Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2003 9:30:08 AM EDT
I'm interested in buying a 1911 and the Arms cor models have suggested to me. They're inexpensive and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on them. The local gunsmith has one and it seems to have a lot of failures but I'm not sure if it's the weapon or his working on it. I want a 1911 and a good value but also a gun that works.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
If I recall, Armscor makes Charles Daly 1911s.  Their quality has gone up considerably lately.  It might still be a little of a gamble on one.  If you can pony up a little more, I'd recommend getting a Springfield Armory... if a little more, get a Kimber.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember that you almost ALWAYS get what you pay for. Pay a little more and get a base model Colt or Springfield.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
SGB:  Sometimes, you do NOT get what you pay for.  The $600 1991A1 Colt Combat Commander that I had was NOT a good piece.  I gave it away because I didn't want to rip anyone off.  Literally.  I'm a good shot, ESPECIALLY with a 1911, and this thing couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  I'd use my $225 Norinco during the same session, and hit X's all day, WITH THE STOCK BARREL AND BUSHING! (Trigger, sights, mainspring, and safety were changed)  Prices are in 1993 dollars.

There have also been problems with the front of the slide coming off on the Springfield pistols.

I have handled the new Charles Daly's and the old ones.  The old ones SUCKED.  The new ones actually look to be a good bang-for-the-buck, as they are tight, and apparently have much better QC than they used to.  With the extra features, I fully intend to buy an EFS with my overtime money. (30 hours of OT this week).  Of course, I'd ditch the extended slide stop and replace with a GI one.  I don't want the slide held back at the wrong moment because my meathooks hit the thing by mistake during recoil!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm really interested in the Armscor M1911 A1 FSP. All I really want is something reliable and will hold a group. Springfield Armory's look nice too. I've been a Glock shooter and don't know a whole lot about 1911's
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:44:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If you wish to own a POS that has virtually NO resale value, then by all means buy an Armscorp.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Bob you just drove the point across. That's the feed back I needed to hear. I'll be looking at the Springfield now.[;}]
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll be looking at the Springfield now.[;}]

I bought both of my Springfields used to save $$$$. If you're not sure of protecting yourself on a bad buy, have someone you **know** who knows what they're doing check it out for you.

If you're going the new gun route, the Springfield will be a better value than Colt or Kimber.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, get whichever one YOU like, Glock Boy!  Dodge, Chevy, Ford, whatever!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top