what's most important is to Have a gun and Be Able to shoot it well.  I believe a lot of gun enthusiasts spend too much time in tactical fantasy land and have too much psychologically invested in defending their gizmos rather than understanding what's truly practical.  Like I said before, night sights can only help you - I am not knocking them. Bottom line: my current CCW doesn't have them and I'm not worried about it.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's such a small thing.  

Light or no light, when I yell for them to leave now and they fail to leave immediately or announce themselves they have a serious problem on their hands.

Wrong, you will have a very big problem on your hands when the police arrive.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:52:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Of course.

The J-frame doesn't , and I'm strongly considering Crimson Traces for it , just as much for dry-fire practice as self-defense.

In addition to the practicality of them for shooting in low-light , another thing I really like about them is that you can spot your gun on the nightstand/floor. To me it's comforting to just glance in the direction of the gun while in bed and be able to see exactly where it is.

As for the instinctive vs. aimed shooting debate? I think elements of both styles make for good results for me.  Nightsights are still a great add-on though IMO. Picking up that front site is critical , and your responsibility. A brighter more eye-catching sight makes that easier.

-JC
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top