Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2006 2:03:25 PM EDT
Doesn't the MK23 have adjustable sights?  I don't remember.

What I really want to know is: Are there any spec ops / operator / LE that have adjustable sights on there pistols.  Ones they carry and use daily obviously.  I'm sure some of you on here fit that description.  

I'm sure this has been hashed over before, so sorry about that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah. Delta has been known to use adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the problem is more with certain types of adjustables rather than adjustable sights in general.

I've read more than one account of Bo-Mars flying apart.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
At the risk of being called a troll for bringing up HK by a certain someone...

The USP Tactical has adjustable sights on it.  the MK23's are adjustable, but not in a traditional sense one would think of adjustable sights.

The USP Tactical, and the MK23, are both known to be used by SOCOM.  

My way of thinking, is if they're good enough for SOCOM, they're good enough for me.

Neither my MK23 nor my USP Tactical have ever given me any issues.  The USP Tactical doesn't exactly get babied either.

As pointed out above, CAG uses adjustable sights on some of their stuff as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
So if the bomars are no good, which ones are good?  Combat Jack, you said Delta is known to use them, any idea what kind???
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
how are mark 23 sights adj?  i knew driftable but not elev.  the mmc and novak extreme duty seem tough enough.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So if the bomars are no good, which ones are good?  Combat Jack, you said Delta is known to use them, any idea what kind???

Whatever Springer puts on them. All I know is that the springer rep says they built for them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I carried a S&W Model 15 wheelgun with adjustable sights for nearly twenty years without a single problem.

Granted, the S&W rear sights are pretty rugged.  The only ones I ever recall seeing messed up were on revolvers that were dropped from a considerable distance onto a concrete floor.  

That said, I definitely prefer the SIG-SAUER approach of offering fixed sights of adjustable heights.

And needless to say, AR-15s and M16s have adjustable sights!  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Your springer rep is full of it. Army SOCOM units have their own armorers and handle weapon customization in house.

Quoted:
Whatever Springer puts on them. All I know is that the springer rep says they built for them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:48:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I think a large part of it is the snag issue.  Some sights are less snaggy then others.  Some adjustables also have tritium inserts, but for the most part, these are features more common to fixed sights.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the MMC adjustables.  I have a set on each of my USP compacts because the stock sights shoot low for me.  They are very strong and pretty low profile as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#12]
As long as they do not snag and are built tough I would say they would be great for self defense.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:42:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a big fan of the MMC adjustables.  I have a set on each of my USP compacts because the stock sights shoot low.  They are very strong and pretty low profile as well.

Got a link to these sights?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your springer rep is full of it. Army SOCOM units have their own armorers and handle weapon customization in house.

Quoted:

So they are all built on USGI frames Or do they buy outside components

If you have inside information, I am all ears.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, I think he's thinking of the meusoc, which we talk about extensively on here.  But maybe not.  They buy parts commercially too.  But they don't use adjustables, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not so much inside information as much as it is having been around in uniform since 1982. I shot on a military rifle and pistol team in one of my old units, and shoot on the NYANG team. We shot against teams from the NG and USAR SF units, as well as at Army level and interservice matches. None of the SF guys would violate opsec and let loose with any real classified stuff, but we all talked about what we brought to the matches. As of the mid 1990's, there were very very few units still using 1911's. All the 'regular' Army SF units issue the M9, although they all have the MK23 on their TOE. No one will come right out and say it, but a majority of the 1911's in use are a combination of Caspian and Springfield slides and frames. Things like trigger length, mainspring arch, checkering and other grip features, and sights are done at the users request. Name a top of the line parts supplier, and you will probably find some of their in these pistols. There are some USGI 1911 frames and slides still floating around these units. The problem is the Army hasn't bought a USGI 1911 since WWII, and most of their pistols were retired due to excessive wear. I remember seeing frames that had been rearsenaled so many times the SN's and other markings looked like they were put on with a script roll mark instead of the block lettering they were susposed to look like. You can only rebuild something so many times before it just wears out.

The Marines took some good natured flack recently over using frames marked 'U.S. Army'. The USMC dosen't have the budget SOCOM does, so they had to make due with what they could get their hands on.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Got a link to these sights?

Thanks!

MMC Sights

They can be purchased directly from Brownells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top