Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2003 10:59:29 AM EDT
I just picked up a new S&W Performance center model 629 stealth hunter .44 mag. Would like some suggestions on scope selection for hunting purposes with this gun. Never had a scoped revolver before. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Bushnell 2x6 variable scope mounted on a Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag that I use for deer and black bear (taken several deer....no bear as of yet) and find it to be a very nice scope. I've had it on there for over ten years and its still going strong. No problems.

A 2x6 is nice.......though for the most part its set on 3x. About the only time it will get cranked up to 6x is at the range or when I'm scoping a deer and in a seated/supported position.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Leupold makes a nice handgun scope. But they ain't cheap!

I'd check Shotgun News for scope dealer ads & see what fit your budget best & match that with quality as much as possible.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the Leupold too. Cost is not really an issue as I'm not going to put a cheap scope on a quality and expensive handgun. I'm told Burris makes a quality handgun scope but have never looked through one. Not looking for alot of magnification but I,m leaning towards one with a good size objective.
Steve, that Bushnell 2x-6x-is that the Elite 3200 series?
Thanks guys!  
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
JD Jones also recommends the Bushnell 2-6x on his hand cannons......I have a Simmons Gold Medal 2.5-7x(discontinued) on my 375 JDJ, and a Leupold 2x on my Taurus Raging Bull 454 casull..a T/C 2-7x on my contender 44 mag....
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Bushnell 2x6.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a weaver 4X over a year or so ago.  I ran for around 150 or so.  I love it.  The weak point is the mounting system on my blackhawk.  As for the scope, not a complaint in the world.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#7]
i am going to break with the herd and recommend a Aimpoint ML2 or any other quality red dot product.  because of unlimited eye relief, its easy to pick up the dot on moving game.  with a powered scope you have to put your eye in exactly the right spot in order to even see the target.  out to 50-100 yds i don't think you can beat a red dot.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys, thanks for all the info! I'm going to check out a red dot and see what they are like, but will probably go with a fixed 2X. Don't think the higher magnifications would be necessary in the type of terrain I hunt in.
Have a good one!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
In a 2x scope you can't beat the Leupold extended eye relief pistol scope.  Have one on a Ruger Blackhawk .41 Magnum that was my Dad's.  I bought the scope for him as a Christmas present 20 years ago and it is still as clear and sharp as the day we mounted it.  Used it to kill a 6 point buck in his honor two years ago.
Top Top