Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2003 10:09:27 PM EDT
I have a disability and am looking for pistols with a really light slide pull. Anything from .32's to 9mm's. Would be for a future CCW piece. I already checked out the Beretta tomcat but didnt like it much. Thanks for any help!

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Colt Mustang 380, ya can just hang the rear sight on your jeans and work the slide w/ one hand on grip, very little slide tension.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
A relative of mine has somewhat reduced use of his hands and one of the things he has done is to attach an aftermarket "hook" to assist in pulling back the slide.  He no longer has the pistol, but it did work well on a Colt 1911 he had.  I don't know where he got the device, but can check the next time I see him.  Whether you would want to avoid "hooks" on a concealed pistol, I guess is up to you.  It is, however, an option.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have all the normal dexterity in my hands just not the strength in my arms to rack most slides. Ive considered revolvers but I'm more of auto man myself and like the idea of having more ammo capacity. I tried the keltec 32 and that had one of the stiffest springs Ive ever tried. I find that DA pistols where I can cock the hammer first makes it easier to rack. But anyhow I'm curious what handguns you guys have come across with light slide pulls. Thanks for your replys

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#5]

You might look at a CZ 100 - first it may be under sprung as far as the recoil spring goes - and this gives it an easy rack - second - if you feel it is still too stout, it has a protuberence - on the top of the slide that can serve as a "catch" so that you can hold the gun muzzle down, engage this area against an edge of a table or other object and push down to cycle the slide.  It is my understanding that this was designed this way for the Czech police so they can cycle the gun with one hand if the other is not free- I don't think they carry one in the  tube.  I have the  40 cal version, and with this spring in it the brass does fly - I'd get the 9mm.  Be forwarned, however that the CZ 100 has an incredibily long trigger pull - revolver like, and it cannot redone to shorten it in any appreciably way.

If you want a 380, look at a Beretta  model 87 - it has a tilt up barrel, Load the mag, insert; place another round in the barrel, engage the barrel.  takes essentially no arm strength.

Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing to consider is your technique when working a slide. I see many people hold the gun away from their body at arms length, and then try to grab the slide to pull it back. There is a much more ergonomic way to do this.

Hold the pistol close to your body, with a overhand grip on the slide. Pull the side back while at the same time pushing the trigger frame forward. Just make sure you have the gun pointed downrange and a safe direction when you do this. It gives you a lot more leverage.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:57:46 AM EDT
[#7]
The HK USP 9's slide pull seemed pretty light to me, maybee you could consider it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The HK USP 9's slide pull seemed pretty light to me, maybee you could consider it.

Agree.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#9]
What do those run $?

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#10]
H&Ks run about $650 & up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#11]
They are heavier compared to most other handguns?

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
No, polymer frame. Pretty light.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my wife a beretta 3032 tomcat in .32.

the coolthing is, it's got a hinge at the bottom of the muzzle. you just push a lever and the barrel flips up,exposing the chamber, much like a doudle-barrel shotgun.then, you just drop a round into the chamber, flip the barrel back down, and you are fully armed!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Kel-Tec P32 and a CZ50, and I think that you can forget about a little .32 having an easy to pull slide.  My FEG hi-power isn't too bad if you cock the hammer first, but that may not be viable depending on the nature of your disability.

Although I don't think it's very pretty, the Berreta 86 .380 might be what you need.  You don't even have to rack the slide... just tip up the barrel and drop a round in the chamber.

EDIT:  Why not a revolver?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a Kel-Tec P32 and a CZ50, and I think that you can forget about a little .32 having an easy to pull slide.  My FEG hi-power isn't too bad if you cock the hammer first, but that may not be viable depending on the nature of your disability.

Although I don't think it's very pretty, the Berreta 86 .380 might be what you need.  You don't even have to rack the slide... just tip up the barrel and drop a round in the chamber.

EDIT:  Why not a revolver?

I admit I dont own a revolver but I just didnt like the feel and the triggers on em when I handle them at the shop. I have fine dexterity just not the strength to rack em. Been considering the Berreta 86 but I can seem to locate one to try out or handle. On the Berreta Tomcat (.32 version) I had a hard time locking the barrel back down. Looking into the Colt Mustang, I like the cocked and locked idea as well as the 380 round. I'll have too check out the H&K's too. Thanks for your help so far.

-MrMaeda
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Just wondering: Is recoil a significant concern? Weakness of the hands may turn into an injury of the hands if you fire a pistol with a lot of recoil. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#17]
lemme tell you what i learned over 50 years ago about working the slide on a 19ll type auto.

don't  pull the slide back.  turn the operative hand around and push the slide to the rear.   hands and arms work in opposition to each other quite nicely. works on most autos.  no recoil spring is strong enough to resist this.

my 90# weakling daughter in law can do the push thing easily, never the pull way.  puts the thumb in perfect position with the slide lock too.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with happyoldsailor, you will find you have more strength to push than pull.
I also have found, out of the dozens of autos that I have owned, the HK USP has the lightest pull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top