Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2008 1:30:02 PM EDT
I cut my teeth on an XD-9 Service.  It was my first gun 3.5 years ago when I got my license.  I've since purchased half a dozen various handguns.

I have over 3000 rounds through it.  Good gun.  Very good.  Never, ever a hiccup whatsoever.

It always bothered me that I was limited to 10 round mags since I am in the great state of New York.

So, after procuring some preban 15 round G19 Mags, I plunged $500 down on my first Glock.

Here's my impressions of the two guns (and a very informal review).

Accuracy appears to be about the same.  Reliability as well (although I did have one stovepipe on the Glock) but I'm still at the point only have a few hundred rounds through it.  

The Glock is quite a bit smaller, in just about every dimension, especially height.  It is a hair slimmer but that hair translates into an entirely different comfort level for IWB Concealed Carry.

For those in Ban states, the ability to get preban magazines is a huge advantage for the Glock.

I don't like the magazine release on the Glock.  It's hard to press.  Springfield is much better there.

Also, I don't care for the Non-Drop Free Glock Mags.  As I understand it, preban glock mags are pretty much all NDF design (NFML).  That sucks.

Disassembly of the Springfield Mags is also much better than the Glock Mags.  I can't believe you need a special tool to disassemble the glock mags.  How stupid!  I have to get one now!

The Glock is several ounces lighter and feels more balanced (like a lower center of gravity).

I also like the disassembly / reassembly of the Glock itself much, much better.  I LOVE how when re-assembling the glock, you simply slide the slide back on and are GTG.  The springy has the take down lever which you have to move after locking back the slide.  It's a little difference but it made a huge impact on me.

One thing I don't like about the Glock is that there is some sort of uncomfortable chaffing of my middle finger (of my strong hand) by the bottom of the trigger guard.  I can't figure out why.  None of my other guns did that to me.  Any suggestions?

I think I want to get night sights for my G19.  I thought I'd like the ball-in-the-box sight but I don't really.  Gonna get me some metroplights.

Going to look into some sort of extended mag release perhaps.  Hopefully it will make dropping the mags much more ergonomic.

I'm going to start a quest to find FML preban mags (if such an animal exists).

Those three items would make the G19 the ultimate carry gun for me!  Maybe I'll sell my XD!
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet little write up.  I just bought a used glock 19, just waiting for my amendment to go through.  My XD45 will still be my primary carry but it will be fun to have some more options.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
My .45 is my primary HD gun (I have a Sig P220 - 8+1) but for carry, I feel 15+1 rounds of 9mm in a smaller package is the way to go.

Good luck w/ your G19.  You are gonna like it.  And yes, it's good that the ammo is cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I have to agree with the 19 being a better choice, for me at least. I have XD9sc and the glock 19. The XD is only shorter by 7/8ths in the berrel, the grip is the same height. The 19 feels slimer and 15+1 Instead of 10+1 in the XD.Both are reliable and accurate. I would grab the 19 first.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My choice might change once I get to pick up the 19.  Hopefully my new permit shows up soon.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont believe you can get the slide off a cocked glock without pulling the trigger first
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dont believe you can get the slide off a cocked glock without pulling the trigger first

Correct
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct

I thought so too.  My mistake.  I guess I just have the habit of dry firing anytime I unload the gun?
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Try smoothing the bottom of the trigger guard to prevent wearing out your finger .  A little sanding or scraping may work for you.  I used a dremel tool to smooth mine.  I barely sanded the trigger guard so it would stay legal for IDPA Stock Service Pistol.  It made a little difference.  

I've seen pictures of guns that had greatly reduced trigger guards and that may help.  

Not the most charming solution, but your fingers will toughen up after a month or two. My opinion only, but I think your finger being a little worn indicates a good grip.  Gloves will help if you can shoot while wearing them.

Thanks, nice writeup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top