Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 1:20:59 PM EDT
Is there such a thing?  Who makes it?  Does it work OK?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#1]
speer (CCI) used to make shot loads for 38,357,and
44mag . Shot was fairly small and as with all shot
run thru a rifled barrel would tend to throw a
donut type of pattern.Some barrel lengths would be
better or worse but results would be generally
spotty-more for pest control than any hunting use.
At one time the empty shot bottles could be had with load spec in the speer pistol reload book.
close work only-snakes and rats at 10-15 ft
NHSPORT
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have not used the "birdshot" in the .44 magnum caliber, but I have used it with the .22 LR in my Ruger New Single Six about a 6" barrel. I would imagine the results are pretty much the same for the .44 mag. At 15 yds. (45 feet) the pattern is scattered, with the small shot spread all over a human size target. It works best around 6 feet (under 1 yard) and out from your feet at least 6 feet. (otherwise you will put the shot into your shoe, boot or foot.) Great for snakes since you don't have a single shot at a moving target. Not good for much else. I have posted a target showing the birdshot at 15 yds. shot at a human sized target. The birdshot is circled in red. at http://www.geocities.com/rugercal480 look under targets and birdshot.
Ruger (Mike)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top