Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2003 4:24:23 PM EDT
This was my grate grampa's who gave it to my grampa,
who gave it to my dad who just gave it to me.
Its a 38 Special US Service CTG. Issued May 23, 1901.
Anyone know much about these?

I am surprised my dad gave it to me now. He collects
old pistols and this one is a family keepsake.

Is it worth anything?
Won't ever sell it since it has so much family history.

My dad also gave me this Smith and Wesson 45

Turned out to be a nice weekend with the family.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it's a S&W Hand Ejector, but the chambering confuses me slightly. There was a 38 United States Service Cartridge but that is different than the 38 Special (in fact it was the 38 Long Colt). Later the casing was lengthed, a larger bullet added and heavier charge. This was the 38S&W. It's slightly fatter but shorter than the modern 38Special.

This is the frame that became the M&P, then the K frame and the model 10 eventually. It's been in pretty much continuous production since 1895 right through to today and is probably the oldest continuously produced handgun ever.

If you can post the serial number I can try to get you a better indication of when it was made.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Its 119392
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that the number off the base of the grip? If so, the barrel may have been changed at some time in the past. That serial number actually points to a model of 1905 first change made around 1907-1908, commonly called the Military Police or M&P. By then it would have been most likely chambered in 38S&W but could have been 38 Special.

You got a real winner there. It's without a doubt the most successful handgun design ever, in production longer than even the 1911. Chances are it saw service in WWI and maybe WWII as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:42:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, this is the number on the base of the grip.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#5]
You'll shoot your eye out.

TRG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top