Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 1:47:12 AM EDT
changed the thread to avoid double posting.

anyone own the Taurus  PT945?

if so, pro's and con's?

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
btt
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one.

Pro's:
1. Good shooter, never chokes on anything.
2. Slim.
3. Light weight.

Con's:
1. Sights are plastic (that is just plain stupid).
2. Has plastic guide rod (replaced with home made SS one).
3. Cocked and locked safety feature is useless, since it is not so well implemented as on 1911.
4. Quality of build could be better.
5. Aluminum frame (I like steel, this way you can still wack the BGs in the head with great results if you out of ammo).
6. Uses in my opinion non-adequate recoil spring, it eats them like crazy.

Overall, I prefer 1911 in Commander size.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks. the one im looking at dose have night sights. no snag ones. so the eliminates one of the cons. i didnt notice the plastic guide rod. im sure my guy can replace that for me with a ss one as well.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#5]
There is nothing wrong with a plastic guide rods, if that is what the gun was designed with.  I would surely trust my life to a factory plastic guide rod, before I did to a home made one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one that had a steel guide rod. Wonder when they went plastic? Mine was an early model bought in the early to mid 90's. Good gun, Sig 220 sized, accurate and would shoot just about anything but lead wadcutters, and factory mags were plentyful. The only problem with it was it hammer bit the hell out of me. There are grip sleeves out now that might cure that problem.

Shoot it before you buy would be my best advice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#7]

There is nothing wrong with a plastic guide rods, if that is what the gun was designed with. I would surely trust my life to a factory plastic guide rod, before I did to a home made one.

OK, Beretta 92 used to be equipped with steel GR, now days it comes with the plastic one (but was designed with the steel one). Don't see it as an improvement. Not a big deal, you can still get a steel one, since they make it for military contract guns. The question is why they do it? Just to squeeze extra profit.
BTW, the factory PT945 plastic GR looks and feels like shit, it flexes and I would not trust my life to it. The "home made", was actually made by professional machinist on state-of-art CNC center, and is a solid, superbly done piece.
Maybe I am a to much of a traditionist, but the only plastic that is acceptable near the guns - is a Credit Card (Glocks are exempted).

The only problem with it was it hammer bit the hell out of me.

I don't have this problem and I have large hands. To bad it did it to you.

Shoot it before you buy would be my best advice.

+1 If you can find one for rent or so.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top