Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 10:12:59 PM EDT
I got a itch to buy a 44 ever since I fired a friends 44 Ruger. I do not hunt and mainly will use it for target and as  a back country hiking gun(not to often).

Long ago before I even owned guns I saw a article on the Taurus : Raging Bull.  From all I could see about it in the magazine, I loved the way it looked. I notice they seem to be cheaper than the Colt Anaconda's and S&W M29.

Any saved good links on these types of firearms? Anything bad about those Raging Bulls?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Lew Horton Dist. had a run of .44mag "Mountain Guns" with a 3" bbl, should be perfect for what you want, IMO.

Nothing real bad out there on Raging Bulls other than perhaps their weight. If cost is a concern, as it always is for me, I buy used to save $$$$. Plus, as one will certainly run into bad weather while hiking once in a while, I wouldn't feel quite as guilty if a $300 gun got wet as I would a $500 one.  

Check Gun List newspaper for ads, I bet you'll find one at a discount.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I went around town to 5 different shops. The two shops that carried the larger 44mags both were talking down the Taurus revolvers. Now I know there is always a Good,Better,Best out there but how bad are these Taurus Raging Bull Revolvers? I am not going to be carrying it all that much except for some trips into the mountains(I don't hunt) say no more than 3x a summer. Its other uses will be just plinking from time to time. Its not a carry gun or a practical gun, I just want a 44mag and the Taurus are reasonably affortable and are in the layout I like(6",Rubber Grip).

1.) For the little use I will use this revolver for, will this Taurus still be a POS or is it worth owning.

2.) As far as the lifetime warranty(I don't buy something expecting to have to use its warranty but just in case), how much in shipping or total cost would it be to have it repaired and back in my hands?(considering its only wear damage, no neglect)

I know the Colt 44mags S&W, Rugers are known to be higher quality and I love quality firearms but if I can pick up a Taurus RB for around 450$ total then why not go with it unless it is complete crud.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The Raging Bull (large frame) Taurus are excellent Revolvers, they are very soft shooters as they are a bit heavy. Some of the early 454 Raging Bulls came from the factory with weak springs which caused failures from light pin strikes to the primer when fired double action, my 454 R.B. was one of these. I think it cost me sixteen bucks to send it in. Customer Service was great (somewhat slow) and the Revolver was back in around six weeks. I have quite a few Revolvers and I have a preferance for the S/A, for the uses you list a Super Blackhawk might be a consideration.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:19:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the good info. I know in the size department I would be better off with something more compact but I am not to worried about the 6" RB size. I held the 454 version of it and I like it alot. With that said, I will keep pricing them on GunBroker and AuctionArms and will pick one up in about a month, once the CC are paid off.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You can steal a Rageing bull in .480ruger at CDNN now for $379.99 NEW IN THE BOX IF THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU . 1-800-588-9500
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey thanks. That got me thinking but I can get the 44mag shipped for under 450$. So I am gonna stay with the standard 44mag. Thanks all. Any more suggestions or ideas are always welcome. I have about a month or so till I purchase so I will still be open to ideas.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
This would be my pick...........Ruger  

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/P-CategoryRevolversSA.html             = Single(My fave)

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/P-CategoryRevolversDA.html             =Double

Tough as hell and look good too.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The Raging Bull Series from what I have experienced are good revolvers and built well.  I own a 44mag RB and it is just a plinking gun.  I have yet to have any problems with my RB.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#9]
How are the triggers? And the adjustments that you can make on them, is it easy to do and does it help it out much?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
The trigger as is from the factory is fine.  I have not messed with the trigger or made any adjustments.  My dealer mentioned to me that I could adjust it if I wanted to but have not found the need as it is just for plinking and is rarely shot.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Raging Bull 44mag ordered and on its way.

What are the absolute most potent large game rounds for it? Or should I say , What should I carry in it for the random back country hiking events. Kinda like the other fellas 45acp question but in 44mag. Any extra juicy rounds out there?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about a 44 mag Raging Bull or a 454 casull in 6 inch barrels.  Any relative pros and cons?  I would mostly use it for target shooting and a self defense car gun.   No bad guy can mistake a Taurus raging bull for a toy.  

I'm thinking 6 in one , half dozen the other.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
From what I have picked up, 44mag is a good solid powerful round. More than plenty for car  defense. As far as the 454, unless you need it to protect your butt against a big ol bear then its gonna cost more for ammo and have a much greater recoil. You can shoot 45colt through it though, just check all your prices for the ammo, the 454 itself will cost a bit more too. But you will kill that paper really really good with it. I almost wanted the 454 over the 44 but the fact that the ammo cost a great deal more and the 44mag ammo is pretty darn easy to find anywhere, it was a no brainer for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
From what I have picked up, 44mag is a good solid powerful round. More than plenty for car  defense. As far as the 454, unless you need it to protect your butt against a big ol bear then its gonna cost more for ammo and have a much greater recoil. You can shoot 45colt through it though, just check all your prices for the ammo, the 454 itself will cost a bit more too. But you will kill that paper really really good with it. I almost wanted the 454 over the 44 but the fact that the ammo cost a great deal more and the 44mag ammo is pretty darn easy to find anywhere, it was a no brainer for me.

Right you are on the prices.

Take Corbon for example at an average site like Cheaperthandirt.com:

For the 44,  44 magnum JHP and 44 special JHP can be had for $13.24
For the 454, 454 JHP is listed  at $21 to $25, and 45 LC JHP is $13.75.

Still a tough choice for me.

Duh, I should just get both  
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if you can have 45c easily available to you then get the 454 model. If not just get 44mag since there are some potent rounds you can buy for it that brings the power of the 44mag closer to the 454 but still at a cost for that ammo. Hard choice. I will get my 44mag this Friday.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
There is a .44 raging bull for sale on the EE, though I think it has an 8" barrel

I bet you have to have Popeye like forearms to hold up an 8 inch taurus for any extended period of time.  hehe.

One more question: if 454 can accept 45 LC  can they also accept .410 shotgun shells?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top