Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 2:34:33 PM EDT
I recently picked up a Colt Government 1911A1, about 90%+ condition. I was in the market to purchase a new Rock Island .45 because I wanted a USGI spec pistol (my first .45), but a friends dad was selling this one and I didn't want to pass it up. I've checked some sites and it appears to be 1944 made, all original barrel, slide and frame (G.H.D. inspected)and "Coltwood 2" grips. It also came with a "L" marked mag in decent shape.

I have found alot of info after the sale, but I still can't seem to get a clear idea if the $550.00 I paid was a bargain or a rip-off. I have not seen one like it for sale at the gun store before-just newer models and the Rock Island I wanted was only about $350.00. Did I get screwed?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Tough to say without seeing it, but it is a very good price if its in good condition.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it is in good shape for it's age. I wish the guy I bought it from would tell me more about it-I know he was infantry in Korea because he showed me his "yearbook" (2nd I.D.) and mentioned a few times some stories about various "hills". Unfortunately, he won't talk about anything to do with combat, just the odd things that this or that person would do in the Army.

Regardless, his son has never really grown up and doesn't show a bit of interest in his dad's service, so even if the gun doesn't have a history, part of the reason I wanted it was the respect I have for the man who owned it. Even if I did pay too much, I know the money was appreciated and well-used.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
If the gun indeed is all original & a true WW2 era gun then yes, you got a deal. WW2 guns I see at gun shows are going for $650 for a POS looking one to $1200-1400 for a prime specimen.

DO NOT shoot this gun w/o FIRST replacing the recoil spring. A new spring will cost you less than $10.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice on the recoil spring and the value. I know I will have to shoot it at least once, even if I just give it a good home afterwards. I may just get a Rock Island after all so I don't have to worry about beating the Colt up...so much for the savings account!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The same thing happend to me yesterday. I went there to buy a SA Mil Spec, and he had a 1933 Colt Government Model, so I went with that and am going to ether get the SA Mil Spec or maybe the SA sub compact so I can carry it if I want to.

Edited to add: I paid $499 and is 90% condition. Im not real sure of what they go for, but I felt like I got an ok deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The same thing happend to me yesterday. I went there to buy a SA Mil Spec, and he had a 1933 Colt Government Model, so I went with that and am going to ether get the SA Mil Spec or maybe the SA sub compact so I can carry it if I want to.  

May I strongly suggest you replace your recoil spring ASAP before you shoot it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the reason behind changing the recoil spring in the older 1911's? I'm new to 1911's so I'm just curious. I havn't shot it yet, so changing it before I shoot won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Old springs would not take the kick of the gun so it should be replaced.
Wolff 18½lbs recoil spring is good to go in Government. In Commander I use 20lbs springs. Spring should be replaced after 3000- 4000 rounds (manufacturers suggestion). Anyway it is cheap insurace to save frame of your pistol.

I have personally TIG welded one cracked frame caused by old low powered spring. Pistol was Colt Govt. Model National Match which usually are supplied w/ looser springs to shoot low powered wad cutter loads.

MN
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Let's see: cost of one new Wolff spring, about $9-10.

Cost of a new frame from using a too low powered recoil spring: about $400-600, depending on the model.

Cheap insurance, fellows.    
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I may just get a Rock Island after all so I don't have to worry about beating the Colt up...so much for the savings account!

Stay away from RIA pistols. They are utter garbage.
All 3 that I have personally handled were total junk.
The second one a guy bought and he brought it to our range and the firing pin retainer plate kept falling out.
So he asks me to look it over, and low and behold, the firing pin tunnel is not centered )it was off to the left) and was rough as hell, and the firing pin was getting hung up and allowing the plate to fall out during the recoil stroke.
The 3rd one would barley go together, and had horrible fit and finish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top