Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2003 6:43:37 PM EDT
I am looking for a good inside the waistband holster for a full size 1911.  The search is down to 2.  I have heard great things about both and wanted your input/preferences.  

Summer Special 2
or
Versa Max 2

The Summer special is a simple, which is a plus, however the VM2 seems to have a thinner profile which is a big plus.  Anyone tried out both?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I voted for the Summer Special because I saw you live in Texas. With the heat/clothing factor I think it would be the better bet for the visual. I also own one myself and have no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Versa-Max 2 is the ONLY IWB holster I use to conceal my fullsize Wilson 1911 that I carry everyday.

It doesnt get any better in my opinion, especially when you order it in horsehide.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Anything Milt Sparks makes is going to be an extremely well made product with quality through and through. I’ve worn both the holsters you mentioned and, although both good, neither is my preference. I think the best Sparks IWB is still the original Summer Special..... not SS2.

The VM2 was always far too bulky for me with too much material necessitated by its design. Although very effective and concealable the VM2 was too uncomfortable for me and sat much too low in the waistband for my tastes.

The Summer Special 2 is somewhat close to the Summer Special except has the addition of a body protector, removable belt loops, and, like the VM2, the SS2 has a lower ride than the S/S.

I’ve always felt that the original Summer Special (or the current iteration thereof) is still on the cutting edge of IWBs and possibly the best there has ever been. The Summer Special’s simple design is what allows it to be so effective and still so popular to this day. It’s a workhorse of a holster that is essentially an open top “gun bucket” making drawing an reholstering effortless and, with no body protectors, retention straps, or the like to inhibit it’s effectiveness, it doesn‘t give up any speed or accessibility to OWB holsters. Bruce Nelson sure knew what he was doing when he stitched together the first Summer Special!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the executive companion? I just ordered one myself. I understand that they are one of the best from talking to those who have experience. Althoug the VM 2 looks good as well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
JAC, its a great holster too.  The only reason I like the VM2 better is it moves the rentention straps off the body of the holster where they are added to the bulk of the holster mouth retaining band.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been using a Watch Six for a little over a year.  I absolutely love it for daily carry.  It conceals very well, plus it's quite thin.  I still wish that I had just spent the extra $30 for the VM-II, simply because I'd like to have the metal band around the mouth so that I can use my carry rig for competitions.  Spend the money and only cry once!  Their belts are great too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I own and use both SS-2 and VM-2 holsters.  Both are excellent, and each has its advantages and disadvantages.
VM-2: Has a very wide profile (the belt loops are lateral to the holster section), which creates a very stable holster (the holster and therefore pistol does not rotate).  The disadvantage is its takes up a lot of belt space.
SS-2: The belt loops are close together, and connected to the holster section.  It therefore requires much less belt length, but is less stable.

I carry a full size 1911 on by right side in a VM-2.  When I carry a BUG, it’s a compact 1911 in a SS-2 on my left side (because I carry spare mags on my left side and need a holster which consumes less belt space).
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I voted Other.  My personal favorite is the Milt Sparks Watch-Six.  To be specific the Watch-Six Dual Talon (I have two, one for a 1911 and one for a S&W 910).  This is the flatest, most comfortable holster I have ever carried.  

Unfortunately, Milt Sparks doesn't offer the Dual Talon anymore.  So I ordered the original Watch-Six this last Wednesday for a PPK/S.  Down the road I'll probably order two more.  This really is an awesome holster.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top