Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 8:17:37 PM EDT
Made two sets of damascus 1911 grips just to see how they would turn out. They weigh in at 8.1 oz. each set. These are obviously not for everyday carry as they are heavy and need to be taken care of after use. They are pretty evil looking. Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 6:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
There may be a market for those or at least for HEAVY grips to help control recoil.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Lovely.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:02:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Me likey!
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
sorry, but they don't trip my trigger
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Neat...

can you checker them?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Awesome!

All you need now is a Caspian damascus slide
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Wanna make some more????
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Great idea but you can hardly see the Damascus figure as they have so much machining on them.

I would like to see a set of regular full length ambi safety grips in SMOOTH POLISHED. Or checkered classic double diamond 20LPI with the 2 Diamonds on each side polished polished.

I'm sure checkering would be a real bitch so thats why I said OR.

You could probably relieve the backside of the grips to lighten weight.

It's when you polish the Damascus that the figure shows up and they look bad ass

What special things have to be done to take care of them? Do they rust? Thanks for the pics though.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks cool, kinda like snake skin.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I need to say they were a pain in the A$$ to make. Had to slow the CNC machine down real slow. Drill and bore out screw holes. Mill ambi-safety cut. Sandblast, then etch in a light solution of acid. This is what actually brings out the appearance of the two steels. A light sanding w/ 600 grit and a light coat of militec. It may not seem like a long process but it is.

GreenO, I agree that the Gator back texture does not show off the damascus like I thought. There was only one way to find out though. Next time I have a days worth of nothing to do and $180 worth of damascus laying around I'll try a texture with some flats on them.

As for taking care of them, you would need to keep a light coat of oil on them when not in use. They will rust otherwise.

Like anything else, the more I play with them, the more I like them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there some type of clear epoxy that you can coat them with so that they won't rust?  And I like the idea of hollowing out the back side so they won't be so heavy.  GOOD JOB, BTW!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
So you will make me a set for $180 right

Could you perhaps make them out of two different grades of stainless so as not to be such a rust hazzard?  I am showing what I know about metal now (not much).

I have a knife that has a layer of nickel in the carbon steel -- nice set of.

Please post pics if you do another set.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the looks of those a lot.  Too bad they are too cost prohibitive to make more of.  If you decide to make up another set let me know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:22:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like the look of them.  "Evil" is exactly right.  The grain of the metal does kind of get lost in the machining, but that doesn't bother me much.  I think Norrell's moly resin clear coat would be a good sealant to keep the rust off of them.

And regarding cost, there is no such thing as a firearm accessory that is too pricey.  Look at all these people paying $1000 for a scope.  When it comes to customization, people are looking for anything to set their guns apart from the rest.  There is definitely a market for these.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top