Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:08:30 PM EDT
Every few mags I get a failure to feed.  I rack the slide and the round chambers...Could it be limp wristing?

My P220's work fine all the time...

So great guru's what is it and how do I cure it?
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Far too many variables to make a guess.

Describe the malf.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a similar prob, I have a thread going here too (springfeild .45 blues) and I know I'm not limp wristing, I figure it's got to be some machineing problem or QC issue.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Describe the malf.

With either a 7 or 8 round mag, Either Wilson or Tripp mags occasionally after 3 or four rounds fired I have a failure to feed.  The round just sits in the mag.  I rack the slide and it chambers.  

FYI, it happens w/my Kimber AND a new Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:55:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Two ways to check (fine guns btw).  One.  Have some one else shoot your gun.  If they get no malfunctions for 3 or 4 mags, then it's you (but then you try until you get the error, etc).  Make sure the other shooter is competent and wouldn't limp wrist either.  
2) Purposely death grip the gun, hold it high up on the grip, and see if it happens.  

Also, try different brands of ammo... always important to use good/decent ammo when trying to debug a gun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Two ways to check (fine guns btw).  One.  Have some one else shoot your gun.  If they get no malfunctions for 3 or 4 mags, then it's you (but then you try until you get the error, etc).  Make sure the other shooter is competent and wouldn't limp wrist either.  
2) Purposely death grip the gun, hold it high up on the grip, and see if it happens.  

Also, try different brands of ammo... always important to use good/decent ammo when trying to debug a gun.

Thanks for the hint...I'll get a fellow I know to shoot my RZ and see.  I always use good ammo so I've discounted that.  It doesn't happen w/my Sig P220 so I'm really thinking it pilot error.  

We'll see.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
  Yeth.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Describe the malf.

With either a 7 or 8 round mag, Either Wilson or Tripp mags occasionally after 3 or four rounds fired I have a failure to feed.  The round just sits in the mag.  I rack the slide and it chambers.  

FYI, it happens w/my Kimber AND a new Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm too.

The slide is locked open? That is not a magazine issue. It is more likely that you are carrying your thumb low, like on your Sigs, but under recoil are bumping the 1911's slide catch upward just enough to cause it to jump into the notch on the slide, causing the slide to lock to the rear. Try either placing the strong thumb on top of the thumb safety or making certain you do not place it underneath the slide catch when shooting, and be careful as well of where you place your support thumb. That should take care of it if this is the problem.

There are other things that can cause this as well, but two 1911 pattern guns, both new and using good mags and ammo are VERY unlikely to have the same problem at the same time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top