Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2003 9:08:06 PM EDT
I understand this to a certain extent for obvious reasons but is the higher priced "defensive" stuff REALLY that much more difficult to load?  Are the components that much more expensive?  Is it all the testing??  Or is it our insecurities that were willing to spend spend spend to feel safer?  I find it just a bit odd that I can buy a box of 50 rounds of quality plinking FMJ for around $11 but can spend over $20 for 20 rounds of +P HP, etc. stuff!  Just a thought!

I am sure I am missing something?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Marketing.

They can stick "Premium" on the box and damn near double the price.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Marketing.

They can stick "Premium" on the box and damn near double the price.

he he!  Exactly as I thought!  The Bastids!
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
You should not be paying more than $18 - $24 a 50-round box for defensive ammo.

The price is higher because the components are more expensive/complicated and you are paying for all the research & development.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Also (I don't know how true this is but I like to think that it is) you are paying for a higher level of quality control.   In this day and age, the company's collective ass is on the line if their self defense ammo fails to ignite.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also (I don't know how true this is but I like to think that it is) you are paying for a higher level of quality control.   In this day and age, the company's collective ass is on the line if their self defense ammo fails to ignite.

I buy that and when the tooling gets slightly worn, the budget line of ammo gets made.
I look at at this way...the "premium" ammo is the normal cost, the cheap plinkin' stuff is just less expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top