Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2003 6:12:42 PM EDT
There is a dealer that will take mu buckmark plus 85 bucks for a P22 with 3 inch barrel?  I like that the 22 is lighter and looks more like my other pistols.  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The ratio of unhappy P-22 owners to happy ones in here is something like 20 to 1. I'd strongly urge you to keep the Buckmark. Your dealer knows he can sell the Buckmark quickly while the Walther lingers on his shelf.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Add me to the happy P22 list. But, I have never owned a Buckmark. My P22 ran through several hundred rounds last weekend on it's first outing without a single hiccup. With all the bad karma floating around about it, I kept waiting for it to jam. After a while, I forgot about all that and just had fun. I particularly like the fact that I can attach silencer without any gunsmithing, and the fact that the mag release is identical to my H&K USP40C.

I love my P22 and I will be taking her back out ion the morning.

Bob

Link Posted: 7/18/2003 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#3]
DONT DO IT -- the buckmark is a MUCH better pistol.
i wont say the walther is a bad pistol, but MANY people are having trouble with theres.

i would prolly gaurantee that the buckmark will shoot better than the walther.

"looks" like your other pistols? looks fade, and substance stays.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I own both the Buckmark and a P22.  While Im happy with the P22 for what it is (plinker), the Buckmark is much more versitile, and more accurate.  The P22 is a cute little toy in my book, the Buckmark is my keeper .22 auto.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 3:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Given the fact we are not talking thousands of dollars here, maybe keep the Buckmark and put the P-22 on layaway?
At least if the Walther does work out, you will then have two fine .22s.
If not, you will still have the proven Buckmark and not have to repurchase one, after losing money on the first one.
This would be less of a problem if the little Walther lived up to it's name, initially.
At least make sure the Walther has the updated magazines and are marked as such, if you go that route.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Buckmark......
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
IMHO, your dealer has a real sense of humor, or he's testing yours. If you're into slide releases that eat into the slide and then won't catch, the worlds worst mag release, plastic sights and the ability to buy a new barrel with a fake muzzle brake that won't stay tight, thereby throwing your sights off, then what the heck; go for it. Oh yes; don't forget the safety that won't engage because the roll pin backs out and the bottom grip panel roll pin that refuses to stay in place.

OTOH, maybe I got the only one that had these little problems. I KNOW I'm not the only one that got rid of the POS as soon as possible, taking a substantial loss, because of the P22's reputation. PsOS don't last long around here.

Frankly,it would be a poor trade if the dealer offered you the $85 boot and threw in an extra barrel. IMHO, of course. YMMV, or maybe not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Buckmark - A .22 is supposed to look like a .22 not a compact 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Got 2 buckmarks - tack drivers, will shoot all ammo that is purchased. My P22 had severe jamming issues - finally works OK with a steady diet of CCI stingers (not the cheapest ammo for a .22) and > 1500 rounds down the barrel, but it is no where near as accurate as the buckmarks.  I am not impressed with the way the P22 adjusts for elevation; - you have to remove the front site (they give you three to choose from), but I find myself like Goldilocks one is too big and the other too small, I can not find the "just right" front sight.

Do I still shoot the P22 - yeah, but I don't fret that the groups are not up to what I would like.

Your "friendly" gun dealer ain't so friendly - I'd advise NO DEAL.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 5:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked the Raahagues kids fair today for SSA (the people who put on the Steel matches I shoot bi weekly.) We had about 6 P22's. Half were the ones with the fake muzzle breaks, the other half were the short 3.5" barrels. They were brand new guns. All I can say is that they are complete peices of junk. Countless instances of failures to eject or feed. The ones with the fake muzzle breaks kept coming apart. Furthermore they tended to eject the cases back into the shooters faces. Granted that may be due to limp wristing or improper grip because we had a bunch of new shooters. We had a equal number of the S&W 22's. Those ran fairly reliable. We had 1000 shooters today, and I think I've seen a 3rd of them have trouble with the p22's. I test drove one myself, nicest thing I can say is I was not impressed.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Well it seems everyone favors the buckmark.  deep down I felt the same way, I was just intrigued by them.  I will keep it and maybe look for one of those POS p22's people are dumping just to give it a whirl.
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I put about 5,000 rounds through my p22 so far.  It is kind of strange.  If I keep the barell lose buy undoing the front cap by about 2 full turns it runs flawlessly.  How ever if I torque it down it is a jam o matic.  I just run it with the cap lose and it is a great plinker.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my Buckmarkplus. I shot a P22, it was OK, but was way too small. I'm not sure where walther thought it's niche would be.....Too expensive to rattle around a tackle box, and too small to be much of a target pistol....
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Why trade a pistol and $85 for a pistol that sells for $220? Am I missing something? You are practically half way there money wise anyways. Just buy it.

Just seems like a pretty bad deal to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#15]
my p22 is a complete and total POS.  it's the worst gun i've ever owned.  i've got about 3k rounds through it, and it's already been to walther.  It's now having the same problems that it did before.  
Don't even look at one.  Mine has visible gouges in the slide from the action.  Half the time i have to pull the trigger twice to have the round in the chamber fire.  I rarely shoot it anymore because it pisses me off.  don't buy one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Keep the Buckmark. I had a P-22 & sold it cause it was a jam-o-matic. Only later did I find out the mags were the issue. My grandfather bought one with the updated mags & it has been fine. Now I have other .22's..... Colt Huntsman, Woodsman, High Standard, etc. The Buckmark is probably the nicest modern production .22 pistol you can buy.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I had a P22...as stated above, it was a Jam o' matic...not one round I feed it, no matter the maker, would feed more than 2 in a row...

I got new mag after new mag from Walther/S&W to no avail, it was a piece of crap...

Keep the Buckmark and if you really want a small .22 get a Beretta....at least those are reliable....

I traded mine for a M4 carbine upper complete with a bolt and charging handle.....I think I came out like a bandit...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 10:02:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow. I am sure feeling lucky. I have a Buckmark and it is a fine kit gun. Nothing spectacular, but functional and reasonably accurate.

I also have a P22 and love it! I have had zero problems with it... none of the issues mentioned above. The only drawback to me is a really poor trigger. BUT... i bought this for and use it only as a backpack or pocket gun while out in the brush.

I did not expect great accuracy and it's OK. Not great, but not bad. It is very handy and I like mine. That being said, these are two very different pistols for two different jobs. If it were me... I would have both.

Wait... I do have both!
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 1:49:31 PM EDT
[#19]
A gun designed by browning.  And you want to get rid of it?

The buckmark is a much better gun than the p-22

TXL
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep the Buckmark or trade it for a Ruger 22/45. BTW, for those that think adding threads is $$$ for a Ruger, I am having mine done with a thread protector for $60. A notable Class 3 suppressor is doing it. Its about the same cost as that barrel adapter for the P22.

Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:54:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Another p22 owner with little or no problems..
except my pistol loves high velocity ammo....It is a fun little gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top