Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2003 5:52:14 PM EDT
I shot a 357 Ruger that was stainless about 2 years ago.  I remember thinking it seemed like it was built as tough as a tank.  I also like the cylinder release too.  Are these good guns cause I'm thinking about buying one.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
As Aimless said, Ruger triggers are less than perfect. Rugers are indeed built like a tank. They'll take the heavy unting loads for longer than a S&W w/o having its timing go off.

OTOH, Rugers are cheaper than S&Ws for a reason too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:02:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the Smiths and older Colts but Ruger certainly makes fine wheelguns too. Personally, I think the balance on the sevurity-six is a little better than the newer GP series but that is totally subjective.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi Aimless,
Everything said so far is true.  I've got a couple of Smiths and a Ruger Super Redhawk.  Smith's tend to have a somewhat more refined finish (particularly in areas where you can't see very easily) and excellent triggers.  The Rugers are heavier because they use castings, but don't hold this against them.  They're excellent guns.  My Super Redhawk is VERY accurate.  I've mounted a 4x Leupold scope on it and can plaster a 5.5" twenty-five yard pistol bullseye target at one hundred yards with it.  Both Smith and Ruger are very good with customer service - Ruger has an outstanding reputation in this regard.  I've had my ups and downs with handguns but I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to buy firearms from either of these two companies.
Coolio
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a few Ruger revolvers, sp-101 for concealed would be a good choice, or the good ole gp-100 with a 6" barrel for targets out to 50 yards is good too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's see, in my shooting group there are six of us. All but one own a GP-100.  And he has a Blackhawk, so we still let him come out and play with us.

Built like a brick s#$% house.  You'll wear out before the gun does.  Your grandkids will probably wear out before the gun does. Best factory grips on the market, at least for my hands.  Cheaper than Smiths (and I like Smtihs a lot, own several).  Their blueing isn't as nice as Smith, but if you go stainless its a toss up.  As a rule Smith triggers will be nicer but not that much.  Ruger much easier to take apart. Accuracy equal in my experience.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My thoughts on Rugers:
Extremely durable
Well-engineered, probably 'overbuilt'
As accurate as any other firearm out-of-the box
Service/Parts can be a headache
Their corporate politics SUCK
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Ruger GP100 in stainless steel. It is a durable weapon and is plent accurate enough. They are good guns that will last a lifetime, and will even stand up to a steady diet of heavy handloads if you are in to that sort of thing.

Triggers on them are generally not all that good, but that can be fixed with a trip to a semi-competent gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Oh, oh...now you've done it! The countdown has started before Jim Dandy chimes in. You have been warned!
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Ready & waiting.  I stand by my statement.

Same goes for S&W and Colt, to varying degrees.

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Don't start in on something you don't understand. Since we are on the same page on many other issues, I'll leave it at that.

Service/Parts can be a headache

Depends what you define as "headache." As the largest firearms manufacturer in North America, there are naturally going to be more Ruger firearms out there than anything else. In the current climate of liability issues, nobody wants to take the credit for fucking up. It's always somebody else's fault. That being the case, Ruger has been the target of many, many, many lawsuits that really ought to be attributed to pure and unadulterated NEGLIGENCE. To minimize their liability, they provide almost NO parts to consumers for their firearms. However, they service everything they manufacture and 99.9% of the time, AT NO COST!!! I don't see that as a headache.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 6:31:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't think that we are that far off on this topic either.  

I understand the philosophy behind their policies, I simply disagree.

If our legislators would stop enacting feel-good gun control laws and pass some meaningful tort reform, this would be a moot point.

As for parts/service, wouldn't most of us rather buy the parts and pay minimal shipping charges than ship off an entire weapon at considerable expense? Not to mention the risk of the package being "lost" by UPS/FEDEX/???.  I hate the feeling I get after I ship a firearm and begin the 'hurry up & wait' process.

That said, I own eight Ruger firearms, and I'll likely own another after the fun-show this weekend.  I enjoy their products, I just don't like their 'politics'.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys, a Ruger may well be in my immediate future.
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Whatever you do, for the love of God,

POST SOME PICS!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top