Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2003 6:41:09 AM EDT
I have a  blued Colt 1991 Government.  As the finish wears off I am considering a new finish.  I have been seriously considering the Robar Roguard or NP3 finish.  Does anyone have any experience with these, the company or other finishes they would recomend?  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 10:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Robar is top notch & stands behind their work 110%. The Np3 finish is supposed to be the cat's ass for finishes.

Avoid nickel as it scratches easily & chrome has a tendency to flake off.

If you want to have fun, call them & tell them you wish to have it finished in stainless steel.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Hard chrome or boron carbide are the toughest finishes currently available, with the possible exception of something like titanium nitride.

Roguard and NP3 are pretty good but they will wear off significantly faster than a good plating, even nickel. Since these cost about the same as a plating job, I'd go for hard chrome.

Here is a good page showing how NP3 and Roguard hold up to use and normal wear.

www.ont.com/users/kolya/HiPo.htm
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO, a lot would depend on if you wanted looks or just something durable.
On that gun, I may be forced to keep the slide blue/black unless you want to change the front sight, being staked in. A silver front sight loses contrast and gets hard to see under certain conditions.
No votes for a two tone finish?
Having seen a few 1911s in electroless nickel, I think that's a classy look, at least to my eye.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#4]
The Colt is my carry gun.  I would like to get both durability and looks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 12:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Colt is my carry gun.  I would like to get both durability and looks.

Hard chrome is the best combination of abrasion resistance and corrosion resistance. If you don’t mind a white gun hard chrome is the way to go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top