Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2003 2:57:55 PM EDT
Ive been searching for a 9mm for a while now, and Im getting impatient with myself. I need some advice. Ive looked at the Beretta 92FS, and the 92C and I think I like the C better, but was wondering if it was as good, and if its magazines were hard to find. I understand that you can use the 15 round magazines with it, but I would prefer to use the 13 round magazines. Ive also been looking at the HK USP 9, and the HK P2000. If I were to buy on right now, Id go with the USP, but dont know if this is a wise decision. I would probably buy a used HK, since I cant afford it new. I cant find much info on the P2000 and would like to know its price compared to the USP. If I sould be looking at something I didnt mention here, please tell me. Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention I have also looked at the Glock 19, so my list to choose from so far is the Beretta 92FS and C, Glock 19, and the HK USP 9 and P2000.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Out of your list, I'd go with the G19.

I dont particularly like Glocks, but the 19 is incredibly efficient for its size and capacity.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend you have a look at the Sig line of handguns also.  I like the P-239 as compact size weapon.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it sounds like you're on a budget, buy an issue of Shotgun News to compare used prices.  KY Imports and a couple other companies who always advertise in there have tons of used 9mms to choose from at good (usually) prices.

My vote goes for the G19 from the ones on your list.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Springfield XD-9
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,
Sounds like you are leaning toward the composite frame guns. Let me just intise you with some other considerations.
Walther P99, Springfield XD9.
In the all steel category,look at the Browning Hipower, CZ75B, HK-P7.
The other gentleman is right, any Sig is a good choice. The only thing I'll add is, buy quality even if it costs a little more. You will be much more happy in the long run...  Later thedr
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Best bang for you buck is gonna be the G19
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Springfield XD-9

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
My vote is for the Beretta 92F of Browning Hi-Power.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
See if you can rent them first and get a better feel for whats right for you.
My choice of the ones you have mentioned would be the HK USP.
However, I would STRONGLY suggest you take a look at the SIG 226 and 228 as well. There are many very nice used SIGs, police trades and such, and hicaps are plentiful.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Spectre is right, the $399 Sig P226 police trade ins are the way to go.  Some for a few bucks more have night sights.  A refinish down the road when you have saved up some more money will run around $100 at the most.  Used preban highcaps can be had for under $40, I just picked up 5 used factory P226 highcaps for $150 shipped.

Remember, most times, police trade-in means lots of carry, little use, maintained by professional armorers.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
See if you can rent them first and get a better feel for whats right for you.
My choice of the ones you have mentioned would be the HK USP.
However, I would STRONGLY suggest you take a look at the SIG 226 and 228 as well. There are many very nice used SIGs, police trades and such, and hicaps are plentiful.

Exactly how I would have put it
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
1. Glock 17 or 19
2. H&K USP
3. Beretta 92FS

The mags for the USP are so damn pricey that this automatically bumps it back to #2 IMHO. Other than that it is a good gun. I generally prefer the original 9mm Glocks to their later stuff. Look around and you will rarely if ever see any complaints about the G17 and 19. I'm not really crazy about the Beretta for a variety of reasons, but that's just me. The Sig P226, 228 and 229's are also good pistols. I also like the Smith and Wesson 5906. Those are my favorite 9mm's. I have yet to gain any trigger time with the XD 9 so I won't comment about it.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hello,
Sounds like you are leaning toward the composite frame guns. Let me just intise you with some other considerations.
Walther P99, Springfield XD9.

-Love my Walther P99QA in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#14]
The Glock 17 or 19 by a long shot.  300,000 rounds without a failure cannot be wrong.  Frozen in ice, buried in sand, dunked in mud, submersed in water, driven over by an SUV, fired dry, 33 total parts, size efficient, combat accurate, salt-water resistant finish, integral light rails, single action-like trigger, no need for decocker, 3 passive safeties, any questions?
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 8:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I think you need to decide what type of gun you want first. A Beretta 92 series is a full size (oversized even) service pistol, while a Glock 19 is a compact.

Personally, if I were going to buy a new full size 9mm it would be a Springfield XD-9 because for $18.00 you can get hicap mags or it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The Glock 17 or 19 by a long shot.  300,000 rounds without a failure cannot be wrong.  Frozen in ice, buried in sand, dunked in mud, submersed in water, driven over by an SUV, fired dry, 33 total parts, size efficient, combat accurate, salt-water resistant finish, integral light rails, single action-like trigger, no need for decocker, 3 passive safeties, any questions?

Other than the cheaper price, how would this be different than an H&K? The H&K is way way cooler, too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#17]
G17 with 2 rd mag extensions.  20 in the pistol and two 19 rd mags for reloads.  thats 58 rds on hand.  yep, this is a load to pack and IMO way too much firepower unless i'm in LA riots or something similar.  i strap this rig on a couple times a year in cool weather to test my endurance.  i do think that if i haven't resolved my prob in about 8 rds, the 50 more won't help.  G26 with no extra mag is far simpler.

there is no dirth of 9MM's out there.  get what you like and shoot it a lot.  most are damn fine guns.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:38:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Checked out a Walther P99 today and I must say I was impressed with the ergonomics, very impressed.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got the 92FS 9MM and love it as far as accuracy and reliability are concerned, but the only time I can carry it concealed is in the cooler weather here in AZ, due to it's size. I also have a Browning HiPower in 9MM and it's a little more compact than the 92FS, shoots just as good, but it's still a little large and single action to boot.
My favorite carry piece is the Sig P239 (mine's in .40S&W). It's lighter and more compact than either the HiPower or the Beretta, VERY accurate, VERY reliable and double action also. Can't weigh in on the others, haven't experienced them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The Beretta 92's are great guns and I carry a 92 that Ernie Langdon worked on for me as my #1 carry gun. (A Les Baer Custom 1911 stays at home in favor of the Beretta. This should tell you how good that Beretta is...)

I am also very fond of the CZ-75, as every one I have seen is of excellent quality. I think they are the most under-rated 9mm pistols out there.

Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree with John_Wayne777...the CZ-75s are great, underated pistols.  I've shot one, and know a guy who shoots IPSC that loves it.  

You certainly have to consider the XD-9 in what that group of pistols.  I love mine, everybody who shoots it ends up buying one, or an XD-40.  Quantico Arms sells 'em local here at shows for $389...still a steal.  I think the store price is $399, and even if you add shipping and transfer fee, you looking at around $440.  

The mags for the XD 40 fit and function perfectly in the XD-9, giving you a legal, affordable, 15 round mag.  

I've shot my buddy's G19; I like it, but it does not feel as good ergonomically as the XD-9, and I've never liked the Glock trigger.  

It does boil down to personal preference, but don't count the XD-9 out 'til you've tried one.  I bought mine as the HS2000, paid $269 for it NIB 2 years ago...knowing what I know about it now, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $400 or more for it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top