Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 4:37:50 PM EDT
Ok I Recently purchased a S&W 29 Nickel and the guy who last shot it did not clean the end of the cylinder. I have done some reading and tried CLP which got off about half the powder. I did try some other cleaners but nothing strong or that contained ammonia. I remember reading a NRA article which was talking about a new product to use to clean nickel guns but I can't find it. any information would be great I would like to see the gun in as closed to new condition as possible.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Hoppes #9 works great.  If your gun has a factory nickel finish, this isn't a problem.  S&W and Colt in modern times have not used a nickel-plating process with a copper substrate.  This was a very old, and after that a "home-brew" approach to nickel plating.  In this method, copper is electoplated onto the steel, then nickel onto the copper.  My source for this information was S&W factory historian Roy Jinks, who researched it and wrote a letter on the subject - I have read it and trust it.  I have seen no ill-effects of using hoppes on my (non-copper based) nickel guns in 15 years of use.

After cleaning, wipe off the Hoppes and lightly coat with oil, or even better, wax it.  If you leave ammonia puddled on nickel for a long time it can cause it to cloud a bit.  If you are totally paranoid or you have a gun that has an aftermarket nickel finish or a foreign manufacturer you don't know about it, consider using Ed's Red.  You can make large amounts of that cheaply at home.  It is (I think I recall) equal parts ATF, kerosene, mineral spirits, and acetone.  You can google it to check.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hoppes #9 works great.  If your gun has a factory nickel finish, this isn't a problem.  S&W and Colt in modern times have not used a nickel-plating process with a copper substrate.  This was a very old, and after that a "home-brew" approach to nickel plating.  In this method, copper is electoplated onto the steel, then nickel onto the copper.  My source for this information was S&W factory historian Roy Jinks, who researched it and wrote a letter on the subject - I have read it and trust it.  I have seen no ill-effects of using hoppes on my (non-copper based) nickel guns in 15 years of use.

After cleaning, wipe off the Hoppes and lightly coat with oil, or even better, wax it.  If you leave ammonia puddled on nickel for a long time it can cause it to cloud a bit.  If you are totally paranoid or you have a gun that has an aftermarket nickel finish or a foreign manufacturer you don't know about it, consider using Ed's Red.  You can make large amounts of that cheaply at home.  It is (I think I recall) equal parts ATF, kerosene, mineral spirits, and acetone.  You can google it to check.

Thanks for the info, I just have a question about what you consider modern times, this 29 was built in 1973. I would rate it at 98%-99%.  I was just trying to make sure I did not hurt the finish.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
what you consider modern times,

Pretty much after World War 1.  Heat treating of steels and metallurgy techniques got MUCH better in the early '20s.  1973 is no problem.  But you are right to ask - "Modern" can be mean very different things to very different people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I use mothers wheel chrome polish it works great. Can get it at walmart in auto section.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Happich Simichrome
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Flitz works well and also Tipton or Hoppes lead remover cloth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top