Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2007 11:13:14 AM EDT
Im thinking of buying a kahr pm9 or 45.. I would rarely see many people talk about these guns.. any pros cons would be appreciated?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
The PM9 is less likely to be reliable than the P9. Mine works well but must be well lubed, much more lube than a Glock. The trigger is pretty good and its accurate. Magazine changes are awkward cause of the short grip and its hard to hold on to with hot loads--like a KelTec .380 it wants to crawl out of your hands. Good BUG, bad primary.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks.. im just looking for something that conceals better than my xd... any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had one for about 3 years now.  Very smooth trigger and very reliable.  I always carry it and a spare mag.  It has a low capacity of 6 or 7 rounds but I always carry a spare mag.  Stays in my front pocket, that works great when I'm out and about with my two year old.  

Right now I'm using 147 grn Win PD.  I carried speer Gold Dots for years but have recently started using this round.  In this gun it has light recoil and is accurate.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been right sizing my CCW for years now, and have been carrying a P9 for the last 6 months.

High quality, smooth trigger pull, reliable with all types of 9mm hp's, and plenty accurate.  
I will probably trade it for a PM9 someday though, because it's even smaller.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been utterly reliable through about 500 + rounds. It's a solid design, and for what it's intended for, I don't think you can get much better. It is easily concealed. I have enjoyed carrying it bc it's so thin. The only downside for me is that I have pretty big hands, and I'm probly going to look for something a little bigger to hang on to. It can be a little bit of a handful with hot loads, but that's physics. I could control it pretty well even with +p+ loads. Though I wouldn't suggest putting the gun through routine batterings like that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#7]
My PM9 has been my everyday carry weapon since I bought it two years ago. It is just so easy to carry.

Pros:
It disappears in a pocket or IWB holster.
I find the trigger much nicer than that of a Glock.
Mag changes are quick if you practice.
The single stack magazines are slim enough to carry easily.
Quite accurate for such a small pistol.

Cons:
It is a low capacity weapon, so carrying spare magazines is a must.  
If you are ham-fisted the gun may not fit you well.
Magazines are spendy.
Recoil can be a bit much for inexperienced shooters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks guys im glad that you all had positive things to say about it.. helps make the decision of letting the money go alittle easier... the main selling point for me is the size but.size doesnt matter if its not reliable and it sounds as though it is a reliabel gun.. thanks a ton
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I have not owned one for long but it has been 100% and the trigger is much better than my G19.  It is IMO the best bug out there.  It hides so well and packs 9mm punch.  I carry it only when there is no way the G19 or my 1911 is going with me though.  You will not be disappointed.  Make sure to get one made in the last year or two.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry one every day as a BUG. It's a huge step up form the quintessential J-frame, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Great pistol, just know the limitations that the PM9 has. I am very happy I traded a tomcat for my PM9.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Very popular on both the Kahr forum (of course) as well as the Carry Issues forum.  The covert models (no longer available) give you two size options to carry.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Just don't think every PM9 is perfect.

I bought one of the very early ones.
Didn't have an issue for years.
My gun was actually on the barrel recall list, but since mine fed hollow point ammo, I didn't send it in.
Then there was a "sort of" recall about light mag release buttons.
Called Kahr and they sent me the new part.

There's a lot to like about the PM9.
1. Light
2. Small
3. Accurate
4. Reliable
5. Sweet trigger
6. Easy to shoot, as in soft recoil

Around 2000 rounds, I started seeing evidence of barrel peening on mine.
Knowing that it could become a serious problem, and Kahr's attempts to correct this weren't 100% successful, I sold it.
It is (was?) a problem with many PM9s.
In my opinion, it's still too early to declare that Kahr has fixed this issue.
I'd love to see some new PM9s get to 5 or 10,000 rounds with no problems.

I still think they are just about the perfect CCW gun.

The main gripe you'll find about Kahr is that customer service can be slow, rude, and send a gun back in worse condition than when it was sent in.
That situation doesn't seem to have changed over the years.
If your gun is good out of the box, then you shouldn't have any problems.
(Except for the peening issue, and time will tell about that.)

Some owners gripe about cosmetic issues that are silly to me.
(These are self defense guns, no collector pieces. )
Others have complained about the difficulty of chambering the first round.
That's just an operator training issue, IMO.
(Using the slide stop lever usually works fine.)

I've not given up on the brand though.
While I'm waiting to see how newer PM9s perform, I've picked up a CW9.
Almost as small, but in every other aspect listed above, it matches the PM9, and costs quite a bit less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top